PDA

View Full Version : Needle to use with HyperD

Xtrm tj
01-27-2015, 21:41
I just getting ready to make a TQ withe HyperD 1.0 Charcoal. :). I am hesitant to what type needle I should use. I don't have a ton of thread injecting experience. Ripstop is really all I injected. So all info is welcome..

I'm going to use the diygearsupply plan on this with the exception of wanting to add a drawcord cinch at the head end.

So bring on the thoughts....thanks ALL!!

Ramblinrev
01-27-2015, 22:16
There are essentially three types of needles you are likely to find in most stores. They are designated by point style. "Sharp" points are used for woven fabrics. You can use a sharp on any woven fabric I am aware of. "Ball point" are used for knits and specialty stretch fabrics. Some non-woven materials are also candidates for ball point needles. "Universal" points are an attempt to merge sharps and ball points giving you the worst of both and best of neither. They are fine for all around use but they don't do as nice a job as the proper point does. Specialty needles such as a leather needle should not be used on anything other than leather and heavy non-wovens like tyvek for example. The so-called denim needle is simply a large sharp needle for heavy woven fabrics. Needle size is to some extent a discretionary choice. Some folks get OCD about matching thread size to needle size. I am not one of those. I usually use a large needle for everything because I can't see well enough to easily thread a smaller one.

Xtrm tj
01-27-2015, 22:22
There are essentially three types of needles you are likely to find in most stores. They are designated by point style. "Sharp" points are used for woven fabrics. You can use a sharp on any woven fabric I am aware of. "Ball point" are used for knits and specialty stretch fabrics. Some non-woven materials are also candidates for ball point needles. "Universal" points are an attempt to merge sharps and ball points giving you the worst of both and best of neither. They are fine for all around use but they don't do as nice a job as the proper point does. Specialty needles such as a leather needle should not be used on anything other than leather and heavy non-wovens like tyvek for example. The so-called denim needle is simply a large sharp needle for heavy woven fabrics. Needle size is to some extent a discretionary choice. Some folks get OCD about matching thread size to needle size. I am not one of those. I usually use a large needle for everything because I can't see well enough to easily thread a smaller one.

Thanks Rev....I was just watching some of your videos. So which have or would ups use on the HyperD.....Sharp?

boulderv7
01-27-2015, 22:36
Definitely sharps, I used a 70/10 or 80/12 on my last UQ project with HyperD 1.0.

Ramblinrev
01-27-2015, 22:43
Thanks Rev....I was just watching some of your videos. So which have or would ups use on the HyperD.....Sharp?

I am not familiar with Hyper D but from what I have heard and read it is a woven fabric. Thus.. sharp would be my first suggestion.

Mouseskowitz
01-28-2015, 03:43
I haven't done anything with hyper d yet, just poly d and other ripstops. I've never had a problem with the sharp tips, also called microtex by some companies.

x PREACHER x
01-28-2015, 03:51
I was wondering the same thing.
My grandma (who probably invented sewing or something) told me I needed a ballpoint needle after seeing how stretchy the sil-nylon was that I was sewing.
I've only used sharp though, and it seems to be fine...

Xtrm tj
01-28-2015, 06:00
Definitely sharps, I used a 70/10 or 80/12 on my last UQ project with HyperD 1.0.

Boulder...I've seen some of your work on here. So I will use your suggestions as a guide.....thanks a lot!!

boulderv7
01-28-2015, 08:15
Boulder...I've seen some of your work on here. So I will use your suggestions as a guide.....thanks a lot!!
I appreciate that! I am still just a rookie compared with some of the people here....like Rev for instance. There is a lot of knowledge and experience here...I am always still learning! :)

gmcttr
01-28-2015, 09:50
My grandma (who probably invented sewing or something) told me I needed a ballpoint needle after seeing how stretchy the sil-nylon was that I was sewing.

Your grandma is wrong on this one (everyone has the right to be wrong once a year). Use a sharp point needle with all of the materials we use for hammocks, quilts and tarps.

x PREACHER x
01-28-2015, 09:55
Awesome!
Sharp is what I had, so I planned on using it until I ran into problems.
Thanks. :)

Ramblinrev
01-28-2015, 10:03

Ball point needles are useful of for things like elastic banding. So the stretch factor might make sense to her. Especially since I suspect your grandma has never used silnyl. With elastic it is very important not to pierce the individual elastic threads. If you do they will break under the stress of stretch. Silnyl is a whole different beast. It is a true woven fabric. If you use a ball point onit it will punch the fabric down into the throat plate and that can cause all sorts of problems. A sharp is preferred even over a universal because it will pierce the silnyl cleanly and smoothly avoiding that problem. Just make sure to keep the sharp sharp sharp. Nylon is very hard on sharp points. So change the needles more often than you think you might need to.

NickR
01-28-2015, 10:11
And as always, take some scrap fabric before you start sewing your top quilt and do some practice stitches. That will also give you a chance to adjust your thread tension if need be.

OutCold
01-28-2015, 10:36
Plus one for sharps on everything!

bartlax4
01-28-2015, 10:56
I would recommend 70ish and sharp as well, with the caveat that I have not had the pleasure to work with the HyperD yet. 70 is my go to though for these type fabrics. +100 for sewing some test fabric. Happy gear making!

FLRider
01-28-2015, 12:22
Sharps, like everyone is saying.

I've found that lighter fabrics (ARGON, 1.1, 1.0, even 30d sil) do better with the smallest sharp needle that will still fit my thread. If, however, you are going to be using binding on the edges (grosgrain, bias tape, edge tape, etc.), a larger needle won't hurt you at all. And it's not much of an hassle with a slightly larger needle than you need, anyway.

For Gutermann Mara 70 (what I use on all of my stuff, available through DIY Gear Supply among others), I've found that a Schmetz Microtex 70/10 (available at WallyWorld and JoAnne Fabrics among others) works just fine. The 60/8 is just a little too small: I occasionally get stripping of the thread strands as it feeds through those, which is a pain to deal with. Anything larger than 70/10, of course, works fine with that thread as well.

Hope it helps!

gmcttr
01-28-2015, 13:13
FWIW, Gutermann's recommended needle size for Mara 70 is "NM 90-100/14-16" although Mara 70 is a stronger (and larger diameter) thread than is needed for a quilt made out of 1.0 oz/sy fabric.

FLRider
01-28-2015, 13:31
FWIW, Gutermann's recommended needle size for Mara 70 is "NM 90-100/14-16" although Mara 70 is a stronger (and larger diameter) thread than is needed for a quilt made out of 1.0 oz/sy fabric.

Fair enough. My experience differs from their recommendation, but that's not the end of the world. As always, YMMV.

TPole
01-28-2015, 18:11
I am in the process of making an under quilt with HyperD 1.0 right now and have had good luck with a Schmetz Microtex Sharp 60/8 with the Gutermann Mara 70. I was testing on scraps with a 70/10 and 80/12 and figured what the heck, may as well try the 60/8. With my machine / needle / thread / fabric combination it significantly reduced the puckering of the fabric and made a straighter stitch than the larger sizes. I have not had issues with the stripping issues that FLRider speaks of during the project, but it did happen on some scraps. I took the gamble and so far it has been worthwhile. I will say that I change needles pretty often as well because you notice the wear on these much more quickly than with the larger sizes. Good Luck!

MomMeck
02-03-2015, 17:22
We use Schmetz Microtex Sharp Needle - Size 80/12 for ripstop fabric 1.0 to 1.9 in making our hammocks. I have found that they sew through several layers of fabric with ease and stay sharp longer. A dull needle makes a larger hole. Also, if you listen very carefully you can hear a punching sound that a sharp needle will not make.

Lighter weight fabric we use Schmetz Microtex Sharp Needle - Size 70/10

Xtrm tj
02-04-2015, 11:32
Hey another sewing question in regards to this. Do y'all use the same thread in the bobbin? My mother in-law said that could cause a problem also. She said there is bobbin thread out there.

What do y'all do about that?

gmcttr
02-04-2015, 11:45
Always the same thread in the bobbin as used top side. Never causes a problem.

FLRider
02-04-2015, 12:28
Hey another sewing question in regards to this. Do y'all use the same thread in the bobbin? My mother in-law said that could cause a problem also. She said there is bobbin thread out there.

What do y'all do about that?

Same thread here. As far as I know, the only reason to use a different thread in the bobbin, at least for gear making, is for color accents. And, even then, I'd probably still use the same type of thread...just in a different color.

Hope it helps!

howlinmadman
02-04-2015, 12:37
I'm starting my first diy project of a hammock seat with the 1.6 hyper d, and this thread has been helpful...speaking of thread...see how I did that!! Anyway, what type of thread should I use for this? I got some upholstery thread which the lady at wallyworld recommended, will this do or should I use something else?

MomMeck
02-04-2015, 12:49
I am not sure how heavy the upholstery thread is. But if it is to heavy there may be pulling and puckering of the fabric. Try a sample run on scrap material before starting the project.

We use Gutermann thread. You can purchase Gutermann form DIY gear supply or Dutchware.

Ramblinrev
02-04-2015, 12:53
I don't buy thread from wally world. Even though I am blessed with a couple knowledgeable clerks there, most of the clerks are doing well if they can find a spool of blue thread. Let alone recommend something. IMO normal home sewing thread is more than adequate for anything I do. But it from a place that knows about thread. Thread has a shelf life. Improper storage can degrade it relatively quickly.