PDA

View Full Version : Skins for Spinn UL

Counselor
09-05-2009, 22:18
Brian,

Any chance you could put together a snake skin type product for my spinn ul ?

Chris

koaloha05
09-08-2009, 19:56
The no-seeum that Thru-hiker sells at 0.7oz/yd would be one of the lighter reasonably priced materials.

Counselor skins are relatively easy to sew. I'm a Klutz of a "sewer" and have been able to sew skins. Check out the sticky on mosquito net skins for guidelines.

Mustardman
09-08-2009, 20:04
Most hammock gear makers shy away from sewing snakeskins for people, because Tom throws a hissy fit if you do. The Jacks had a version they called python skins at one point, but you'll notice they don't sell them anymore...

ikemouser
09-09-2009, 13:26
WHy do they throw a hissy fit?

Cannibal
09-09-2009, 13:29
WHy do they throw a hissy fit?
Insecurity for one.
Legal right is another.

Hooch
09-09-2009, 13:31
WHy do they throw a hissy fit?Tom Hennessy likes to throw his patents in everyone's face. He's kinda childish about that kind of thing.

He could be a decent guy like Ed and the Jacks, etc and share what he knows and try to help further the cause of the hammocking community, but is apparently entirely too comfortable up on his high horse. :rolleyes:

Ramblinrev
09-09-2009, 14:28
Editorial comments aside. "Sanke Skins" are a patented product of HH. I refer to them as Reptilian Derma Layers. There is an episode of the We Don't Sew... We Make Gear vid series that goes through the process of sewing them but does not tell you how to lay out the dimensions. It ain't hard at all. In fact the reptilian derma layers are one of the suggested first time DIY projects. Right after stuff sacks.

To get the measurements, wad up the hammock or tarp the way you want it to be stored and lay out the length you want with those circumference measurements at each end, Since it is likely to be a tapered pattern you can invert the second piece and get two out of one retangular width of fabric. It's easy enough to figure out once you get all the figures.

UncleMJM
09-09-2009, 14:43
Come on Counselor, get on the DIY bandwagon. All the cool kids are doing it.

Coffee
09-09-2009, 14:55
I can feel the love in here today.

UncleMJM
09-09-2009, 14:59
The love is definitely there from me. I love to rag on Counselor.

Counselor
09-09-2009, 15:38
Uncle - do you have a sewing machine?

I don't - and i don't know if it is worth the investment . . . i have lots of cool ideas, but no knowledge on how to do them - seems easier to just beg, borrow, or steal!

UncleMJM
09-09-2009, 21:43
Uncle - do you have a sewing machine?

I don't - and i don't know if it is worth the investment . . . i have lots of cool ideas, but no knowledge on how to do them - seems easier to just beg, borrow, or steal!

I think I prefer the term I learned on here "thread injector" and no, I don't have one, but my wife, daughter, and mom do - it's just a matter of getting them set up finding some free time and getting rolling.

ikemouser
09-10-2009, 15:21
Its definately worth the investment, i already made huggers for my whoppie slings, 6 foot huggers that is, snake skins, soon to be down quilts when my wife finds the time-i defer to her expertise, and much more. how can you go wrong with the investment, get one at a yard sale or off ebay.

Take-a-knee
09-10-2009, 16:27
Its definately worth the investment, i already made huggers for my whoppie slings, 6 foot huggers that is, snake skins, soon to be down quilts when my wife finds the time-i defer to her expertise, and much more. how can you go wrong with the investment, get one at a yard sale or off ebay.

I'd suggest shopping for a machine at your local sewing machine repair guy. Take some silnylon or DWR scraps with you and he'll adjust it for you.