PDA

View Full Version : Is hammock camping possible at these Glacier National sites?

willsfamily4
02-03-2015, 09:50
Trying to plan a backcountry trip to Glacier National Park - is hammock camping available at any of these spots? thanks for the help.

Many Glacier, Elizabeth Lake Cosley Lake, Stoney Indian Lake, Fifty Mountain, Granite Park, Bowman Lake, Hole in the Wall, Kootenai Lake

thanks for the help

rex8499
09-01-2015, 17:43
Hey, did you end up hammocking at Hole in the Wall? Soon embarking on a hike there myself, and planning on taking hammocks. Slightly concerned that the trees are small and sparse enough to be a challenge near my designated tent area.

Phiche
09-01-2015, 19:13
I have never had a problem in the park campgrounds as long as I used my straps !
Private campgrounds may be sparse on trees !
With the fires out west , there may be a shortage of forest and camping spots !

SnrMoment
09-03-2015, 08:02
Link to keep up to date on fires: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/state/27/

You probably cannot use any stove but a butane/propane type - no alcohol or wood stoves.

joanwest
09-10-2015, 10:07
Hey, did you end up hammocking at Hole in the Wall? Soon embarking on a hike there myself, and planning on taking hammocks. Slightly concerned that the trees are small and sparse enough to be a challenge near my designated tent area.

I went to Hole in the Wall last week, and three out of the five or so designated campsites were suitable for hanging, especially if you need just one hang site. Trees were bigger than I'd expected. The area has sensitive vegetation, so be sure to avoid hanging over vegetation and stick to the established campsites.

There were grizzlies that visited the campsite, so be bear aware, carry bear spray, hang your food, etc.

It's a beautiful spot! Enjoy your trip!

rex8499
09-25-2015, 16:31
Reporting back now that I went. I found the same thing as Joanwest.
Here's my trip report and photos:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/115746-Trip-Report-Glacier-National-Park-Hole-in-the-Wall