PDA

View Full Version : Official Silpoly 2.0 Details

ripstopbytheroll
02-04-2015, 20:39
As promised, I wanted to give everyone details on the second generation silpoly or "Silpoly 2.0" as it's been dubbed. The main thing that sets the Silpoly 2.0 fabric apart from anything we've done or anything else I've seen is that it uses a "hybrid denier" construction. What this means is that the base fabric is 20D just like our silnylon, while the ripstop grid is actually a thicker 50D yarn similar to what's used in our 1.6 HyperD. Higher "D" numbers just mean that the yarn is thicker and weighs more. Typical ripstop nylon or poly uses the same yarn for both the base fabric and the ripstop grid. The long and short is that you get a much tougher, abrasion resistant fabric with even less stretch for a minimal weight increase.

Aside from the unique hybrid denier construction, I have improved the waterproofness and fixed the seam sealing problems. The issues with seam sealing first gen silpoly certainly served as a lesson learned - TEST YOUR STUFF. For Silpoly 2.0, I've personally tested the fabric with Silnet and it works perfectly. In parallel, Brian from OES tarps was kind enough to run his own test using GE 100% silicone and obtained the same results. The coating is the same Sil/PU mix on both sides, so no issues with finding the illusive pure sil side anymore.

Detailed specs

Fabric - 20Dx50D polyester
Ripstop grid - double-grid 50 denier yarn
Coating - Sil/PU coating both sides
Finished weight - 1.27 oz/sq yd
Hydrostatic Head - ~1500 mm
Colors - Charcoal Gray, Khaki, Olive Drab, Coyote Brown, Foliage Green, Black, Olive Brown, and Blaze Orange

I'm excited to bring this to market because I think it's something new for the HF and larger outdoor community. Once you have this fabric in your hands, under your foot, and pitched in the field, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I also wanted to thank Brian at OES for being a sounding board and collaborator during the development of this fabric. Turns out we both have engineering backgrounds and REALLY like talking fabric. What a match.

I'm aiming to have Silpoly 2.0 up on the site and available for pre-order @ $6.95 /yd by this Friday, 2/6/15. I expect the fabric in house late next week and we will ship all pre-orders immediately once it comes in. Thanks!!!

WaffleBox
02-04-2015, 20:46
Sounds great! What's the color selection?

ripstopbytheroll
02-04-2015, 20:52
Sounds great! What's the color selection?

Updated the original post. For now, it's an earthtone fest aside from Blaze Orange. I've got your Olive yellow on my list though :).

MDSH
02-04-2015, 22:45
Sounds like a fantastic line of offerings, Kyle.

Hikermdc
02-05-2015, 08:43
Fantastic!

heycorb
02-05-2015, 13:29
Sounds good. Ready to try it. Any possibility of some camo silpoly one day?

vladpack
02-05-2015, 18:54
Can't wait! What's going to happen to Gen 1 silpoly?

ripstopbytheroll
02-05-2015, 20:28
Sounds good. Ready to try it. Any possibility of some camo silpoly one day?

Yep we'll try to work that in over time. We do have a lot of things going on right now though, so it will probably be a bit.

ripstopbytheroll
02-05-2015, 20:30
Can't wait! What's going to happen to Gen 1 silpoly?

It will still be around until it's exhausted, but we won't be stocking both Gen 1 and Gen 2.

KenDen
02-05-2015, 21:40
I have improved the waterproofness and fixed the seam sealing problems

What is the seam sealing problem?????

Boston
02-05-2015, 22:04

*cough* (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/104446-Seam-sealing-RBTR-silpoly)

ripstopbytheroll
02-05-2015, 22:45

Essentially people were experiencing mixed results with different 100% silicone based sealants.

ripstopbytheroll
02-06-2015, 11:59
Silpoly 2nd Gen is now up and available for PRE-ORDER. I'm aiming to start shipping next Friday 2/13.

-> http://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/silpoly

ripstopbytheroll
02-06-2015, 15:38
I do have about a yd of the 2.0 that I'm willing to cut up and send out as samples. First come first serve. Just shoot me your address: http://ripstopbytheroll.com/pages/contact-us

THANKS. TGIF.

vladpack
02-06-2015, 16:17
Ordered! Can't wait to sew a tarp out of it

MDSH
02-06-2015, 18:17
I expect the first edition to give me a good tarp.

Just haven't got to it yet.

Silpoly should replace silnylon and would be a cheaper alternative to CF.

I hope our cottage vendors will start making silpoly tarps.

daneaustin3
02-15-2015, 13:18
Any updates on the ETA of this stuff? I'm itching to make a couple of tarps!!

ripstopbytheroll
02-15-2015, 13:58
Any updates on the ETA of this stuff? I'm itching to make a couple of tarps!!

Scheduled in tomorrow. Hopefully the weather holds out long enough. Things get a little crazy down here when a few flakes start flying.

ripstopbytheroll
02-16-2015, 17:28
Silpoly 2nd gen is now in stock and shipping. Just a heads up that we do have a snow "storm" moving in that could cause some delays getting things out. Down here a couple inches shuts it down.

Early personal favorites are OD and Khaki. I suspect there will be some pretty awesome tarps made out of this material and I want to see them all! I plan on making one myself. The new machine can't get here fast enough.

103245 103246

-> http://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/silpoly

ADKGuy
02-16-2015, 21:53
I hope the cottage vendors pick up on this. I'd be interested in a superfly like tarp

Mouseskowitz
02-17-2015, 00:24
That stuff looks really sharp! Too bad I just made two new traps this past fall. I guess I'll have to come up with another design too try out. What's the useable width on this stuff?

vladpack
02-21-2015, 15:48
Just got my order of dark grey silpoly 2 - this stuff looks amazing - I would say the picture on the website didn't do this fabric justice. It's a very classy dark grey with the visible gridstop. Hopefully I'll have time in the coming weeks to put together the tarp I bought it for - I'll be sure to post pictures

daneaustin3
02-21-2015, 18:34
I hate the post office right now. Some reason they can't get stuff from NC to TN in under a week. My order should have been delivered yesterday and won be here until Monday and I'm out of town until Wednesday! Can't wait to get this box of goodies. Two tarps out of sil 2.0, 2 under quilts and a top quilt to be made.... I will have two complete set ups courtesy of the fine folks at rsbtr!

ripstopbytheroll
02-22-2015, 13:39
Just got my order of dark grey silpoly 2 - this stuff looks amazing - I would say the picture on the website didn't do this fabric justice. It's a very classy dark grey with the visible gridstop. Hopefully I'll have time in the coming weeks to put together the tarp I bought it for - I'll be sure to post pictures

Glad you like it. I think your tarp will be quite the looker.

ripstopbytheroll
02-22-2015, 13:42
I hate the post office right now. Some reason they can't get stuff from NC to TN in under a week. My order should have been delivered yesterday and won be here until Monday and I'm out of town until Wednesday! Can't wait to get this box of goodies. Two tarps out of sil 2.0, 2 under quilts and a top quilt to be made.... I will have two complete set ups courtesy of the fine folks at rsbtr!

Sorry for the delay Dane. Things have been hosed up all week - both inbound supply and orders going out. Barring any more weather, we should be back on track this week. Look forward to seeing the gear you create.

ripstopbytheroll
02-22-2015, 13:43
That stuff looks really sharp! Too bad I just made two new traps this past fall. I guess I'll have to come up with another design too try out. What's the useable width on this stuff?

About 59"

daneaustin3
02-22-2015, 14:45
Sorry for the delay Dane. Things have been hosed up all week - both inbound supply and orders going out. Barring any more weather, we should be back on track this week. Look forward to seeing the gear you create.
It isn't your fault at all. the post office showed a delivery date of Thursday I believe and won't make the delivery until Monday. I had the same issue the last time I ordered to. You guys get my orders out fast, but the post office drags their feet.

Flynguy521
02-22-2015, 22:38
Any guesstimate when the silpoly olive yellow 2.0 be in?

hotelzulu
03-03-2015, 11:41
Does this material have a front and back side? Or is it the same on both sides? I see in the description that it is coated on both. I guess the real question is: when making a tarp, should there be a specific side that is on top?

ripstopbytheroll
03-03-2015, 20:39
Any guesstimate when the silpoly olive yellow 2.0 be in?

Probably about a month.

ripstopbytheroll
03-03-2015, 20:41
Does this material have a front and back side? Or is it the same on both sides? I see in the description that it is coated on both. I guess the real question is: when making a tarp, should there be a specific side that is on top?

Coating wise it's the exact same on both sides. If you look REALLY close, you may find that one side looks a bit shinier than the other, but whether you put that out or in doesn't matter.

vladpack
03-04-2015, 11:30
Hey Kyle,

In another thread you mentioned putting dull side out with silpoly2 - have you found that it doesn't really matter?

ripstopbytheroll
03-04-2015, 13:11
Hey Kyle,

In another thread you mentioned putting dull side out with silpoly2 - have you found that it doesn't really matter?

In terms of performance it doesn't matter. If you can tell a difference between the sides visually, then you may want to put one side out because you think it looks better, but other than that it doesn't matter.

North
04-26-2015, 20:03
So both sides have 90% silicone and 10% PU (4 layers with only 0.17oz/sq yd total)? Is it a layer of silicone then a layer of PU on top? Does the silicone coating prevent the PU from pealing? If the PU peals, I suppose the silicone won't peal and there will be enough to keep enough waterproofness for a tarp? Is there enough silicone to increase the tear strength of the 1.1oz 20x50D? Basically adding the 10% PU is mostly for environmental considerations (vs 100% silicone)?

I'm wondering if I should double layer (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/109197-Polyester-Tarp-(HyperD-300-vs-70D-PU-coated-vs-2-layers-Silpoly-1-1oz)) that 1.1 silpoly to increase durability. And maybe add a grossgrain/webbing ridge?