PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on hammock weight

whmoller
02-08-2015, 18:22
Hello all,

I own three hammocks: a WB RR, a Clark NX 250, and a HH Explorer UL. I recently purchased a WB BB XLC, and it arrives tomorrow. I primarily backpack, and have at one time or another used one in lieu of the other two. I am at the point now, after having fiddled with all three this weekend, that I can say I like the RR best. However, I keep reading on this forum about the weight issue. I use hiking poles with the RR so for me there is no penalty associated with the spreader bars. I use a pad on those instances when I ground camp, so again there is no weight penalty for me. I have weighed all 3 in the configuration I use for backpacking all they are within a few ounces of each other. I backpack primarily in the Rockies so I am always carrying insulation of one form or the other. My RR with a Neo Air Xlite is 57 ounces; the HH with a JRB Nest UQ is 63 ounces and the Clark NX 250 is the heaviest at 72 ounces. The aforementioned weights include the tarp for each.

As I am 6'2" and 210 pounds I do not see myself using smaller hammocks, but I am always on the lookout for a way to carry less. I looked at Dream Hammocks and the calculations were similar. I have cut pack weight in a number of areas, but I am not seeing a substantial weight savings in terms of hammock weights, etc. I can always use just a tarp and sleep on the ground, but who wants to do that? Even the BB XLC comes in at about the same as the HH. Am I missing something?

kayak karl
02-08-2015, 18:30
im 6-3 and hike often. i have to be careful giving up comfort for a few ounce savings. i don't compare my pack weight to others and would never even consider somebody 8" shorter then me. everything i carry and wear is a few grams heavier then a smaller size, but my stride makes up for it in the long run :)

whmoller
02-08-2015, 19:00
Kayak Karl,

I tend to agree; I always laugh when I see weights for things like shoes and then see that the size is a men's nine. I have not worn a size 9 since middle school. I suppose that maybe I am looking for a magical solution in which the hammock will weigh next to nothing, sleep like a cloud and fit me well. Still open to suggestions, though.

Nodust
02-08-2015, 19:00
I carry the least weight I can while being safe and comfortable. It more than some, less than others. If I'm carrying a hammock for comfort, I'm going to carry the best one for me.

njsurfer
02-08-2015, 19:20
In the same situation and I'm planning on ordering a dutch 11' NylonD 1.0 DL with whoopies tonight. With suspension dutch is claiming just over 1 pound, so even when I add a bug net in the summer it will still come in under 1.5 pounds. Aiming for a sub 10lb base weight this summer.

russbus
02-08-2015, 19:41
It's tough to find the perfect camping setup for comfort both on and off the trail but I have found that a nice and thick sleeping pad is worth the extra weight if it means a cozy night sleep

whmoller
02-08-2015, 19:51
NJSurfer,

I went to the website for the hammock you referenced. The weight is for the hammock alone (unless I am mistaken), and does not include netting or a tarp or insulation. You did mention adding a net, but when you add insulation the total weight will still be close to the 3 pound mark (assuming a 16 ounce mat). I know there are slightly lighter options, but for me they do not keep me warm enough. Looks like a nice hammock though; hope it works for you. And I fully understand that comfort is subjective. As for the base weight mine is slightly heavier, primarily because I use a slightly heavier pack. I have used ultralight packs, but I prefer a better suspension.

I am irritated about the new Atmos 65 AG; the old Atmos 65 did not quite fit me right because of the placement of the load lifters, and this appeared to have changed with the new version, but Osprey upped the weight by over a pound.

dakotaross
02-08-2015, 19:58
My RR with a Neo Air Xlite is 57 ounces; the HH with a JRB Nest UQ is 63 ounces and the Clark NX 250 is the heaviest at 72 ounces. The aforementioned weights include the tarp for each.

Same tarp right?

...I am not seeing a substantial weight savings in terms of hammock weights, etc. I can always use just a tarp and sleep on the ground, but who wants to do that? Even the BB XLC comes in at about the same as the HH. Am I missing something?

Maybe you should be missing something... a net.

whmoller
02-08-2015, 20:04
I am not sure I understood the last post, but if I understand it to mean that I should remove the netting the net gain is not much.

njsurfer
02-08-2015, 20:36
whmoller,

with 40 degree quilts I should be around 2.8 lbs, add another 6-7 ounces for the tarp. Realistically, I dont see how you could get lighter than that. If you are solely going for the lightest shelter possible I dont think a hammock has ever been the answer. Sleeping on the ground with a tarp is probably the lightest, but thats pretty primitive.

Jumper0155
02-08-2015, 21:08
whmoller,

with 40 degree quilts I should be around 2.8 lbs, add another 6-7 ounces for the tarp. Realistically, I dont see how you could get lighter than that. If you are solely going for the lightest shelter possible I dont think a hammock has ever been the answer. Sleeping on the ground with a tarp is probably the lightest, but thats pretty primitive.

Add 6 or 7 ounces for the tarp, only if you're packing a cuben fiber tarp. Otherwise double or triple that estimate.

njsurfer
02-08-2015, 21:15
Yup, cuben. My backpacking gear money...I mean tax return is coming in soon.

dakotaross
02-08-2015, 22:35
I just looked up a few weights on the WB, Hennessy, JRB and Clark site, and it sure looks like you're using each mfr's tarp in that comparison. You need to break that out, then go search for cuben tarp. You've got 4 (as of tomorrow) $250+ hammock setups, and no cuben. Man, is your world going to get rocked!

whmoller
02-08-2015, 22:44
Thanks for reminding me of the cost of all of this...I have to be candid that I am leery of CF. Like everything else its very expensive.

SilvrSurfr
02-09-2015, 00:10
Dutch PolyD 1.4 hammock + Whoopie Hook suspension - 13.6 oz.
BIAS NanoBuginator bugnet - 7 oz.
HG 20* Phoenix - 16 oz.
HG Winter Palace - 8.5 oz.

Total weight - 45.1 oz.

That's 21% less than your lightest setup. I could drop it more by going with a 40* UQ (I have one) or an HG Standard CF tarp, but this is the weight I'm comfortable with. And I can dump the bugnet 9 months out of the year, which would be 34% lighter.

ktitan
02-09-2015, 08:52
bonefire hammock 32 oz
hg cuben tarp with doors 7 oz
suspension 6 oz

total 44 oz.

Easily under 3 lbs

MattBigmonster
02-09-2015, 16:16
I think everybody goes through the same process. We push the weight down until we realize we have sacrificed too much comfort and money so we back up a notch to arrive in our sweet spot.

TallPaul
02-09-2015, 19:06
When it comes to my sleep and shelter, I'll happily take a bit of weight penalty to sleep good and stay dry.
Go look at the other 37 items in your pack to drop weight.
Heck, just weigh the crap we all throw in the pack at the trail head or the extra food we carry out on weekend trips and you could save a few pounds.

m_huber
02-12-2015, 09:54
You have to hike your own hike, and part of that means accommodating your body type. I'm a small guy, so I can carry weights that are ridiculously small. The GT Nano 7 is ideal for me, but I understand that it is not comfortable for taller hikers (it also has a weight limit that can be a problem for some). With the tarp, if you have a larger hammock, you will need a larger tarp. And you will have to decide seasonally if you want doors, which also add weight. Then, you have to think about insulation -- hiking in warm weather should always be lighter than in cold weather (although there is some tradeoff for the addition of the bugnet in summer). And a pad is usually lighter than an underquilt, but not nearly as comfortable.

So, in my opinion, you should find what system you prefer, and then find the right ways to optimize it. You are giving the weight of your RR as 57 oz., but on the website, it is listed as 24 oz. If you have a tarp that is 30 oz., then that is an obvious place to lose weight. Even a silnylon tarp could be less than half of that. If you aren't using whoopie slings, you probably want to change your suspension to save a few oz.

Anyway, I use an ultralight system, with a lightweight hammock and Cuben tarp (with doors). I weigh a lot less than you, but I am carrying hammock+tarp (and suspension for both) as 1.1% of my body weight. You are carrying it as 1.7% of your body weight (using the 57 oz. weight).

doctor patches
02-12-2015, 10:36
I explained to a coworker of mine about the evolution of my hammock setup, it's much like carving a statue from a block of marble. I started with the most materials i could need and started shaving, chiseling and grinding material away to leave what i had imagined in my mind. My goal isn't always about getting the absolute lightest option, but i mainly want a light shelter that allows me maximum comfort and ease of use while out backpacking. Quick setup, efficient setup and adjustments, quick takedown and compact to not take up a lot of room in my pack, all without breaking the bank!

I started with an ENO DN, AHE Toxaway tarp and AHE synthetic quilts. It was comfortable, warm and got me out and started, but it was heavier than i'd like and very bulky in my pack. I've upgraded to a GT Nano7 hammock with dutch speed hook suspension, a MLD asym tarp with a dream hammock bug sock and EE down quilts. Link to my hammock setup gear list (http://lighterpack.com/r/ak8gn8), in case you want to check the weights of everything. I tried to be as detailed as i can, in case someone else wanted to use this as a research starting point to go try and compare or duplicate (which is how i got started myself)

Good luck, OP. Let us know what you end up with, everyone can learn from each other, that's why we're all here in the first place, right?

doctor patches
02-12-2015, 10:39
The GT Nano 7 is ideal for me, but I understand that it is not comfortable for taller hikers (it also has a weight limit that can be a problem for some).

TWINS!

Bad Biscuit
02-12-2015, 10:57
While I am also still in the never ending process of making my pack lighter, it comes down to what makes YOU happy. While some people are content with sub 10 pound packs, that's not the type of backpacking or camping in which I want to engage.

If you are content with your hammock (both with weight and comfort), then you can try reducing weight in other areas such as clothes, cooking kit, reducing the items you bring, etc. Once I made these decisions, I was very content with a sub 15 pound base weight (minus food and water) for 3 season hiking/camping and that includes a WBBB, Superfly, and 20 degree quilts.

There are always great suggestions from others when you ask, but you must determine what is right for you. I believe that a base pack weight of under 20 pounds is easily attainable without having to go to extremes. For me, the key to reducing pack weight is weighing EVERYTHING and listing on a spreadsheet.

ounces make pounds....

cjayflo
02-12-2015, 11:19
While I am also still in the never ending process of making my pack lighter, it comes down to what makes YOU happy. While some people are content with sub 10 pound packs, that's not the type of backpacking or camping in which I want to engage.

If you are content with your hammock (both with weight and comfort), then you can try reducing weight in other areas such as clothes, cooking kit, reducing the items you bring, etc. Once I made these decisions, I was very content with a sub 15 pound base weight (minus food and water) for 3 season hiking/camping and that includes a WBBB, Superfly, and 20 degree quilts.

There are always great suggestions from others when you ask, but you must determine what is right for you. I believe that a base pack weight of under 20 pounds is easily attainable without having to go to extremes. For me, the key to reducing pack weight is weighing EVERYTHING and listing on a spreadsheet.

ounces make pounds....

+1

I shaved some weight and space by making the small things I carry, like balm, smaller.

StickInAngus
02-18-2015, 14:09

ounces make pounds....

A better option to a spreadsheet - lighterpack.com (http://lighterpack.com/), this site has saved me lots of weight comparing gear, especially showing me weights of gear that I rarely used.

jjr
02-25-2015, 06:02
Hi I thought I would chime in. One way to shave off a few ounces is to make a bugnet made of tulle. I made a simple tube style with drawcord on one end and it tapers on the other. Weighs barely over 3 oz. Sure it is a bit fragile but I was actually surprised how hard I could pull on it without damaging it. For all intents and purposes it is plenty durable enough, and for 4 months on the A.T. it held up outstandingly. A total winner in my book, I would never use a heavier material for a hammock bug sock to carry backpacking.

Cheers

sloth69mustang
02-25-2015, 07:02
Quote Originally Posted by m_huber View Post
The GT Nano 7 is ideal for me, but I understand that it is not comfortable for taller hikers (it also has a weight limit that can be a problem for some).
TWINS!

same here too. i am 5'10" and 175lbs. is that considered small? i thought that was average?
GT nano 7, HG winter palace, msr mini ground hog stakes, dream hammock bugsock, 6ft tree straps, whoope slings and toggles, 3'x5' tyvek ground sheet. all that comes out to 31oz. then HG pillow, HG 40* UQ and TQ comes out to 35oz. and the ground sheet and pillow is "extra" weight but makes me more comfy. even if i dropped those 2 items i would only be saving 6.5oz. but my complete everything hammock setup down to 32* temps is only 66oz or 60oz.

WV
02-25-2015, 08:41
I agree with most of the thoughts expressed so far. I strive to reduce pack weight, but not at the sacrifice of comfort, either in camp or on the trail. I definitely agree that a cuben tarp is worth the expense. On the trail, two things have "lightened my load": using trekking poles and using an Aarn pack. I know, the pack weighs more than 3 lb., but it carries like it weighs minus 5 lb. That's a saving of 8 lb. right there. What matters is how you feel at the end of the day.
:laugh:
One thing I need to look at is hardware. Often I carry a camera (6 oz.), a really good altimeter (6.5 oz), and a gps (3.5 oz). For trips in my "back yard" (the Cranberry Wilderness) I could dispense with all three. (I always have a map and compass.) My first aid and gear repair kit is heavy, but it weighs less if I don't take spare batteries for the gps. Etc.

Then there's food - potential weight savings there must be balanced against having enough nourishment, ease of preparation, and taste. Again, what matters most to me is how I feel at the end of the day. YMMV. :)

Boston
02-26-2015, 04:20
Hi I thought I would chime in. One way to shave off a few ounces is to make a bugnet made of tulle. I made a simple tube style with drawcord on one end and it tapers on the other. Weighs barely over 3 oz. Sure it is a bit fragile but I was actually surprised how hard I could pull on it without damaging it. For all intents and purposes it is plenty durable enough, and for 4 months on the A.T. it held up outstandingly. A total winner in my book, I would never use a heavier material for a hammock bug sock to carry backpacking.

Cheers

I accidentally ripped my tulle net...twice. That's when I switched to no-see-um.

brohawk
02-26-2015, 06:19
going through same scenario. Im 6'2" 205lbs and just sold my Warbonnet XLC. Loved the hammock and great quality. Cons are the zipper and weight. The zipper starts a quarter the way down and makes it a chore to completely remove the bug net out of the way. Also forces you to sleep in one position and is on the heavier side. I used it for a year as a newbie until I dialed my set up in. I just purchased Dutch's Poly D 11' hammock and love it. Super light. Also went with Warbonnets travel net with 2qzq extenders on. I like the seperate bug net. Whole system is much lighter and feels more personal to me. I know you didnt mention tarp, but the weight savings of HG cuben fiber is amazing.

hookten
06-04-2015, 05:33
2 lbs for ham, bug net (not no see-um too heavy) suspension, ridge line, tarp should come in at about 2 lbs IMHO