PDA

View Full Version : Hammock and Tarp Modifications

rpater
02-08-2015, 22:56
I'm wondering what modifications you have made, or what special changes you have had made to your tarp and hammock that have improved your hanging experience?

Boomer
02-09-2015, 00:11
I added little loops along the edge of my Hammock, so that I can better attach the UQ. Now you can go buy UQ hooks & just sew them on.

Changed out all the various gathered end attachment lines and just use a Whoopie sling on the ends

Wanderlost
02-09-2015, 07:20
The best thing I did for my tarp was the outside pole mod. It made it from a simple tarp to a 1 bedroom apartment. There were other little things here and there..most of them titanium and of course made in the USA..but the pole mod was the single best thing that improved my in-the-hammock experience. The others were more ease of set up.

latriper
02-11-2015, 02:39
The "knotty Mod" on my hammock. I am a card carrying member of "I Hate The Floppy Sides Club". :lol:A Knotty Mod tightens the sides but leaves them stretchy and also creates a type of foot box to help keep your top insulation from sliding up and over the edge. Pretty simple mod too.

pnyberg
02-11-2015, 15:49
I added lineloc's (http://dutchwaregear.com/linelocs-3.html) to my tarp.

At about 9:35 in the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjYOm0z64jA

--Peter

cataraftgirl
02-11-2015, 19:32
Tarp - Pawn bags to manage the side ties out lines. Mini Line Locs for adjusting the side tie out lines. Dutchware tarp Flyz for the ridge line tie outs.

Hammock - Webbing and cinch buckle suspension. I just finished a "knotty mod" to lessen the floppy fabric on my very wide hammock.

outdoorames
02-17-2015, 19:32
I'm new to hammocking, but I've done the "knotty mod"...it's been great! I added one at the head and one at the foot. It's taken care of the floppy sides and aided in keeping both my quilt and pillow inside of the hammock.

gunner76
02-17-2015, 20:27
For my zipper bug net hammocks I added zipper pulls inside and out with bright orange or green cord to make it easier to find the zippers. For my hammocks that have a structural ridge line, I add 2 or 3 loops of Zing It prussiked around the ridge line. I hang my glasses and other small stuff thru the loop and push to the front of the hammock so it is out of my way but still easy to reach when needed.

RFlyer
02-17-2015, 22:35
Tarp Flyz! Nothing worse than a sudden downpour when the weather calls for ZERO chance of rain. Tarp Flyz make for an easy way to get your tarp up FAST and then adjust it from underneath it as needed without getting drenched.

dakotaross
02-17-2015, 22:48
I had cuben doors sewed on my tarp, and had a beer can holder sewed on my hammock! When hiking, its typically not holding a beer can, but is very handy for holding stuff near my head, like a watch with alarm.

sink hanger
02-18-2015, 23:42
so far the mini linelocs have been very helpful and fast when it comes to set up and strike( tear down) of the tarp and the whoopee slings have put the hammock in a hole other ball game for me. light and fast

cougarmeat
02-19-2015, 19:18
I put zipper pulls on both inside and outside (four per piece of gear - like a hammock sock). And they are the type with reflector cord and glow-in-the dark plastic. I attached small figure-9's to anything that needs a guy line. So the guy line loops around the stake but is adjusted at the tarp or pole - not down at the stake. I've made many sets of double bungee cord about 8 inches long I'll use for tensioners. I tried some knots and for me, it takes about five inches extra length to a butterfly knot (loop). So now I add an extra five inches for every loop I want along my ridge line - either for the hammock or tarp. Once made, I can adjust the size of the loop to add or subtract any small adjustment. I switched out all the suspension that comes with a hammock and replace it with a ring on dogbone or continuous loop to the hammock. Then I attache whatever suspension I want to the ring - line, webbing, whoopie sling. These days I use python straps. Next project will involve making poles for interior/exterior tarp pole mods.

h12plus
02-19-2015, 22:43
I'm still a newb but I just got a superfly and did the two pole mod. From what I can tell its definitely a game changer. I think it will make deployment in the rain much easier. I tested it in high winds and it seemed flawless. I also got hookworms for my guy lines with orange lawson, which is winning!

brohawk
02-26-2015, 14:26
After watching one of Shugs tarp videos...I ordered my Warbonnet Mamajamba from Brandon with 4 extra tie outs 24" in from all four corners. Works well if u need to turn them into doors in a pinch. Otherwise ur not carrying the weight of extra doors all the time. Figured Id give it a try, and actually like having them if needed.