PDA

View Full Version : What makes a GREAT downproof fabric?

ripstopbytheroll
02-10-2015, 20:44
If you're planning a DIY down gear project or in the market for a finished product from a vendor, you might find this helpful. I put together a little blog post about what makes a GREAT downproof fabric based on my experience. It should help answer some common questions that I get from customers and also shed some light on how we think at RBTR when creating/sourcing new fabrics. Enjoy!

-> http://ripstopbytheroll.com/blogs/news/16937625-your-first-down-project-choosing-a-fabric

Michael_qrt
02-11-2015, 02:05
That's a good summary of information Kyle and I'm glad you're doing the work on fabric development and testing. Just wondering if this is pre-empting any new products from you as you say in the blog that taffeta weave fabrics perform better in downproofness tests and I noticed that the 1.0 oz/sq.yd. downproof taffeta fabric is no longer listed on your site. Also wondering if you're thinking of putting out a product in the 10D category for those keen for more UL options. From my point of view it would be nice to have a 10D downproof fabric with a bit of a 'firmer' feel for quilt shells (to go along with a softer fabric for the liner).

Mouseskowitz
02-11-2015, 02:50
Nice read.

I don't remember seeing taffeta mentioned. Is that another name for the plain weave?

Also, I can't find the IDFL testing data on the 1.0 oz calendered HyperD.

ripstopbytheroll
02-11-2015, 09:57
That's a good summary of information Kyle and I'm glad you're doing the work on fabric development and testing. Just wondering if this is pre-empting any new products from you as you say in the blog that taffeta weave fabrics perform better in downproofness tests and I noticed that the 1.0 oz/sq.yd. downproof taffeta fabric is no longer listed on your site. Also wondering if you're thinking of putting out a product in the 10D category for those keen for more UL options. From my point of view it would be nice to have a 10D downproof fabric with a bit of a 'firmer' feel for quilt shells (to go along with a softer fabric for the liner).

The 1.0 taffeta is still on the site, just not in the dropdown right now. I had to make room for other things and haven't gone in to code a new row yet. Here it is: http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-0-oz-nylon-taffeta-black. You can also find it through a search on the site.

We do have some new and exciting things coming very soon.

ripstopbytheroll
02-11-2015, 09:59
Nice read.

I don't remember seeing taffeta mentioned. Is that another name for the plain weave?

Also, I can't find the IDFL testing data on the 1.0 oz calendered HyperD.

Taffeta is one type of plain weave fabric. I need to update the 1.0 HyperD pages with a pending status. We are in the process of having it tested right now.

heycorb
02-11-2015, 13:12
+1 on some 10D.