PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Decisions

jernigan76
02-13-2015, 01:55
New to hammocking...I'm looking for a hammock with a bug net. I'm 6'2" 190 pounds. I'm trying to decide between the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro, the WBBB XLC, and the WBRR. I understand there is a considerable price difference between the GT and the two WBs, but I would like to know if the difference in price is worth it. Also, I would like any opinions on the pros and cons of the gathered end hammock vs the "bridge" hammock. Thanks in advance.

NM_Leo
02-13-2015, 11:11
There's a few differences for sure. One is hammock length. At 6'2", most people would tell you that an 11' hammock is where you should go in a gathered end hammock (so xlc vs skeeter). If you go bridge, its much easier to judge if it will be long enough.
WBRR vs XLC, is like comparing a cadi to a Ford F250. They have some fantastic features in both hammocks (saddle bags vs shelf), integrated bug net, and finish is great on both. You really need to decide what's important to you, and which one would be more comfortable. I like the fact that my hammock isn't like a bed...its a hammock. I'm in the gathered in hammock space. I do have friends that jumped right into the bridge, because they wanted it to be more like a bed. I must admit, this whole thing is still new to me. I decided to start with a Dutch hammock. It was a great learning opportunity. I was able to learn about suspension, material differences, and what is comfortable to me. I don't consider it a waste...I will keep that hammock until I give it away as a gift. Its still one of my gotos. Good luck.

jernigan76
02-13-2015, 14:23
Thanks NM_Leo! I actually just started with a Walmart hammock. Figured the kids would have fun with it if I didn't like it or it didn't work for me. I like it enough that I know I would like something better! lol I think I need to find someone close to me that has a bridge hammock to try out. I like the idea of going with a Dutch hammock too. I had looked at his hardware, but didn't realize his hammocks are so reasonably priced. In fact, I should have done that instead of the Walmart hammock, but it was so convenient. Curious to know which one you deem the cadi, and which one is the F250.

SilvrSurfr
02-13-2015, 14:51
I like the fact that my hammock isn't like a bed...its a hammock. I'm in the gathered in hammock space. I do have friends that jumped right into the bridge, because they wanted it to be more like a bed. I must admit, this whole thing is still new to me. I decided to start with a Dutch hammock. It was a great learning opportunity. I was able to learn about suspension, material differences, and what is comfortable to me. I don't consider it a waste...I will keep that hammock until I give it away as a gift. Its still one of my gotos. Good luck.

Couldn't agree more. A Dutch hammock is so affordable. You can use the additional funds you didn't spend on a high-end hammock for essentials like an underquilt and a decent tarp that will make a huge difference in your hammock experience. In Texas, you could probably get by with a 40* down UQ for around $160, a synthetic KAQ Jarbidge for $100, or a no-sew PLUQ for even cheaper. Once you have the equipment and knowledge to keep yourself warm and dry, then you can delve into the high-end hammock arena.

gunner76
02-13-2015, 15:48
welcome to the madness

Recommend you attend a group hang in your area so you can check out the different rigs being used and talk the users and ask why they went with the gear they did.

jernigan76
02-13-2015, 16:24
All good advice. I posted in the Southwest section of the hangouts page on this forum. Maybe I can find some hangers in the area. Thanks

DanglingModifier
02-13-2015, 16:28
Couldn't agree more. A Dutch hammock is so affordable. You can use the additional funds you didn't spend on a high-end hammock for essentials like an underquilt and a decent tarp that will make a huge difference in your hammock experience. In Texas, you could probably get by with a 40* down UQ for around $160, a synthetic KAQ Jarbidge for $100, or a no-sew PLUQ for even cheaper. Once you have the equipment and knowledge to keep yourself warm and dry, then you can delve into the high-end hammock arena.

And I couldn't agree with this more. It is entirely counter-intuitive, but to have the best possible hammock experience you should be prepared to throw a lot more money at ancillary hammock accessories than at the hammock itself. A high-end hammock is miserable or dangerous to sleep in with inadequate coverage or problematic insulation, while an inexpensive quality hammock (like Dutch's 11' offerings) paired with quality complementary gear is a pleasure. Read up as much as you can here on Underquilts (UQs) versus pads, then save the big buck hammock purchase for after you've sorted out quality insulation and tarp.

jernigan76
02-15-2015, 18:49
This is all very helpful information. Thanks so much! So, if I only want to buy one underquilt (for now), what loft should I go with? Is sleeping in 40*-60* weather with a 20* lofted underquilt going to create problems from being too warm? Or would that depend on the type of top quilt used?

DanglingModifier
02-15-2015, 19:00
If you can only afford one underquilt go for a 20 degree model. Full size is easiest to use and likely the most comfortable. Partial size (2/3-3/4 length) will be less expensive and lighter in a backpack, but it will require something supplemental for under your legs (i.e. a small pad). A 20 degree UQ will work great in 40-60 degree temps. It doesn't make you get hot so much as it keeps you from getting cold. Properly venting or sizing whatever is on top of you will be totally sufficient to be comfortable.