PDA

View Full Version : Texas 4C Trail

Flynguy521
02-17-2015, 00:34
Anyone have any information about this trail. I'm gonna try and do it this weekend starting Friday afternoon. If anyone wants to join let me know.

http://www.texashiking.com/Locations/ShowLocation.aspx?LocationID=1641

FreedomVan
02-25-2015, 18:54
I'm surprised nobody chimed in on this one. I'm not a native Texan but I've read that this is a really nice trail. Seems a lot of this forum really likes LHST the most though. But that might be due to proximity or something. I'd be interested to hear what you thought of the trail.

Anyone have any information about this trail. I'm gonna try and do it this weekend starting Friday afternoon. If anyone wants to join let me know.

http://www.texashiking.com/Locations...ocationID=1641

Baby Huey
02-25-2015, 19:41
Looks like fun, but would be hard pressed to get on the trail without Phoebe.

Flynguy521
02-25-2015, 21:39
I didn't end up going. My wife went out of town that weekend and since pets aren't allowed on that trail I stayed home. I forgot she had a trip until the day she left. But I will be doing it soon and posting a trip report.

sargevining
02-26-2015, 07:54
Its on my list, but time is precious and the LST is comparatively closer.

delindz
02-26-2015, 08:03
I'm kind of in the same boat as Sarge. I actually thought about hiking it last week but ended up choosing the LST since it's just a little under 1.5 hours away. Looking forward to seeing a trip report though.

rhjanes
02-26-2015, 09:36
I believe the one person I know who thru-hiked it, said "cache some water". I might be wrong.

Flynguy521
02-26-2015, 10:28
Yep in my findings it said all the water sources are severely contaminated with hard metals since they are old logging ponds.

sargevining
02-26-2015, 11:08
Yah. That's one of the things that keeps me from getting water from most of the small ponds on the LST. I believe that they were created to provide a water source for steam equipment during an era where there wasn't much known about soil contamination. I think the spring fed lakes are likely OK, and most streams---but I'd check drainage to make sure none of those small ponds are draining into it upstream.

humer91
02-26-2015, 12:50
At the same time, there are some good water sources available on the LSHT, you just have to use a little common sense. The creek we used in January was a good source that I wouldn't hesitate to use again.

As for that trail, since taking Faith on the LSHT and finding out she has it in her to be an excellent Trail Dog (IMO), I am VERY hesistant to go on a hike without her. She really seems to enjoy herself, walks well with the group, carries her own gear and keeps wildlife away from the hammock at night. Win-Win for me.

sargevining
02-26-2015, 13:43
Yah, the streams are OK for the most part, but are unreliable and can become torpid standing water in periods of low rainfall. I'm referring to a lot of the small ponds that seen to dot the area a mile or two apart from each other.

And Faith IS a really good trail dog. and she's good company for Lil Bit.

FreedomVan
02-27-2015, 21:39
I'm kind of in the same boat as Sarge. I actually thought about hiking it last week but ended up choosing the LST since it's just a little under 1.5 hours away. Looking forward to seeing a trip report though.

See I'm the opposite, LSHT is not terribly far but it does take significantly more prep (time from work and such). That's why I've always been interested in 4C as an inexperienced backpacker.

I hate that there are pretty much NO places to backpack in Texas where water is not a concern.

sargevining
02-27-2015, 23:56
I think its less of a concern on the LST than on 4C. There is no official warnings about water sources as there is on 4C.

rhjanes
02-28-2015, 12:22
I hate that there are pretty much NO places to backpack in Texas where water is not a concern. Well, how about the Cross Timbers Trail? It runs along the Lake Texoma shore line. http://cedarbayou.com/cross-timbers-trail/
I think it is 14 miles in each direction.

FreedomVan
02-28-2015, 23:15
Well, how about the Cross Timbers Trail? It runs along the Lake Texoma shore line. http://cedarbayou.com/cross-timbers-trail/
I think it is 14 miles in each direction.

Interesting you mention that rhjanes. I did that as my first TX hike last autumn. I was a little concerned about drinking from the lake with all the activity it had. But, I'm new to most of this and I'm trying to learn about what water is safe to filter and what needs more, so maybe I would have been fine.

I'm headed out to LBJ soon and I have the same questions about the water there. Seems like there's tons of ponds, I just don't know if they're filled with pasture runoff.

rhjanes
02-28-2015, 23:36
I only did the Cross timbers in winter (there was ice forming on the shore line). A few on the hike filtered some. I'd carried enough as we did the hike east to west.
LBJ National Grasslands? Call the ranger station up in north Decatur for maps and water suggestions. There are some wells and stock ponds that you could filter out of for sure. Or just catch it out of the windmill. But the stock ponds, I'd just figure a way to bring enough I think. The area's I know of, have tons of equstriangs around! And they allow some ranchers into different areas also. Where we have our orienteering course (North of Black Creek Lake), there were cows 2 out of the last 3 years. So far this year, I've been up twice and no cattle. But horses. The windmill was working however. At the camping areas (Black Creek, Tada Point), I think they have wells also. They have pit latrines and camp areas there, but you also should pay the few bucks to use the area.

sargevining
03-01-2015, 10:20
Of most concern in water sources is the routine presence of large animals. They don't care where and when they poop, and many times they do it right after taking a drink. The good news is that most filters are designed to get rid of this kind of contamination.

BUT

Its always good to avoid such situations. The best water is water you bring from home.

The good thing about Texas is that when the treaty was signed to admit the State into the Union, Texas and Texans retained title to all lands, ceding none to the US. This means that there are going to be many access points to most trails from old roads going to some of this private property or pastures adjacent to some of the parks and forests, which makes caching water and food more possible than it would be in other States. If you don't want to carry a lot of water, and if your water sources are unreliable, possibly contaminated, or non-existent; study your maps and look for points along your contemplated route that you can drive to and hike short distances in to cache along the trail.

Take a look at that Cross Timbers Trail map. Anyone who is forced to filter water from the lake hasn't taken advantage of the planning opportunities that the map gives you, or has made the decision to filter water before he sets out on the hike.

But my attitude is that the filter is a tool, not a toy to be played with at every opportunity. My advise would be to plan ahead of time to minimize the use of water filtration in favor of known water.

My usual course for hiking the LST, for instance, is to take the time Friday afternoon to cache water at road crossings that cut the trail along my contemplated route or locate campsites close to parking areas, leaving supplies in a car.

EDIT TO ADD:

The big downside to so much private property within the boundaries of places like LBJ is the presence of agricultural activity. Runoff from planted fields will contain some fertilizer and pesticides, as will a lot of pastureland. Filters are NOT designed to remove this kind of contamination.

FreedomVan
03-01-2015, 15:44
Of most concern in water sources is the routine presence of large animals. They don't care where and when they poop, and many times they do it right after taking a drink. The good news is that most filters are designed to get rid of this kind of contamination.

BUT

Its always good to avoid such situations. The best water is water you bring from home.

The good thing about Texas is that when the treaty was signed to admit the State into the Union, Texas and Texans retained title to all lands, ceding none to the US. This means that there are going to be many access points to most trails from old roads going to some of this private property or pastures adjacent to some of the parks and forests, which makes caching water and food more possible than it would be in other States. If you don't want to carry a lot of water, and if your water sources are unreliable, possibly contaminated, or non-existent; study your maps and look for points along your contemplated route that you can drive to and hike short distances in to cache along the trail.

Take a look at that Cross Timbers Trail map. Anyone who is forced to filter water from the lake hasn't taken advantage of the planning opportunities that the map gives you, or has made the decision to filter water before he sets out on the hike.

But my attitude is that the filter is a tool, not a toy to be played with at every opportunity. My advise would be to plan ahead of time to minimize the use of water filtration in favor of known water.

My usual course for hiking the LST, for instance, is to take the time Friday afternoon to cache water at road crossings that cut the trail along my contemplated route or locate campsites close to parking areas, leaving supplies in a car.

EDIT TO ADD:

The big downside to so much private property within the boundaries of places like LBJ is the presence of agricultural activity. Runoff from planted fields will contain some fertilizer and pesticides, as will a lot of pastureland. Filters are NOT designed to remove this kind of contamination.

Yup. The livestock concern is the one I have about LBJ. I've never been up there I've just heard that there is some surrounding pasture.

However, you're point about caching water is what I mean about TX being frustrating. It's always great to have that option, but to me it's a bummer when that's the requirement. I feel like that is the case at places like LSHT and 4C.

sargevining
03-01-2015, 16:07
Well, its not just Texas. Most of the Gulf Coast has problems with torpid water and unreliable sources. Be grateful that we have the opportunity to cache water. There are places in the Desert Southwest where there's no opportunity to cache water for three days in any direction.

Would it be nice to have babbling brooks and mountain freshets laughing their way over boulders or tripping lightly through mountain meadows every 5 miles?

Sure.

But right now there's about three feet of snow on top of most of those places, the boogers freeze in your nose when you take a deep breath of outdoor air, and Yankees live in all of them.

Count your blessings that you're in the State where good salsa is the norm, people know how to make iced tea, there's at least two Tex Mex places in every town, and the waitresses call you hon. The land that nestles in its bosom the bones of Stevie Ray Vaughn, Janet Joplin, Bob Wills, and Buddy Holly and nurtured the Winter Brothers, Steve Miller, Waylon Jennings, Guy Clark, and Townes Van Zandt. Where A & M whoops it up, and most High School football teams are good enough to beat the varsity squads in snotty Ivy League colleges, and there's more pick up trucks than there are people. Where enchiladas made from home made tortillas are served with green tomatillo sauce and refried beans and Blue Bell Ice Cream is for dessert.

In three or four weeks the bluebonnets will be in bloom, you'll hike in 80 degree weather and sleep in the 60s while all them people with their mountain freshets are still freezing their culos off and slogging through mud to get to them.

Dude. You're about to start wakin' up to Texas in the springtime. Get out and enjoy it, most folks don't get anything quite so grand. Just carry your own water. Its a small price to pay.

FreedomVan
03-01-2015, 17:53
Well, its not just Texas. Most of the Gulf Coast has problems with torpid water and unreliable sources. Be grateful that we have the opportunity to cache water. There are places in the Desert Southwest where there's no opportunity to cache water for three days in any direction.

Would it be nice to have babbling brooks and mountain freshets laughing their way over boulders or tripping lightly through mountain meadows every 5 miles?

Sure.

But right now there's about three feet of snow on top of most of those places, the boogers freeze in your nose when you take a deep breath of outdoor air, and Yankees live in all of them.

Count your blessings that you're in the State where good salsa is the norm, people know how to make iced tea, there's at least two Tex Mex places in every town, and the waitresses call you hon. The land that nestles in its bosom the bones of Stevie Ray Vaughn, Janet Joplin, Bob Wills, and Buddy Holly and nurtured the Winter Brothers, Steve Miller, Waylon Jennings, Guy Clark, and Townes Van Zandt. Where A & M whoops it up, and most High School football teams are good enough to beat the varsity squads in snotty Ivy League colleges, and there's more pick up trucks than there are people. Where enchiladas made from home made tortillas are served with green tomatillo sauce and refried beans and Blue Bell Ice Cream is for dessert.

In three or four weeks the bluebonnets will be in bloom, you'll hike in 80 degree weather and sleep in the 60s while all them people with their mountain freshets are still freezing their culos off and slogging through mud to get to them.

Dude. You're about to start wakin' up to Texas in the springtime. Get out and enjoy it, most folks don't get anything quite so grand. Just carry your own water. Its a small price to pay.

Haha. Well, I'm speechless. Great advice that I certainly can't contend. I'm looking forward to some spring time walks in TEXAS!!

rhjanes
03-01-2015, 20:36
LBJ, north of Decatur, has a lot of equestrians and trails for them. It is all grasslands, but a lot of forest also. There are farms and ranches still scattered around in it. Be aware, the actual Grasslands is something like 125,000 acres! In two main areas, north of Decatur and also the "Caddo" area (east). AND, the forest service also leases out areas to cattle ranchers. Like I said, the areas around Black Creek/Tada point, have not had cattle in like 2 years now. But TONS of horses. I mean of the four camping areas we drive by getting into where we do the orienteering meets, this year they are almost parked shut with people and horses! But also, a lot of people go up and do day hikes from camp ground to camp ground and back again. I'm guessing the rangers maps might also show the locations of the camp areas (with water) as well as the Wells for drinking water (right out of the ground via a windmill).