PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading hammock and tarp for long term, multi climate travel

allfatherodin
02-18-2015, 23:38
Hey all, it's been a hell of a long time since I posted. For the past couple years i've been hitchhiking and free camping around Europe, and a wee bit of North Africa. With me I had a tenth wonder hornet (with the waterproof attachable layer) and the tenth wonder sargasso storm tarp. I camped in all seasons, and from Scottish humid and dampness to the dry and deathly hot Greek air. Now that i'm home for a little while, i'm looking to upgrade.

My tarp is 3.5mx3 I think, which I found was quite small for me, especially when ground camping, and in a storm especially (the "storm" part of this tarp makes no sense imo). So i'm eyeing up a 10x10 or perhaps 10x11.

The hammock is nice enough, and was a good enough price, but I found getting a good flat lay wasn't as easy as I would have liked. This has me looking at the wbbb.

Both the hammock and tarp aren't the lightest things in the world, with the hammock being about 3.7lbs altogether I do believe. Can't recall the weight of the tarp, it's not heavy but not light.

SO, what i'm looking for. A tarp that can withstand storms, with many tie-outs (right now the superfly and bushcraft outfitters tarps look good to me), tie-outs on the body of the tarp as well would be mighty useful. As for the hammock, well lighter than what I have (and I have whoopie slings already), a removable net or one that can be tucked away, and of course a flatter lay (i'm also a side sleeper)
In the somewhat near future I will be off adventuring again, likely heading down from vancouver to south america, and hopefully making a trip around the world if all works out. Which means basically all climates are likely, as well as all seasons. This makes my search a bit more interesting, as my gear will always be with me, no going back home to dump gear off or replace it. And i'm not so keen on shipping stuff to home and having stuff sent to me.

Weight is important, of course, but I spent the last couple years with an average 40lb pack, and I don't plan on doing that again ;) (unless that's food and water!)

I've been browsing the forums, and will continue to do so, but I figured i'd ask for opinions as well. So, thanks in advance!

mros2stf
02-19-2015, 09:43
I have a WBBB, and it doesn't weigh 3.7lbs. It's more like 1lb 11oz (with the webbing & buckle suspension). I love mine and get a very flat lay. I also have the Superfly tarp which weighs in at 1lb 3oz, so that's about 2lbs 14oz total weight. I then have "tarp pole mods", that I got from Dutchwear Gear, that I absolutely love which weigh another 4.8oz (set). It gives me great protection in severe weather, as well as privacy when camping with others. Very versatile, as I've made a porch with it, etc. You can't go wrong with a WBBB.

Steve

gtstricky
02-20-2015, 14:41
http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/superfly/
That is the tarp to get unless you can afford cuben in which case look at http://www.hammockgear.com/standard-cuben-fiber-tarp-with-doors/

Dutch has some hammocks now. For the price you can try a couple sizes and see what works for you: http://dutchwaregear.com/polyd-hammock.html