PDA

View Full Version : Over covers vs tarp doors

AlanRShook
02-19-2015, 20:56
Are over overs reasonable alternatives to tarp doors? Pros and cons?

WaffleBox
02-19-2015, 21:06
Over covers provide additional warmth but not much weather protection. Doors provide weather protection and privacy but not as much warmth

bkrgi
02-19-2015, 21:27
In the winter or under really cool damp dewy conditions I say over cover to supplement the tarp
It does add a few degrees of warmth, blocks or significantly slows air movement inside the Hammock (depends on how breathable it is), keeps snow especially the fine blowing stuff out and helps keep that dewy condensate out of the Hammock
Just be aware that if the over cover does not breath you will condensate inside.
I prefer and use a light 'car' blanket or cotton canvas painters tarp

In side ways rain or warmer temps, tarp with doors wins.

I say have both and use accordingly

dingbat
02-19-2015, 22:25
Just be aware that if the over cover does not breath you will condensate inside.

If it doesn't breath? Hell, I get frozen condensation on my mosquito netting when the temps are cold enough. Short of nothing at all, I don't think you can get much more breathable than that.:laugh:

bkrgi
02-19-2015, 23:16
If it doesn't breath? Hell, I get frozen condensation on my mosquito netting when the temps are cold enough. Short of nothing at all, I don't think you can get much more breathable than that.:laugh:

Stop breathing:lol::lol::lol:
Better to have it freeze on the netting or over cover than soaking your quilt, hammock and every thing else inside which would happen if you wrapped it all in say poly ;)

All about compromises and finding a happy medium and using ideas and tools to fit ones needs/conditions

To the OP..... take ideas and test test test test till it works for you

:thumbup:

AlanRShook
02-20-2015, 08:31
Thanks folks. I m mostly a fair weather hanger. Traipsing through snow and dealing with really cold weather just doesn't suit my old bones. But I m slowly upgrading my beginners kit (so far just a eno dn, a small hennessey tarp and jrb ragged mountain) and I m thinking a bigger tarp and a real hammock are next.

cjayflo
02-20-2015, 12:03
Wet gear is not good no matter the temp. I primarily do 1-2 day trips and even then wet sucks. If you can fall asleep in your hammock hang onto it for a while and put your money into a tarp with doors or get a door kit to close off one end. If you are of the DIY nature see if you can rig some beaks to close off the end of your hammock if need be.
If its a while before you can make that happen practice very good site selection and hang your hammock right up under your tarp.

Bannerstone
02-20-2015, 14:19
I'm not huge fan of my over cover, sometimes I'll run it when I go tarpless on cold clear nights but I always vent so I can star gaze and deal with condensation. There may come a time when I appreciate it more, just hasn't happened yet.

Now doors are a must for me, I run a cuben tarp so the weight and bulk are negligible. I almost always have them pulled back but they are there when I need them. The big advantage of doors is providing a substantial wind break which helps your under quilt do its job of keeping you warm. Sure there will be times when it's raining sideways and doors are great for keeping you dry, once again it's a wind issue.

Think of it this way, in an unprotected situation windchill can quickly go beyond the range of your insulation and the largest exposed surface area of your insulation is by far the underquilt so IMHO doors are a greater advantage when compared with a top cover.

David

dingbat
02-20-2015, 22:31
Stop breathing:lol::lol::lol:
Better to have it freeze on the netting or over cover than soaking your quilt, hammock and every thing else inside which would happen if you wrapped it all in say poly ;)

Tried that once.....woke up in a panic.:scared::laugh:

Last couple times out in the cold I've noticed the bugnet actually retains some body heat in the hammock. Thinking about building an over cover that is cut out where the condensation from my breath freezes on the netting. Not for protection from precipitation, just to bump up the heat retention factor. If I use the right fabric and come up with a svelte enough retention system, I'm thinking I could get it to pack down to the size of a deck or two of cards. Not bad insurance against a forecast that misses the mark by 10 or so degrees.

bkrgi
02-21-2015, 15:24
Insurance factor can make it very worth while....
For me, below freezing in wind blown snow I will do a cotton canvas cover. The fine snow has a way of migrating into things without a cover to drape over the hammock and UQ....or as a added few degrees of warmth or wind protection.
In above freezing coolish weather I will do a light nylon/polyester fiber blanket...why.....using a thin nylon or similar material i run into the problem of Radiant heat loss.
In conditions pushing in/around the freeze mark and where dew point and air temp are very close with clear skies (which is key here) the tarp and any thin materials cool faster than air temp quickly hitting the dew point. YUP ..Everything gets soaked...and I mean everything, tarp inside out, hammock, outer shells of quilts, you name it ...it is wet.
By using the blanket it does not cool like the thin nylon materials ....all the little fibers act as insulation against radiant losses there by keeping everything under the blanket dry. Now add me as a heat source under the blanket cover and the blanket being breathable(to let my condensation out) I and my quilts stay really dry.
Now if you hang in heavy tree cover the trees act as the blanket.

Its just how I deal with what Mother Nature throws at me in this location...and it does vary from spot to spot as well, that whole micro climate stuff that happens.

As always use tools that work for you and your conditions and test test test.