PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping in a van with a hammock? Need suggestions

lolcash
02-21-2015, 13:36
Hi Guys,

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Express and I am planning on sleeping in it using a hammock. It is a Passenger van and is pretty long, just not the extended version. It only has the very far rear seat which is not long enough for me anyway. The center of the van is free since there are no seats and I am thinking on sleeping in a hammock inside of it.

I need some suggestions as to what type of Hammock would be good for this this set and what kind of suspension system would I need? I have amazon prime so I am not sure if that will help any. I was told before to buy a table cloth first before buying anything expensive, and I can try that just I am no longer in my studio, so I don't know if a table cloth can be used inside a van?

My original idea was to hang the hammock from the passenger door to the doors at the back of the van. I think they are called barn doors? Both open to the side, so no tail gate. This would set up the hammock at a, i think, 45 degree angle making the space a little longer. To hang it from the doors I was thinking on tying a rope to the hammock's ends and just tying a knot at one end of the rope. Then leave the knot on the outside of the door before closing it. THe knot would keep the rope from slipping inside for as long as the door is closed. Though I dont' know if this would damage the door frame. I was thinking I can also use hooks but I'd need something thin enough to let the door close fully yet still hold my weigh.

I am 5'11" and weigh 175 lbs. Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciate it.

Brien
02-21-2015, 14:00
How far apart are the attachment points?

Osulagh
02-21-2015, 16:58
You'll need about 8 1/2 feet to span a 10 foot hammock (what I'd recommend for your height), and several feet of play on the sides to allow for the diagonal lay--probably best to hang the hammock diagonal and lay with the body of the van.

daneaustin3
02-21-2015, 18:29
I don't think trying close the door on the suspension would be a good idea. I would use a couple of eye hooks and some fender washers for attachment points. Use a loop through the channel of the hammock and attach directly to the eye hooks. Look at dutch's hammocks. For $35 you can't really go wrong.

nothermark
02-21-2015, 19:15
I think I would measure the diagonal between the rear corner of a front door and the opposite back door. If there is enough room a long strap or two straps connected over the roof and into those corners will support your hammock with buckles or a slipped knot. Use a plastic bag under the strap where it passes through the door gasket and over the turn to the roof to minimize chafing on the paint. If I liked that setup I might try for something more permanent but it can be a problem to find strong points. Door frames are about as good as it gets.

Philsweep
02-21-2015, 19:17
I think just sleeping in the van with a sleeping bag would be best. If I was to use a hammock it would be outside the van with maybe something on the van as an anchor and a tree as the other anchor. Just my thought.

lolcash
02-21-2015, 19:26
How far apart are the attachment points?

I will have to try and measure it once I get back into the van, but I have a feeling the length will be good enough to hang a hammock. The van is pretty long! This is the basic info I have on it:

2004 Chevrolet Express

Length: 224.1" (About 18.6 Feet though I think that includes the nose of the van, but van noses are pretty short.)
Wheel Base: 135.0"
Width: 79.4"
Height: 81.6"

You'll need about 8 1/2 feet to span a 10 foot hammock (what I'd recommend for your height), and several feet of play on the sides to allow for the diagonal lay--probably best to hang the hammock diagonal and lay with the body of the van.

That should be doable. The Van is nice and long and I can easily lay down on the floor and still have space. Do you have any suggestions on hammocks that are hopefully not too expensive? Preferably one I could find on Amazon? I no longer have a physical address so amazon locker has been a huge help.

I like the idea of hanging the van diagonal which I thought was best since it could work with the passenger door and the rear doors (Barn Doors?). It doesn't have a tail gate and instead has 2 doors so I think this would make it easier.

I don't think trying close the door on the suspension would be a good idea. I would use a couple of eye hooks and some fender washers for attachment points. Use a loop through the channel of the hammock and attach directly to the eye hooks. Look at dutch's hammocks. For $35 you can't really go wrong.

Do you think the door might get damaged if I try to do that? Some paint being scrapped off seems okay. Originally I wanted to just tie a knot on a rope then close the door. The knot would not let the rope slip in and I don't think that would scrape the paint much.

For the eyehooks what kind of installation will this be? Will I need power tools? I have none. I really wanted to try and go with something simpler since buying tools would cost some and I just wouldn't know what to do with them after they are used. Suggestions?

I think I would measure the diagonal between the rear corner of a front door and the opposite back door. If there is enough room a long strap or two straps connected over the roof and into those corners will support your hammock with buckles or a slipped knot. Use a plastic bag under the strap where it passes through the door gasket and over the turn to the roof to minimize chafing on the paint. If I liked that setup I might try for something more permanent but it can be a problem to find strong points. Door frames are about as good as it gets.

That sounds like a good idea. I can just run some rope? or really thin rope over the van and inside it. That would likely provide the best support as the weght will get distributed along the roof? The only thing I would worry about is people wondering what the rope is all about goin across the van like that. I will be sleeping in it and I want to try and remain as stealthy as possible since if people think someone is sleeping they might get really suspicious. It is just something I have to deal with now.

Do you think the door frame idea I had at he begining would be good? It seems easier to set up and remove. The idea of running the line along the roof is great, but at the end of the day it might be a bit of a pain to have to set it up every time. Or just run through out the day with it and people look at it and wonder why it is like that.

I think just sleeping in the van with a sleeping bag would be best. If I was to use a hammock it would be outside the van with maybe something on the van as an anchor and a tree as the other anchor. Just my thought.

As far as I know you can't hang hammocks here in cali from trees in the public park. The van has steel rails for the seat running along the floor and to be able to sleep on there would mean me buying some wood to make a big table so my back doesn't get cracked by the steeel rails. IT would also take up more space and a more time consuming set up at the end of the day (When I just want to sleep). I want to try and save up space and the hammock seems best. Beds tend to take up a lot of space inside vans. SLeeping bag sounds good, but then I have to do the extra work for the floor due to the rails.

daneaustin3
02-21-2015, 19:40
That should be doable. The Van is nice and long and I can easily lay down on the floor and still have space. Do you have any suggestions on hammocks that are hopefully not too expensive? Preferably one I could find on Amazon? I no longer have a physical address so amazon locker has been a huge help.

www.dutchwaregear.com $35 for a hammock. (2) countinous loops $2.50 each.

Do you think the door might get damaged if I try to do that? Some paint being scrapped off seems okay. Originally I wanted to just tie a knot on a rope then close the door. The knot would not let the rope slip in and I don't think that would scrape the paint much.

For the eyehooks what kind of installation will this be? Will I need power tools? I have none. I really wanted to try and go with something simpler since buying tools would cost some and I just wouldn't know what to do with them after they are used. Suggestions?

The problem I see with trying to pinch something in the doors is they could slip down the door since the pressure will be pulling to the back thus landing you on the floor. Also you will damage the seal in each of the doors. Straps would be a better choice but pose the same problem. Also you will comprimise the integrity of the rope by compressing it in the door.
I was thinking drilling a couple of holes in the van and mounting a eye hook opened up a little so the countinous loop would slip onto it. Fender washers would help spread the weight a little. Not the greatest of ideas but should work considering the A piller and rear piller are pretty strong. It all depends on what kind of measurement you have from corner to corner.

BiGR Rich
02-21-2015, 20:57
Lol, look at this thread dealing with DIY tablecloth hammocks:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/62832-DIY-Tablecloth-Hammock-(the-way-I-do-it)?highlight=tablecloth+caveman

The lashing on the ends is especially useful - if you have longer fabric than what you need you can just redo the lashing further in. It's tough to say where you can attach the suspension to though (since I can't recall ever seeing that van in person....). What about maybe using the seatbelt shoulder attachment points the very rear of the van?

Edit: now that I think about it a little more, what about using something like a Turtledog stand? Hanging a pipe from the ceiling somehow and the hammock from the pipe? Just throwing ideas out there....

lolcash
02-21-2015, 21:21
www.dutchwaregear.com $35 for a hammock. (2) countinous loops $2.50 each.

The problem I see with trying to pinch something in the doors is they could slip down the door since the pressure will be pulling to the back thus landing you on the floor. Also you will damage the seal in each of the doors. Straps would be a better choice but pose the same problem. Also you will comprimise the integrity of the rope by compressing it in the door.
I was thinking drilling a couple of holes in the van and mounting a eye hook opened up a little so the countinous loop would slip onto it. Fender washers would help spread the weight a little. Not the greatest of ideas but should work considering the A piller and rear piller are pretty strong. It all depends on what kind of measurement you have from corner to corner.

Thank you for the hammock site. Now I just have to think how I will order it as I don't have a physical address to get deliveries. No friends either as crazy as it sounds.... The only family I have is living with me in the van. Times are tough! That is why amazon locker would be a great idea since I can pick it up at a locker they offer through out L.A. County. That or pay for a P.O. Box the cheapest box I have seen is $35 USD so 30+35 = $75 total to get the hammock plus power tools :(. Sad to say that I actually took on some good debt to be able to buy this used van, so I would like to try and not have to buy power tools to do it :(.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/62832-DIY-Tablecloth-Hammock-(the-way-I-do-it)?highlight=tablecloth+caveman

The lashing on the ends is especially useful - if you have longer fabric than what you need you can just redo the lashing further in. It's tough to say where you can attach the suspension to though (since I can't recall ever seeing that van in person....). What about maybe using the seatbelt shoulder attachment points the very rear of the van?

Edit: now that I think about it a little more, what about using something like a Turtledog stand? Hanging a pipe from the ceiling somehow and the hammock from the pipe? Just throwing ideas out there....

Thank you I will read all of that thread. There is actually a chance that I might be able to pick up some cloth from the street in L.A. It seems there are some shops that sometimes throw away used cloth rolls that they don't use. Just have to look about and make some time to find it. The suspension is the tough part and that is why I wanted to use the door in the way I mentioned. I think even if the gasket on the door gets damaged it should be okay. It almost never rains here in L.A. The seat belt attachments could work though they are further inside than the very edge of the doors so I would lose about a foot or more by doing this. I actually haven't checked if there is a seat belt attachment for the very back corner of the van, but I will look into and see if that is a possiblity. They also sit lower than the door frame so the hammock will sit lower due to that.

If I do find some cloth off the street for the hammock I will have to due to the stiching by hand as I don't have a machine to sew it all up. Not sure how strong that'll be compared to machine stitch.

-edit-

Just read that thread and it seems you don't even need to use any type of stitching. That is amazing! The only thing could be that it has no hem along the edges since it will be unused thrown away cloth roll....

Could you guys suggest to me the length and width of table cloth that I should cut for someone who is my height and weight? 5'11" and 175 lbs?

daneaustin3
02-21-2015, 21:30
Thank you for the hammock site. Now I just have to think how I will order it as I don't have a physical address to get deliveries. No friends either as crazy as it sounds.... The only family I have is living with me in the van. Times are tough! That is why amazon locker would be a great idea since I can pick it up at a locker they offer through out L.A. County. That or pay for a P.O. Box the cheapest box I have seen is $35 USD so 30+35 = $75 total to get the hammock plus power tools :(. Sad to say that I actually took on some good debt to be able to buy this used van, so I would like to try and not have to buy power tools to do it :(.

If I do find some cloth off the street for the hammock I will have to due to the stiching by hand as I don't have a machine to sew it all up. Not sure how strong that'll be compared to machine stitch.

As someone that full times in an RV I understand the physical address bit. Try looking at http://www.goinpostal.com/locations/locator_state.php?state=CA I had a box from them for the last year and it cost me something like $90 for the year. They accept all types of shipments (USPS, UPS, FexEx, etc).
Another idea is to have things shipped to your employer. I ship things into my work all the time since I'm there more than home.

As for tools and getting things sewn up. Bartering is great - need to use a drill? Offer to sweep the floor at an auto repair place. I've bartered for all sorts of things. I prefer to do that anytime possible.

lolcash
02-21-2015, 22:53
As someone that full times in an RV I understand the physical address bit. Try looking at http://www.goinpostal.com/locations/locator_state.php?state=CA I had a box from them for the last year and it cost me something like $90 for the year. They accept all types of shipments (USPS, UPS, FexEx, etc).
Another idea is to have things shipped to your employer. I ship things into my work all the time since I'm there more than home.

As for tools and getting things sewn up. Bartering is great - need to use a drill? Offer to sweep the floor at an auto repair place. I've bartered for all sorts of things. I prefer to do that anytime possible.

Thanks for the link. I live right in the heart of L.A. so there isn't anything close to me that I can get to from what I can see in the list. I was in an RV myself but it had a lot of roof leaks and in winter with the rain pouring I kept having to use buckets just to stay alive. Slept with 7 pants, 5 shirts, and 2 sweaters. 2 opened sleeping bags (ziper broke) and 2 thick blankets. That was the only way to stay warm. I also slept on the floor of the RV which was pretty cold. I actually work through the net and left day to day jobs about 2 years ago.

I actually found this online http://imgur.com/a/DERoL

Previa Hammock

The idea seems fantastic that is what I had in mind except for the PVC Pipe and Surgical Latex tubing. That is perfect! I just don't know how to do the spliced dog bone bit and locked brumel eye? Seems like the perfect way to hang the hammock and also remain pretty stealthy outside. If I could find some surgical tubing of the same color of the van I should be all set! I will just have to get the cloth from a discarded place and hunt down some rope? Does home depot offer rope that is worthy of carrying hammock weight?

Grinder
02-21-2015, 23:10
I set up a standard size hennessy clone in my GMC Safari EXT minivan. I ran it from the rear door, drivers side, to the front of the passenger door.
the link is to my post herein with pictures.
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/16592-Hang-inside-a-van?highlight=hammock%2C
I never actually slept a night in it. When hung, it was rather awkward getting in and out of the rear area.

BiGR Rich
02-21-2015, 23:41
Depending on the color of the van and the height of the PVC outside the doors, I wouldn't worry too much about it being "stealth". White PVC on a white van shouldn't be very noticeable ...

In regards to what rope to use as a sususpension: the worst that will happen is that it will break, and you'll fall a couple inches (?) to the floor. So while most here use Amsteel, you could probably get away with other material. Just be sure to have something under you to cushion a fall, and try to figure out what kind of knots you'll be able to use.

lolcash
02-21-2015, 23:50
I set up a standard size hennessy clone in my GMC Safari EXT minivan. I ran it from the rear door, drivers side, to the front of the passenger door.
the link is to my post herein with pictures.
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/16592-Hang-inside-a-van?highlight=hammock%2C
I never actually slept a night in it. When hung, it was rather awkward getting in and out of the rear area.

Hi There,

I am reading the thread now. Thank you for letting me know.

Would you guys be able to advice me on the width for the cloth for the hammock? Someone said 10 feet long, but what about width?

Depending on the color of the van and the height of the PVC outside the doors, I wouldn't worry too much about it being "stealth". White PVC on a white van shouldn't be very noticeable ...

In regards to what rope to use as a sususpension: the worst that will happen is that it will break, and you'll fall a couple inches (?) to the floor. So while most here use Amsteel, you could probably get away with other material. Just be sure to have something under you to cushion a fall, and try to figure out what kind of knots you'll be able to use.

Thanks for the reply. I would rather prefer not to fall so I wouldn't mind investing a little more on rope that will prevent that. It will likely make me not sleep very easily in the hammock for a while and I really could use sleep. Sleeping in a van on the street is tough same with an RV. lots of cars people and other things. Its not at all like a house :( so sleep is very valuable.

BiGR Rich
02-22-2015, 00:03
I've been doing a lot of research into house-less living recently, so I have an idea of what you're talking about.

As I stated earlier, most people use Amsteel for their hammocks. But that wasn't always the norm (matter of fact, look at those cheesy rope hammocks for yards....they don't use amsteel either!). So there are other options. I've read (ie = not tried personally) about people using paracord and just doubling up each section to support the weight. But paracord stretches, so that won't be useful to you. Are there any marine supply areas near you? Any type of non stretching rope would be a good material to start with.

But good luck man!

Grinder
02-22-2015, 08:03
the standard hennessy clone material blank is 120 by 60 inches. You hem it and roll the ends in one of the many styles and whip it and you are done.

In most cases, material is sold in about 60 inches width. I have always just used the full width and not trimmed it. ( you do still hem all the say around.

Here is the thread that I followed.
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/670-My-Take-On-DIY-Hennessy-Hammock-A-Tutorial/page50

Treehugger1976
02-22-2015, 09:17
I feel your pain. Go to Sports Chalet. There's one in Huntington. I saw a few Grand Trunk Hammocks for 19.99 yesterday. They'll work.

16242 Beach Blvd
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
United States

ikea sells straps/web tie downs, for 3 or 4 dollars that you could loop out the back door over the top and back in the passenger door. It might take a few. You might be able to find webbing cheaper somewhere else. Sports Chalet has it. REI sells it by the foot. It's just a few blocks away in huntington. The seamstress at your nearest fluff and fold would probably see it for you very cheaply. You could have a loop sewn at the back door (top) which would be the middle of the webbing. And two loops, one at each end. Clip the hammock end the the loop and the back door and the other end to the end loops at the front door. With one of the straps going over your van and one on the inside. If that makes sense. Measure it out exactly. Take it in. Good luck!

lolcash
02-22-2015, 13:59

I read the thread you provided and it seems great. I just am having some trouble with how to wrap the string. it seems really simple, but for some reason I keep messing it. Do you know of any video online? Also the pictures aren't loading in the thread right now for some weird reason. This is the tie for the very end of the hammock that he says is folded into an accordion?

lolcash
02-22-2015, 19:43
Okay I managed to do the knot once I got some extra time to think it through. Did not seem as hard hopefully its right. It looks about right. The next question is what is that "shock cord" that goes along the hem of the hammock? Is it neccessary? What exactly is the purpose of it? Another thing is the whoopie? Also.. the knotty knot mod.... I will read through the thread hopefully it will have an answer.

-edit-

ok i read further and it had an answer. It seems it is not neccesary, but seems useful. I would have to make a little channel for the hammock if I want to be able to run a shock cord through. It basically prevents the fabric from falling out the sides and keeps the hammock like a boat in terms of shape?

ktitan
02-23-2015, 13:59
For shipping I used to have packages delivered to the local office of both ups and fedex. You'd have to go into the office and get an address to use, also it was good to tell them in advance if something was coming so they would hold it. It's been a few years, but you could probably do that when you order something online.

lolcash
02-23-2015, 18:23
For shipping I used to have packages delivered to the local office of both ups and fedex. You'd have to go into the office and get an address to use, also it was good to tell them in advance if something was coming so they would hold it. It's been a few years, but you could probably do that when you order something online.

Do you mean they sell P.O. Boxes there? Or is it a different service?

Here is an update:

I tied the hammock and I hung it in the van. It held up good then the rope I used snapped. I fell but it was only about two inches or so. I guess I need better rope. Should I get that rope everyone talks about/ Armsteel rope?

I did a search in amazon for amsteel and go this

http://www.amazon.com/Hammock-Bliss-Sling-Suspension-System/dp/B00EL3LN9O/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1424733815&sr=1-2&keywords=amsteel+rope

http://www.amazon.com/Whoopie-Slings-Hammocks-Green-Genuine/dp/B00L9N38DS/ref=sr_1_14?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1424733815&sr=1-14&keywords=amsteel+rope

Would either one of these two work? The rest is 500 usd worth of rope everywhere so I am shut down on that...

mconlonx
02-23-2015, 22:21
My current setup in a van:

- ENO doublenest, suspended by self drilled holes, eye hooks and fender washers, tie down straps (infinitely adjustable). I thought I'd use the tie down straps only until I figured out proper suspension length, but a) adjustable straps have been useful over multiple non-level sleep sites, and b) they've been useful to have along re. tying down motorcycles, outdoor non-weight-weenie sleeping arrangements, etc.

- I'm in Maine for the Winter, so: doubled over moving pad + thermarest 3/4 pad in the hammock. North Face -20degF rated Elkhorn sleeping bag. Generic poly-fill comforter underinsulation rigged with spring clamps. Ridge line + fleece blanket over-insulation. Good down to single digits w/o aux heat.

I bought grommets and shock cord for soon to install replacement of fussy spring clamp arrangement on underinsulation cheap-*** comforter.

Originally, just a quick solution to sleeping off the floor in a van; continually, my preferred sleeping arrangement. Cheaper/quicker than building out a bunk with memory foam or equivalent, which is the next best thing to a hammock for my lower back issues. Sleeping in a hammock full time has be revelatory and an incredible benefit regarding decades old lower back injury.

ktitan
02-24-2015, 08:15
Do you mean they sell P.O. Boxes there? Or is it a different service?

I used to live in an apartment where left packages would disappear. Both UPS and FedEx let me get stuff delivered to their local office/warehouse (not a ups store) for free. I had to know when something was coming and it was good to let the office people know in advance so they would hold the package for a few days. This was years ago, but they might still do the same thing. I don't know if this was an official service or if they just recognized that they couldn't leave packages so it was just easier to skip the process of leaving a note on the door and then having to search for things when people came to the office to pick things up.

Black Wolf
02-24-2015, 08:52
I set up a Clark Jungle in. 3500 cargo van. Fortunately it had the steel safety cage w/ door behind the seats .. I used two Amsteel loops and biners.. One on the safety doors top cross bar and the other on the top door latch of the rear two doors.

lolcash
02-24-2015, 12:35
I set up a Clark Jungle in. 3500 cargo van. Fortunately it had the steel safety cage w/ door behind the seats .. I used two Amsteel loops and biners.. One on the safety doors top cross bar and the other on the top door latch of the rear two doors.

Great thanks to know which I have the safety cage in my van. Do you know of any alternatives to amsteel? I found some amazon but I don't know if they will be useful to me. Any other rope that is legitimate and is sold in amazon?

I used to live in an apartment where left packages would disappear. Both UPS and FedEx let me get stuff delivered to their local office/warehouse (not a ups store) for free. I had to know when something was coming and it was good to let the office people know in advance so they would hold the package for a few days. This was years ago, but they might still do the same thing. I don't know if this was an official service or if they just recognized that they couldn't leave packages so it was just easier to skip the process of leaving a note on the door and then having to search for things when people came to the office to pick things up.

I see I am not sure if it will work but I can try though I likely still need to have a physical address for the package unless the package is typed in with the warehouse office address when you place the order online. If not then I still have to have a regular address somewhere and have the packaage HOLD hopefully and not delivered by some human errror lol

I still need some rope!

Black Wolf
02-24-2015, 16:27
any rope & good biners. Any rope that pass through the openings .. You're not carrying it or exposing it to weather, so it matters very little. Use biners so you can get it out of the way and rehang it easier. Adjust your hanging loops so you just clip it back in place with your preferred sag.

Use the local PO .. General Delivery..they'll hold it 30 days .. Think Hiker bounce box/ Resupply

Coded-Dude
02-24-2015, 17:01

It would probably be easier to contact these small cottage vendors(than the larger department type stores like REI, etc.) and have them send it to your nearest post office as general delivery and then you can pick it up at your convenience(they generally only hold stuff for so long), but it is an option...as long as you have ID and can get to the nearest post office.
http://sectionhiker.com/hiker-resupply-and-mail-drops/

Fig
02-27-2015, 17:33
I still need some rope!

Since you are in downtown L.A., how opposed are you to driving a little. I know there is a West Marine at Marina Del Rey (4750 Admiralty Way, Marina Del Rey, CA 90292 Phone: (310) 823-5357). I am pretty sure they sold Amsteel there by the foot. You could give them a call. I don't live in the L.A. area anymore, otherwise I would have been happy to let you borrow a drill and make up some mounts.

BryanS
02-28-2015, 00:18
Use the local PO .. General Delivery..they'll hold it 30 days .. Think Hiker bounce box/ Resupply

I was thinking the same thing. When people through hike the Appalachian Trail they just have resupply packages sent to post offices "general delivery." The post office just holds the package and waits for the person named on the package to come get it there. I've never tried doing this but I think it should work.

I have hung a hammock from Dutch indoors and use it regularly for sleeping. It's good quality and a low price. Regardless of price, that's what I'd personally buy (10 foot in NylonD is exactly what I'd buy) but given that price is a consideration, it makes it all the more appealing.

I don't know exactly how I'd rig the suspension inside a van. I might try something like you suggested wedging the suspension in a door jam. Dutch also sells some suspension materials like flat polyester webbing that might work well for this sort of application.

One thing that you might have missed is a way to keep warm. Sleeping in a hammock exposes your bottom side to air and I tend to feel cold anytime it's below about 70 degrees. You'll probably be surprised at how cold you can get on a relatively warm night due to this convection heat loss. People call it CBS (cold butt syndrome). The cheap, simple solution is to use a hammock made from two layers of material and stuff some insulating material in between the layers. People regularly use those cheap closed cell foam sleep pads sold for camping or even those reflective windshield screens. Dutch has just started offering a double layered hammock which could handle this sort of use and that's what I'd buy but it does bump the cost from $35 up to $60.

nancybee
06-02-2015, 11:32
My original idea was to hang the hammock from the passenger door to the doors at the back of the van.

I have been doing exactly that in a 91 dodge ram ram for the last 4 months. It works well.

I have a treklight hammock. It has a continuous loop sewn in to both ends. At each end of the I hooked the hammock loop with carabiners to a rope with knots in it. The knot gets closed in the drivers side door and one of the back barn doors (diagonally).

Because the space is tight you do will need to fiddle with where exactly in the doors you put it.

One warning. I did mess up the rubber molding on the front drivers side by putting the knot fairly far forward. It slid and ripped the molding. Now I put it at the corner of the door where it cant slide. (it was no biggie really).

You can read a post on what I did here: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/hammock-living-ultimate-simple-van-conversion/

nancybee
06-02-2015, 11:37
My current setup in a van:

suspended by self drilled holes, eye hooks and fender washers, tie down straps (infinitely adjustable).

May I ask how you figured where to drill the holes? I haven't taken the molding off the roof of my van (dodge ram). Will it be obvious where to put the eyebolts?