PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried sleeping criss cross applesauce?

davidrip
02-23-2015, 14:34
This morning I took a few minutes resting in my hammock and discovered that, at least for a brief period of time, I could lie down with my legs crossed and feel quite comfortable. I realized that if such a position works long term, it has a lot of potential of minimizing gear because my body takes up less space. I could have a shorter hammock, top quilt, under quilt or pad, tarp... let me know if I'm missing something. Another side benefit, for those that have difficulty with the hammock pushing against your calf or making your legs and knees feel like they're hyper-extending, these become a non-issue when lying criss cross.

Let me know if you've ever tried this and what you think.

gmcttr
02-23-2015, 17:47
For a short period, yes. For all night, not a chance for me.

Give it a try and see how long you last.

Flynguy521
02-23-2015, 17:50
For a short period, yes. For all night, not a chance for me.

Give it a try and see how long you last.

Same here. I'm a tosser and turner so I inevitably end up in that position. I also like to sleep with a straightened leg over a bent leg. It would look like this 4

rhjanes
02-23-2015, 17:52
crossed or more frog-style? and sure, you can sleep like that. But eventually, you will stretch out.

brohawk
02-24-2015, 06:35
I switch between cross leg and side. cant seem to stay in any position for too long. Also depends on weather. I dont sleep criss cross if its cold. seems harder to stay warm.

WaffleBox
02-24-2015, 07:23
Tried it last night. Had no problem falling asleep but woke up with legs extended.

ktitan
02-24-2015, 08:47
I have fallen asleep this way in the hammock and on the couch, and it is pretty comfortable for me. There are times when I've woken up in the same position (at least on the couch, I'm not sure about the hammock). I think generally I would stretch out at some point, but I am not sure if that is because I am uncomfortable or just because I have a tendency to fill all available space. I have slept successfully in a fetal ball, when I had a short underquilt and nothing for my feet. I think with those 2 positions I could probably sleep happily on a 2 night hike. I don't know how long that comfort would last, but it is an interesting idea for cutting weight.

I've never really felt a need for a long 12 foot hammock maybe because I am comfortable scrunched up. I don't think that would apply for most people. You could probably go with a shorter (but you might need wider) top quilt and save a few ounces. Definitely a shorter underquiltcould save a lot. The 45 in underquilt I've slept on is about 8 oz lighter than my 75 inch (both rated for 20 degrees). For me (6 ft) a 55 in underquilt would probably be good if I had a short hammock that I could comfortable lay in a scrunched up position. I also wonder if a bit wider than the standard lengths on the underquilt would also be better.

I guess you would also save weight on the hammock and with a shorter tarp. To me it is an interested idea for short high mile trips.

barefoot_4_2
02-24-2015, 14:38
Yeah, I've slept that way before. I also sleep curled up in a ball on my side a lot.I would really miss not being able to stretch out though.

dbass
02-24-2015, 15:33
Like some of the others, I've fallen asleep that way, but after a little while, its just becomes uncomfortable and I wake up with my hips aching or I've stretched out. Maybe if I were a bit more limber it would work, but most days I'm lucky if I can touch my knees, let a lone my toes :lol:.
Dbass

TreeBeard13
03-02-2015, 13:15
I occasionally do this if I'm trying to elevate my head due to sinus issues, but will always wake up uncrossed. Usually 3/4 side with my legs shaped like a "4" with the foot bent leg one tucked under the straight leg at the knee, for support is most comfortable for me.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night!"

wagex
03-11-2015, 16:47
sounds hard on the ol' knees. i can barely sit criss cross anymore normally :\

SaltyCajunHanger
03-17-2015, 15:37
Ive slept like the OP suggested once and the next morning my knees were killing me, never tried it again.