PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes without pad

mpanbat
09-11-2009, 09:33
Has anyone ever tried hammocking with a Big Agnes sleeping bag without a pad, but with an underquilt instead?

I like the idea of winter camping, and I think this could be a good way to save weight (as the down under my back would just be compressed in an ordinary sleeping bag, which would just be a big waste of grams).

Ongs-Hat
09-11-2009, 09:51
I had two Big Agnes sleeping bags while I was in transition from ground to trees. They work great...only problem is some people have difficulty getting into sleeping bags while in the hammock.

I have since purchased a nice fancy top quilt because of the flexibility they offer.

Roadtorque
09-11-2009, 09:58
I use one and love it. I currently dont have an underquilt but I put the pad in the hammock pocket not the bag's pocket and it works fine. To me it saves weight as you mentioned and is better than a top quilt in that you take out the possibility of any drafts.

mpanbat
09-11-2009, 10:01
I'm a bit sceptical to using a top quilt during winter, as I would imagine there would be a lot of convectional heat loss through the open back when rolling around during the night. It gets pretty cold here in Norway during winter. What's your experience?

Sweeper
09-11-2009, 10:16
Has anyone ever tried hammocking with a Big Agnes sleeping bag without a pad, but with an underquilt instead?

I like the idea of winter camping, and I think this could be a good way to save weight (as the down under my back would just be compressed in an ordinary sleeping bag, which would just be a big waste of grams).

I use my Horse Thief pretty much all the time as a three season quilt down here in GA, works really well. I haven't used my Lost Ranger as a quilt yet, but I can't see any reason why it won't work as well...the only thing I wonder about with that is that it has the hood built in vs. a rectangular cut on the HT. When I was a ground dweller many years ago, I actually found that I slept better in the HT rather than the LR due to a snugger cut in the HT.

Having said all of that, this will be my first cold season with my new double BB, so I plan on playing using a GG pad as well as my BA insulated Air Core's in the pad pocket to go along with various UQ's that I have.

And like many others on this board, I have an addiction..... :lol: eyes a new BMBH since it now can handle 275lbs....

-PH

slowhike
09-11-2009, 15:04
You can try the BA sleeping bag, using it as a "top quilt", w/o making any changes to the bag.
Then if you find you like using a top quilt, you could do what I did to my BA Horse Thief, as well as 2 or three other sleeping bags.
I removed the pad sleeve & zipper, reducing the bulk & weight that much more.
Top quilts work great in the winter. I know I've slept comfortably in the teens (Fahrenheit) & others here, much, much colder!!!

TinaLouise
09-12-2009, 06:16
I'm a bit sceptical to using a top quilt during winter, as I would imagine there would be a lot of convectional heat loss through the open back when rolling around during the night. It gets pretty cold here in Norway during winter. What's your experience?

This almost sounds like you're really asking not about using the big agnas as a top quilt but that you're wondering how the lack of insulation on the bottom will keep you warm???:confused: Or how any top quilt will keep you warm from the convection heat loss coming from the bottom.??
In a nut shell..... they wont!!! Neither the top quilt or the big agnas or even a reg sleeping bag will pervent the convectional heat loss that happens to the bottom of any hammock. YOU must have some kind of extra bottom insulation that is not compressed by your body laying on it. So that's why hammock people either use under quilts, pads or a combo of the two to stay warm. I've found that IF I've got my under-insulation correct, that my top insulation can be less. I can always put on more clothes to try and stay warm but if the bottom insulation isn't enough for the low temps, I'll still be cold.

TinaLouise

sir_n0thing
09-12-2009, 09:13
I have a BA bag that I have toyed with in my hammock. Many people report difficulty getting in and out of a bag inside a hammock, but I haven't noticed any problems with it. The thing I really like about using a bag in the hammock is the hood system not only kept my head warm, but also kept my little 12" pillow in place all night. :)

I would assume the BA bag would work great in combination with a good underquilt, provided you are cool with using a bag versus a top quilt.

Some people report using various pads for cold weather, CCF pads, self-inflating pads, etc. I've heard allot about the Exped Downmat being good in the cold. I would assume that any pad would work really well in combination with a BA bag.

HYOH, YMMV, etc applies as always :) I like sleeping bags, but I think I'm a minority in the hammock world. I'm also pretty new, so I reserve the right to change my mind and convert to top quilts at some point! LOL

mpanbat
09-12-2009, 10:11
This almost sounds like you're really asking not about using the big agnas as a top quilt but that you're wondering how the lack of insulation on the bottom will keep you warm???:confused: Or how any top quilt will keep you warm from the convection heat loss coming from the bottom.??
In a nut shell..... they wont!!! Neither the top quilt or the big agnas or even a reg sleeping bag will pervent the convectional heat loss that happens to the bottom of any hammock. YOU must have some kind of extra bottom insulation that is not compressed by your body laying on it. So that's why hammock people either use under quilts, pads or a combo of the two to stay warm. I've found that IF I've got my under-insulation correct, that my top insulation can be less. I can always put on more clothes to try and stay warm but if the bottom insulation isn't enough for the low temps, I'll still be cold.

TinaLouise
No, of course I would use an underquilt, as I said in the first post. I'm thinking of using my thick down jacket for that (I'm kind of a gram weenie;). By convectional heat loss (ie. mass movement of warm air) I mean that when using a regular top quilt (with an open back) in the hammock, a lot of heat could be lost under the edge of the top quilt while the sleeper moves during the night. The Big Agnes (with a closed back when used like a normal sleeping bag) eliminates this gap through which the air can move.
I just haven't seen people talk about using the BA like that (but it's probably not an issue until it gets cold).

Just Jeff
09-12-2009, 10:16

Sort of...two things to consider.

First, when you roll around in a sleeping bag, you roll with the bag...e.g. your face stays in the face whole when you roll. But in a quilt, you roll inside the quilt. So the quilt itself stays in the same position and you just roll inside it...there's no loss due to the "open back" unless the quilt is too narrow and you get a draft...that would be the only convectional loss.

Second, whether you're in a bag or quilt you'll still need bottom insulation...either a pad or underquilt. That pad or quilt will insulate the area you're calling the "open back" and it's needed whether you have a bag or quilt.

My experience is that, as long as I have adequate head insulation to replace the sleeping bag's hood, I've been absolutely comfortable in top quilts down to single digits. My winter setup is a JRB Hood and Mt Washington 4 used as top quilt.

I think a Big Agnes would work well as a top quilt...I'd consider cutting out the back so there's just a footbox and a hood if it's gonna be a full-time hammock kit.

Just Jeff
09-12-2009, 10:18
Ah - I see by your next post that you understand more about top quilts than I assumed...sorry about that.

Short answer - if your quilt is wide enough there's no problem with air gaps. Unlike on the ground, the hammock does a pretty good job of sealing your top quilt against you and the bottom insulation.

Hogg Tyed
09-13-2009, 08:24
I use a BA as a top quilt. Draped over me like a quilt. Only time you get a draft is when you toss it off you.

Hogg Tyed
09-13-2009, 08:25
If you do modify your BA bag by cutting the back off and removing the zipper, how much weight and bulk does it drop?

sir_n0thing
09-13-2009, 08:57
I took my BA bag out to the hammock last night (hammock stand on the back deck) and watched a movie on the iPod. Seemed to work fine. As the temps started dropping I was getting pretty chilly, so I threw an REI LiteCore 1.5 pad into the sleeve and tried that out as an alternative to stringing up the underquilt. I was just intending on "trying it out" while reading a book for awhile... well, it worked and kept me warm. I ended up falling asleep until about 4:00 am when nature called and I went back into the house. :)

n0thing

Just Jeff
09-13-2009, 09:01
If you do modify your BA bag by cutting the back off and removing the zipper, how much weight and bulk does it drop?

You'd be cutting off two layers of ripstop, probably 5'x2', which is just over a square yard. Assuming 1.9oz material is used, you'd save a little over 4 oz.

The bulk would be about as much as a poncho.

oldgringo
09-13-2009, 09:51
I wanted to use a bag in my hammock. I wanted the utility of a sleep system that could be used anywhere, not just in a hammock

One of the features of BA that sold me was the dimensional stability that the pad/pocket gives the bag. It's very easy to get in and out...no wrestling match with my bag.

Before I took scissors to the BA, I would consider selling it, and buying a TQ.

Another point: I believe I would find the BA a bit narrow for use as a TQ, but I'm a large guy.

sir_n0thing
09-13-2009, 10:20
One of the features of BA that sold me was the dimensional stability that the pad/pocket gives the bag. It's very easy to get in and out...no wrestling match with my bag.

I like that as well, as my daughter is not yet converted to hammock camping, so we still tent it when I take her along. For now. I think by next summer she'll be in a Hennessy Scout. ;)

And I agree, last night getting into the BA w/pad inside the hammock was a snap, no wrestling at all.

inspectorguy
12-30-2010, 10:15
Diggin up an old thread...

BUT, I have just got a BA bag with an inflatable pad for Christmas, and I am finding it so far as the best system for ME.

I have a homemade 2 layer hammock that I have custom cut a large sheet of CCF to fit under me perfectly. I then put a 4# down bag over me as a quilt. I was OK into the 20's but my butt was still cold most of the time.

I have since removed the foam pad, halfway inflated my BA pad and inserted it into the pocket on the bag [Down BA rated at 15 degrees].

I then put a windshield aluminized thingy in between the layers to line up with my shoulders/butt/elbows. I lay open the bag unzipped [left hand zip] and then just pull up and tuck the zippered side without trying to zip it up. I am a back sleeper in the hammock.

Haven't stayed out all night yet, but have taken a few naps in 20-30 degree temps and it works great so far. Plus the inflated pad does away with the uncomfortable fabric crease under my right knee.

Roundtrip
12-30-2010, 10:58
I've used my BA Lost Ranger about a half a dozen nights now and I think it works great. I use a 3 Season Incubator as a UQ and when the weather is in the 40sF, I use the bag as a top quilt with no issues. In the 40's I find I have to be careful no to wear too many clothes as I overheat.

When it gets cold I find that if I crawl inside (not difficult) I then get the benefit of the hood and the neck draft collar and my shoulders stay perfectly covered.

Just my experience but I have ruled out needing a quilt as my BA works very well and I can go to ground with my Insulated Aircore pad if I need to.

-jeff

kayak karl
12-30-2010, 11:33
i took my big angus 40 degree bag, cut the envelope off it (all but last 18" for foot box and removed all zippers. works great and is 15 oz.:D

Danalex
12-30-2010, 18:09
I tried getting into my BA bag last night without the pad.

Houdini would have had a hard time :scared:

I just tried it now by getting 90% into the bag standing up and leaving my left arm loose.

Worked very well and with a bit of practice will be really easy.

I like it better than a TQ so far, the coverage between the UQ and the side of the bag are good and because of bad joints I can squirm around all I need with no cold spots.

Makes me wonder about how a Wall Creeper would do.

Hector
01-13-2011, 11:07
You can use the BA as a top quilt by unzipping it and pushing the bottom to one side. This still forms a "footbox" down low to keep your feet under the insulation, and the bag can be used as usual on the ground later, or with a pad to supplement an underquilt in a hammock. With a pad in it, just treat it like a bed -- unzip, throw top out of the way, lay on the pad, pull top over you, zip as desired. Don't try to zip it up without a pad in it, unless you enjoy pushing chains.