PDA

View Full Version : Primaloft Infinity or Climashield Apex?

Tenshi
02-25-2015, 22:00
I'm about to start making my first underquilt and have decided to go with synthetic insulation. After doing a bit of searching, I'm torn between Climashield Apex and Primaloft Infinity so I thought I'd see if any of you guys have more information on these two. Which is more compressible? Which is lighter? Which has the best warmth to weight ratio? Any info would help. I couldn't find a lot of info online.

ksbcrocks
02-25-2015, 22:04
Primaloft generally has to be quilted while climashield can just be sewn around the perimeter. I believe all else is pretty negligible in comparison. There's a few threads on this forum that have discussed the differences in a lot of detail.

sargevining
02-26-2015, 07:52
Yah. For and easier job with fewer steps to completion, Climashield is the choice. Kind of frustrating to get to the point where everything is sewn up and it looks like a quilt, but you still got some time to go quilting the dangting before its really finished.

Tenshi
02-26-2015, 14:19
Primaloft generally has to be quilted while climashield can just be sewn around the perimeter. I believe all else is pretty negligible in comparison. There's a few threads on this forum that have discussed the differences in a lot of detail. From what I understand, Primaloft Infinity is their entry into the continuous filament market so it's in a sheet like Climashield. It may just be that it is so new that there's not a lot of info on it yet.

Tenshi
02-26-2015, 14:20
Making an underquilt with Climashield, what kind of temperature range can I expect? How thick is it?

The Old Boot
02-26-2015, 14:49
Making an underquilt with Climashield, what kind of temperature range can I expect? How thick is it?

Which Climashield are you planning on using - it comes in different weights?

I used the 5.0 for both my UQ & TQ and went to about 30F with it. I had light thermals plus my microfleece thermals, a microfleece hoodie, MaxHeat socks, a fleece liner inside the TQ and a silnylon UQP to block airflow. The UQP collected quite a bit of condensation that night.

This wasn't a deliberate attempt at temp testing, the weatherman lied...:scared:

I try not to take the 5.0 below 40 normally but now know that I can if I have to.

sargevining
02-26-2015, 14:50
I'll second the 30F result as well as the methodology in testing------

sydneywizard
03-02-2015, 16:15

I used the 5.0 for both my UQ & TQ and went to about 30F with it. I had light thermals plus my microfleece thermals, a microfleece hoodie, MaxHeat socks, a fleece liner inside the TQ and a silnylon UQP to block airflow. The UQP collected quite a bit of condensation that night.

Is that a single layer 5.0?

Tenshi
03-23-2015, 16:49
Anyone used the Primaloft Infinity yet?

Tenshi
03-23-2015, 16:50

This wasn't a deliberate attempt at temp testing, the weatherman lied...:scared:

I try not to take the 5.0 below 40 normally but now know that I can if I have to.

Thanks, that helps me out a lot with temp expectations.

Ratdog
03-23-2015, 17:13
Climashield Apex comes in several weights. I have used the Apex 6 (6oz/sq yd) and had it well below 30 and was comfortable.

Apex 7.5 is now out for an even lower temp rating.

Wkerber
03-23-2015, 18:25
The first references that I can find on Primaloft Infinity goes back to 2008. It looks like The North Face used it in some of their sleeping bags, but I didn't find much more than that (didn't look real hard though). I'm thinking it wasn't as good or maybe no better than Climashield and Climashield was already established. That's all conjecture, though.

JasonByers
03-29-2015, 09:57
My first ever sewing project was a quilt using climashied. Very easy! I have a top and underquilt using 2.5 and is very comfortable down to 50 just to give you another warmth to weight idea.

daneaustin3
03-29-2015, 14:57
I just finished 2 uq and a tq from cs apex 5. Easier than some of the hammocks we made.

Tenshi
04-01-2015, 04:11
The first references that I can find on Primaloft Infinity goes back to 2008. It looks like The North Face used it in some of their sleeping bags, but I didn't find much more than that (didn't look real hard though). I'm thinking it wasn't as good or maybe no better than Climashield and Climashield was already established. That's all conjecture, though.

Seems that's been my experience as well, just passing reference to it with no hard numbers. I think I'll go with Climashield Apex, enough people have extensive experience with it that I can be fairly confident in expected performance. Thanks for the help everyone.