PDA

View Full Version : Winter Weather Test Tonight!

EdLee
02-28-2015, 23:11
It is supposed to be in the teens tonight, with snow starting around 4am, changing to sleet and freezing rain later in the morning. I setup my DangerBird and Winter Dream up in my backyard on my new Hammeck stand. I am going to test out my new Zero degree Zeppelin and Flight Jacket. I set everything up around 4pm today and layed down. I woke up at around 6:30, and didn't realize I had fallen asleep! I will report back on how I felt during the night. I am pretty sure I am going to be toasty!

Peace,

Ed

Cave Man
02-28-2015, 23:27
Thank you for you sacrifice ,I am most interested in that "Zeppelin" .I am waiting on a renegade but I am sure that Flight Jacket is quite something it self.
I am heading for that Zeppelin myself...

EdLee
03-01-2015, 13:43
The low last night was 14. I slept great! I need to dial in the zeppelin a little bit, but I was comfortable all night. UGQ rocks!

Doubletime
03-01-2015, 14:42
Nothing like gear that works

bkrgi
03-01-2015, 15:18
The Dialing in never stops..haha
That would be a easy night for the zero degree.....toasty warmth.
Come the fall my plan is to get a 0* TQ and UQ plus a 20* TQ from UGQ
I find the 20* Zeppelin is just that, 20* for me, with 25* being the low comfort zone and adding clothing (from just a base layer) progressively as temps drop from there is what I must do. With a max low so far of 17* and I was bundle in a winter jacket/clothing and was toasty(though a hot water bottle would have been nice). A 0* set would be nirvana....till the early morning call of nature started yelling...haha

Enjoy the luxury of your UGQ quilts and keep testing away!!!!!

Cave Man
03-01-2015, 18:23
I always have layers on ,have to get up to use the b-room so I have stuff on. Does any one sleep in just under shorts in 10* or 20 * ?
Are you saying that the 20* UQ just makes it to 25* ?

bkrgi
03-01-2015, 19:10
Are you saying that the 20* UQ just makes it to 25* ?

Well truly it is never that simple ..with just a simple base layer of clothing on...Yes 25*(For me).... Colder and I must add clothing to keep the true comfort going.....like I said have had it down to 17* and been perfectly comfy with a winter jacket and pants over my base layer. At 32* I am snug as a bug with just light thermals on...and a hat always.
I do like to just sleep in a base layer to allow my warmth to soak into the down and further to that on doing some reading on dressing for cold is to put the heavy insulation next to the body and go lighter as you layer so that the outer layer is just a wind breaker or in this case a UQP should you use one. (Have used this strategy for motorcycling in cold (30's) and it really works better)
http://windowoutdoors.com/WindowOutdoors/Staying%20Warm%20-%20Interesting%20Observations%20on%20Heat%20Loss.h tm
check figure 3

So many factors affect warmth especially when pushing gear to its limits
Further reading http://windowoutdoors.com/WindowOutdoors/Window%20Outdoors.htm

One thing, nothing is static ..ideas thoughts conditions gear. All we can do is pick through the info and test test test to see what works individually.

gunner76
03-01-2015, 19:35
I find the 20* Zeppelin is just that,

Is it a 3/4, 7/8 or FL ?

I have a 20 degree 7/8 Zeppelin with 2 oz of overstuff. Have used it to 9 degrees ( along with a 0 degree RevX TQ ) and felt I could have taken it down at least another 10+ degrees and I am very sensitive to the cold as I am blood thinners. I was wearing ankle socks, blue jeans and a long sleeve cotton shirt with a wicking
T-shirt under that.

I normally like to sleep with as little on as possible but when it gets colder I wear more to bed so if and or when I have to get up to answers natures call, I don't freeze while trying to get dressed.

I have used pocket warmers in the past stuck in my pants pockets as I found that way I don't get burnt by the hand warmers and the warmth is strategically located to help add warmth to my legs.

Alway interesting how folks beat the cold.

Cave Man
03-01-2015, 19:44
I sleep in base layer and keep a light down jacket in the quilt with me and if I get out of the quilt I put the down jacket on, do what I have to do, and when I warm up under the quilt again I take it off. I always ware a hat .I am guessing it is all on the person cos I can take a 20* bag down to single numbers and no problem.But if I get out with out my down jacket I get the chills and forget about it I am shaking for a while.

I never thought about other people how they handle the temps...I am also wondering if anyone uses there 20* quilt down to low temps or if it is just me...

Cave Man
03-01-2015, 19:47
Is it a 3/4, 7/8 or FL ?

I have a 20 degree 7/8 Zeppelin with 2 oz of overstuff. Have used it to 9 degrees ( along with a 0 degree RevX TQ ) and felt I could have taken it down at least another 10+ degrees and I am very sensitive to the cold as I am blood thinners. I was wearing ankle socks, blue jeans and a long sleeve cotton shirt with a wicking
T-shirt under that.

I normally like to sleep with as little on as possible but when it gets colder I wear more to bed so if and or when I have to get up to answers natures call, I don't freeze while trying to get dressed.

I have used pocket warmers in the past stuck in my pants pockets as I found that way I don't get burnt by the hand warmers and the warmth is strategically located to help add warmth to my legs.

We just said the same thing kinda at almost same time ....But yea I wonder ?

Cave Man
03-01-2015, 19:54
The other end also if I am sleeping in summer in the mountains I will bring my 20* bag and if it is warm I just lay a part of it on me, if it drops to 40 * I cover . I just got a 40* quilt for the firs time so I am going to try this in the mountains and see how it goes.

bkrgi
03-01-2015, 20:26
Is it a 3/4, 7/8 or FL ?

T-shirt under that.

It is a FL with 2oz over but consider I do not have much body mass just under 6' tall and a 140lbs wet...hahaha ...so not sure how that plays into BTU output. :lol:
The lowest I would want to go is 14* but below 25* I would prefer the 0* UGQ UQ then no worries to 0* at least then stacking the 20* likely comes into play somewhere below that for me.

Yes it is ALWAYS interesting how far gear can be pushed....LOVE to see more complete examples of and hopefully the OP can push the limits and keep posting his experience here:thumbup:

EdLee
03-28-2015, 23:42
I am out in it again tonight. The low is expected to be 17. I am SO warm right now! These UGQ quilts are really something. I am so grateful to this site for all the tips and knowledge. I believe I have an excellent winter /early spring /fall setup. Even though I am just in the back yard tonight, I feel far away from the hectic pace we set for ourselves. This is just what I needed.