PDA

View Full Version : Bottom entry organization...How>

tdaward
03-01-2015, 14:42
I've got a Hennesy Explorer 2.5, I've spent 5 nights in it and really like it, except for getting in it and set up for slumber. When you sit down, everything comes to the low point (pillow, jacket sleeping bag)....not a big issue but would like to know how people organize themselves to get in. I've gotten better at getting my insulation under my legs and into my quilt, it's just the rest I have issues with

BillyBob58
03-01-2015, 15:13
Consider sewing loops on various items or bags containing those items, and attaching shock cord or nylon cord to the RL loops on each end of you RL inside the hammock. And of course, there is the RL organizer and you can always add more or bigger organizers. Plus, just hanging some things that have hooks or Velcro loops from the RL itself.

punkisdead
03-01-2015, 15:16
I don't tend to have too much issue with things moving when I get in/out except for my pillow. My sleeping bag generally stays in place, and everything else, like my jacket/boots go in a DIY gear hammock based off this http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPackCoverGearHammock.html

I still have some material left to try to make a peak bag for things like my jacket/sweatshirt to stash in.

oldpappy
03-01-2015, 16:15
I use the smaller UL Backpacker and over the years have learned to minimize the stuff in the hammock to a pad, sleeping bag and pillow. Jacket/clothing ect can go in a stuff sack (or backpack) that you hang from the ridgeline (and out the bottom if you like). Shoes go over the ridgeline and out the bottom.
The Key is laying the sleeping bag out so you sit right were your butt needs to end up - the foot end off to the foot pull-out side.
I started out with shock cord on my pillow to keep it connected to the ridge line (this worked) - but after a couple years I started just putting it in the SB where I could locate it.
I keep a couple small key chain biners on my ridgeline to hook stuff sack/backpack to.

tdaward
03-01-2015, 20:46
Thanks for the help! Doesn't sound like I'm too far off, I don't take anything but what I need in the hammock but what I sleep with. I'll try hanging my pillow (down jacket in a stuff sack) on the RL before I enter. I use a quilt, getting in it isn't a big deal. Getting the insulation under me is still a struggle, just need practice.....

Jeff Kindy
03-03-2015, 17:46
I would set everything up, open my bag, set the pad. Then instead of sitting backward, I would kneel on the bag and lay down face first. Then roll over and gather the bag around me. This kept everything pretty close on where it need to be.

skater
03-03-2015, 18:08
Excellent thread! There's at least 3 good ideas I'm taking from here and trying out.

oldpappy
03-04-2015, 08:17
I use the smaller UL Backpacker and over the years have learned to minimize the stuff in the hammock to a pad, sleeping bag and pillow. Jacket/clothing ect can go in a stuff sack (or backpack) that you hang from the ridgeline (and out the bottom if you like). Shoes go over the ridgeline and out the bottom.
The Key is laying the sleeping bag out so you sit right were your butt needs to end up - the foot end off to the foot pull-out side.
I started out with shock cord on my pillow to keep it connected to the ridge line (this worked) - but after a couple years I started just putting it in the SB where I could locate it.
I keep a couple small key chain biners on my ridgeline to hook stuff sack/backpack to.
So I sit as far in as I can get (facing the foot end), pull feet in and remove/hang shoes, put feet into SB, situate top of SB because it has moved toward my behind, lay back, cover up/zip as needed. If further adjustments are required - arch back to adjust the middle/feet or sit up to adjust top half.
An alternate I'll use in cold weather (to cinch up the sleeping bag/hood) is to get into the mummy bag while standing on a ground cloth facing the foot end then just sit back and pull the feet in. Feet need to be at the very bottom of the SB (need to hold SB up). Bag is zipped up just enough to allow arms to be out, but SB neck/hood are in the right place and lightly cinched up.