PDA

View Full Version : Need some advise on a first purchase

Rubberdown
03-01-2015, 22:47
Howdy folks. So I have recently started backpacking as a change from base camping, and borrowed my friends eno single nest. I didn't really enjoy the experience as I was folded in half and probably improperly hung the thing. Also it got down to 35 and I my feet and back were freezing. That being said, i have seen the weight advantage of the hammock setup and want to invest in a lightweight setup that serves as my only mode of shelter for sleep. I guess that means a rainfly and bugnet. It needs to be underquilt ready, but that won't be purchased at this point in time. I guess my budget is 300 bucks. I done have to spend that but I am willing to so I can buy once and cry once. I read a lot of the other folks questions and it seems I need to state that I am 6 foot and 160 pounds. I probably will never camp below 20 degrees as it isn't below 30 degrees much in Houston. Thank you all for your advisement.

ksbcrocks
03-01-2015, 23:15
The things you'll probably want to invest the most in is insulation and a tarp. If you have a sleeping bag and a pad you can use that in the hammock to stay warm until you get an under quilt. I'd highly recommend getting an underquilt soon though.

Since you're 6 feet tall, you're probably going to want an 11 foot hammock. A simple gathered end hammock like the ones dutchwaregear.com offers are a good choice. That along with some tree straps, amsteel for some Diy whoopie slings, zing it for a structural ridgeline, and a Fronkey style bug net will get you up in the air comfortably for around $100 or less.

For a rainfly you can't go wrong with any of the cottage vendors here. Just depends on which tarp has the features you like and the coverage you want. The Warbonnet Superfly is a popular tarp for people that want one tarp to do it all, but that extra coverage comes at a small weight penalty.

DIY is another option (That's what I've done for all my gear except for my HG Phoenix 20) and it'll save you some money and is a lot of fun.

Rolloff
03-01-2015, 23:41
Sound advice. Spend a couple hundred on Hammock, suspension, tarp, bling, then use a pad with whatever bag you already have. Save the other hundred until you can invest in a good UQ. That in itself will open up an entire different level of warmth and comfort.

Dutch is hard to beat for prices and customer service and has quickly become one of HF's premier "One stop shop n hang".

I'm not sure anyone can consistantly get your order to you any faster either. He's become a legend at that as much as he has for his products.

*this hiker is in no way connected with Dutchware and does not receive gratuity or payment for above comments.

**even though this hiker no doubt would indeed :sneaky:

jimyjam
03-01-2015, 23:46
Check out the ENO One Link System. It has doublenest hammock, atlas straps, bugnet, rain fly (choice between 3) and stakes all for around $200-220. You can mess around with the setup and figure out the insulation you'd like or will work for your needs.
I personally don't use under and top quilts. I use a Sierra Designs 800 fill Dridown backcountry bed and sleeping pad for the versatility. With this setup I can go to ground if ever needed. It is really a personal choice that's why I'd really do some experimenting before investing the money!
The Warbonnet Superfly tarp is awesome as well! Happy hunting!

daneaustin3
03-01-2015, 23:53
I second checking out Dutch. The Eno if I recall is only 9.5 ft and may be uncomfortable for you.

Rolloff
03-01-2015, 23:59
Not going to spend anymore time throwing mud at Eno, but you could have bought one of those systems without ever coming here to HF.

Keep reading. I guarantee you we will send you home with something much better, and handmade in the USA.

cataraftgirl
03-02-2015, 00:00
I would strongly advise against getting anything from ENO. Their hammocks, while fine for shorter people, will not be comfortable for anyone who's 6 feet tall. All of their hammocks are under 9.5 feet long, which is very short for a hammock. You have already experienced the discomfort in an ENO. Get an 11 ft. hammock from Dutchware, WL, Dream Hammock, SLD, etc. They all carry quality 11 ft. hammocks in varying widths and materials for great prices. You can pick up your suspension from any of these vendors. I have two WL tarps and love them. WB Superfly & WL Tadpole are two tarps that many folks have & love. AHE has the Jarbidge UQ for $100 that will get you started in great shape. You can get a quality set-up, including an UQ for close to $300. You can also keep an eagle eye on the For sale Forum and pick up used gear for even less.

Shug
03-02-2015, 00:08
Use your sleeping bag and pad until you get all things dailed in and see how it goes.
Enjoy the hammock quest.
Carry forth.
Shug

http://youtu.be/3Grh7SXUIJU

http://youtu.be/yFWs6UH7C74

sargevining
03-02-2015, 00:16
The advice about going to Dutch for a hammock is good.

With your $300 budget, you should be able to get a very good set up for the Gulf Coast climate.

For bug protection I'd recommend either a Butt In A Sling Buginator
http://www.buttinasling.com/buginator.html

or a HUG from AHE:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/c5/HUG_Bug_Net.html

You should be somewhere around $150 after that.

Next, look at a Hennessy Hex tarp, either the 70D poly:

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/products/hex_rainfly_70d_polyester/

or the 30D sil nylon:

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/products/monsoon_rainfly_30d_silnylon/

Depending on how much weight is of a concern. Other excellent choices are the Toxaway

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p301/Toxaway_Tarp.html

or one of the Hanger tarps from UGQ:

http://undergroundquilts.com/tarps/default.html

You're at around $250 there. Add another $50 to the kitty and get a Jarbridge Underquilt:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p312/Jarbidge_River_UnderQuilt.html

or add a $100 to the kitty and get a New River:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p310/New_River_Regular_UnderQuilt.html

And you'll be ready for most of what Coastal Texas can throw at you.

jimyjam
03-02-2015, 00:20
I guess people have opinions about ENO! My testimony is....I got an ENO doublenest hammock, atlas straps and bug net a couple years ago for Christmas. I am 6 foot and am quite comfortable in it. I've never used any other hammock so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I'm definitely not unhappy with it! My nephew is 6'2" and finds it comfortable too...so much so he just ordered the one link system. But I would definitely suggest doing lots of research and read lots of reviews before making a decision. YouTube is a good place to look too...Everyone's experience is different! Happy Hunting!

Osulagh
03-02-2015, 00:35
To add to sargevining's list: Dutch makes and sells Fronkey Style bugnets while he carries a whole assortment of suspension options, and Warbonnet and Wildernesslogics also have their own line of tarps.

Jimyjam, ENO just have a bad rap for being newbie's first and not having the greatest deals. Although, there are some folks on the board who like their ENO stuff far more than the other, what most would call "better", stuff. I will say that the 9'6" of ENO and similarly fashioned hammocks isn't uncomfortable for anyone, but certainly not as comfortable as a 11+' hammock could be for some. See if you've got any local hangs in your area, or if you're fancying another hammock get a longer one to see how it feels. You might be surprised which way you prefer to swing.

Sfyre
03-02-2015, 03:14
I would just like to add that when it does come time to buy an UQ, don't go longer than you need. You'll never use those extra inches and it'll be permanent extra weight you'll be carrying. I bought a UQ from HG long and i'm 5'11'', I actually think I should have done a short instead, but regular at max. just my .02

hutzelbein
03-02-2015, 04:40
That being said, i have seen the weight advantage of the hammock setup and want to invest in a lightweight setup that serves as my only mode of shelter for sleep.

Quite honestly, it is easier to go lightweight with a ground set-up than with a hammock set-up. Since you already tried sleeping in a hammock with little success, I would advise that you get or make a simple 11' hammock (Dutch's hammocks have been recommended already) before spending $300 on a complete set-up. Try to sleep in it with your pad and sleeping bag for a couple of nights before committing and buying a bug net, tarp etc. The only reason why I switched from tents to hammocks is comfort. If I would not be able to get 100% comfortable in a hammock, I would stick with tents.

jamaulwall
03-03-2015, 15:17
I guess people have opinions about ENO! My testimony is....I got an ENO doublenest hammock, atlas straps and bug net a couple years ago for Christmas. I am 6 foot and am quite comfortable in it. I've never used any other hammock so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I'm definitely not unhappy with it! My nephew is 6'2" and finds it comfortable too...so much so he just ordered the one link system. But I would definitely suggest doing lots of research and read lots of reviews before making a decision. YouTube is a good place to look too...Everyone's experience is different! Happy Hunting!

I'm 6'1" and started with an ENO doublenest. It obviously wasn't uncomfortable as it converted me to hanging. Having said that, when I got in my first 11' hammock the difference was noticable. I have much less shoulder squeeze and no calf ridge in my Dutch PolyD 11' hammock and it only cost me $38. My eno cost closer to $60 so in my opinion, not only can you save money by going with a different set up from eno, but you'll be more comfortable too. Not to mention, my PolyD hammock weighs less than half of what my ENO DN does... I think any hammock that gets you off the hard ground is worth it, but the point I believe most HF members are trying to get across is that your money is much better spent elsewhere.