PDA

View Full Version : AZ > Highline trail, May/June

Anthony1987
03-03-2015, 07:55
well since my last trip wasnt great and pack didnt even make it out of the car. I am planing on another trip Deps on some factors. Looking to go to the Hatchery Trailhead and jump onto the Highling trail to derrick trail down to derrick spur trail. to horton creek trail and back to highline trail just loop i seen looking at the highline trail map. and since it will be my first real backpacking trip have a little more planing to do.

Anthony1987
03-07-2015, 04:42
OK so I have a date I am going for May 6th 7th 8th. Two nights three days

ChrisB
03-22-2015, 12:26
Hi,

I'm new here and also live in AZ. Sort of new to AZ as well. (1 1/2 years) Is hammock camping a rare thing in this state? Also, do you have trouble finding spots?

May be interested in trying a group outing if people decide to join up.

Anthony1987
03-22-2015, 17:12
Hi,

I'm new here and also live in AZ. Sort of new to AZ as well. (1 1/2 years) Is hammock camping a rare thing in this state? Also, do you have trouble finding spots?

May be interested in trying a group outing if people decide to join up.

I'm nee to backpacking so I don't know about rare lol. I have car camped with a hammock in Heber area I know some nice trails that people have told me about

clean
03-31-2015, 21:52
I might join in!

What is the approximate mileage?

Anthony1987
03-31-2015, 22:07
I might join in!

What is the approximate mileage?

10 maybe just a short Loop. Haven't been hiking with a full backpack so don't want to kill myself first time lol

clean
04-01-2015, 09:58
I didn't realize you were going midweek. I won't be able to join you but have a great trip!

brooklynkayak
05-05-2015, 16:06
[QUOTE=ChrisB;1431228] ... Is hammock camping a rare thing in this state? Also, do you have trouble finding spots?
[QUOTE]

I don't live in AZ, but hike there a lot. I have hiked the Highline Trail and there are good hanging trees.
You may have to spend more time finding places to hang, but people have thru-hike the Arizona Trail with hammocks and reported they almost always found trees to hang from.

You will usually have trees near water sources at lower elevations. Higher elevations like the Highline Trail are usually not a problem.

I was surprised that I even found some trees in the Ajo mountains in Organ Pipe Natl Monument. They are rare in locations like that.

Rex Clifton
05-05-2015, 16:30
I hiked the Highline Trail a few years ago and remember that what trees there were were pretty stunted. You may have to descend to find decent timber. I would bring a tent.

brooklynkayak
05-05-2015, 17:47
I will admit that I often don't hammock in AZ, and although it has been many years, I remember the Highline had clusters of trees every now and then in canyons. They may appear wimpy/thin, but they were strong, as most trees are in AZ.

It may not be as easy finding hanging trees in AZ, but be aware that most of the trees in AZ are much stronger than you find up north. Trees that look like they are too skinny to hang from are surprisingly strong.

There are trees that aren't so strong in areas of water, Cottonwood(Alamo) come to mind, but they are usually thick enough to hold a hammock.

brooklynkayak
05-05-2015, 18:01
A trail journal from an AZ trail thru-hiker and how she used her hammock:
http://ramblinghemlock.blogspot.com/p/arizona-trail.html

Ham Mocker
05-05-2015, 19:39
I've hiked the Horton Creek trail to the Arizona trail, etc.

That entire area is heavily forested. You will have zero problems hammock camping in that part of the Mogollon rim area (and probably the entire rim area).

Enjoy the trek!

kwpapke
07-09-2015, 11:59
OK so I have a date I am going for May 6th 7th 8th. Two nights three days
How did this go? Didn't see a trip report from you. I am thinking of hiking the Highline this weekend, and wondering how your hammocking conditions were.

I was intending to go to the Chiricahuas, but it looks like that area is supposed to get some serious rain this weekend, but the Highline area is supposed to stay relatively dry.

Kamper Kurt
07-09-2015, 12:14
I plan on hiking this trail for a few days in the fall or spring as well. Let us know how it went.

kwpapke
07-14-2015, 09:40
I plan on hiking this trail for a few days in the fall or spring as well. Let us know how it went.

I'll post more later - I may make a video about the trail. Bottom line: the section between the 260 TH and the Horton TH are great for hammocking:

kwpapke
07-15-2015, 12:14
Just posted a video of how to hike the Highline to the Trip Reports forum:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/112533-Video-AZ-gt-Highline-Trail