PDA

View Full Version : Epiphany!

JacobAllison
03-11-2015, 18:20
So I've gone camping twice in my BakPocket products hammock so far, and both times I set it up with a good curve at first, then tightened it up significantly because it just didn't feel 'right'. (The Adventurer's Hammock also has a zip top to stop cold drafts, and when angled properly I couldn't figure out how to zip it)

Last night I set it up in my apartment... and attacked a 6' ridgeline from some paracord. (This is a pretty small hammock. Only 8' from end to end.)

I laid down in it.. and all of a sudden it was. "Oh, dang! THIS is what they were talking about!":boggle:

I even got my underpad in at a good angle and very nearly fell asleep in it right there... Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and tips and diagrams all over the forums. I was starting to think maybe this just wasn't for me.

No photos of it set up in the apartment! But here's a photo along with my friends BIAS Weight Weenie. BIAS WW is on the left, I'm on the right.

My hammock and rain tarp are actually a dark hunter green but I messed the white balance up a bit.

MAD777
03-11-2015, 18:53
Congrats on the epiphany! ☺

olddog
03-11-2015, 19:08
Took my 4 yo diy fulltimer down a week ago. Tweeked and fiddled for a few days with another diy and then night before last it was nirvana. It's amazing how just inches on the suspension can be the difference between ' what the heck and OMG'.

Floridahanger
03-11-2015, 19:28
Now you have entered into "The Wonderful and Awesome World of AHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh!"

By the looks of the picture, you may want to lift the straps a little higher on the trees. You want the ridgeline (RL) to be loose enough to turn 90* or a little less while your laying in the hammock.

Now that you know that great feeling of finding the sweet spot in hang angle, check out different length hammocks to find the length that fits you best. It may be the current one, possibly a 12 footer or anything in between. Only you can feel what's right.

Send more pics of your hangs and views of Japan.

JacobAllison
03-11-2015, 19:56
Now you have entered into "The Wonderful and Awesome World of AHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh!"

By the looks of the picture, you may want to lift the straps a little higher on the trees. You want the ridgeline (RL) to be loose enough to turn 90* or a little less while your laying in the hammock.

Now that you know that great feeling of finding the sweet spot in hang angle, check out different length hammocks to find the length that fits you best. It may be the current one, possibly a 12 footer or anything in between. Only you can feel what's right.

Send more pics of your hangs and views of Japan.

Will do! I'm planning a set of overnight hikes when I go on leave at the end of the month, and I've ordered up new gear for it. =)

It's in my welcome thread, but here's the Google Docs Sheet with my current gear options. (The 'Need It Now' is the current working list.)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19G9tW_pil5h7rjWY62RSze4zeGEVI8orEj6TNftXsYE/edit?usp=sharing

JacobAllison
03-11-2015, 23:53
Ho boy...!

Just ordered up the JRB underquilt & Tarp... Trying to decide between that 40* UQ in the marketplace or a new 30* one from UGQ now... Aka.. there went that paycheck!

davidrip
03-16-2015, 09:50
and attacked a 6' ridgeline from some paracord.

I couldn't resist posting this picture. It's easier to see if you expand it / zoom in.

JacobAllison
03-16-2015, 10:20
Haha! Love it.