PDA

View Full Version : Newbie and confused! :s

Scruff
03-15-2015, 20:41
Hey guys! I am 110% new to hammocking and have no idea what so ever what to get or even what stuff i even need!
Im going to use it for hiking so the weight and size does matter but Im not over the top fussy. I also have this problem of having to have the best of everything, "buy once, buy the best" is usually what goes through my head when making a purchase.

Doing a bit of research it seems that Warbonnet seems to be one of the best hammock making companies? But what im so confused about is all the different models and numbers :scared:

Blackbird or blackbird XLC?
Muliticam non multicam?
single layer 1.1 or double layer 1.1?
single layer 1.7 or double layer 1.7?

Another question is what other equipment do i need other than the hammock itself?

I have no clue what any of this means or what I need and it would be greatly appreciated if someone could help a noob out :)

P.s. if it matters im roughly 5.9

PaPaZeus
03-15-2015, 20:55
Warbonnet is indeed a good choice. But so are all the other vendors here... I would really recommend shopping all of the vendors here for various hammocks.

I was able to craft a 2-3 lb setup for my buddy for about $200... Using various vendors gear.

You'll need a tarp. And insulation.. You can use a standard foam pad and sleeping pad to buy time before spending lots of money on under quilts and top quilts

ccolclou
03-15-2015, 21:04
Another option that might be good is to take a look at just a plain hammock - Dutchware is a good place to start, as it is very reasonably priced; you can also Warbonnet, Dream hammocks, Hammeck, Wilderness Logics, etc for their basic hammocks (I believe they all come with a suspension, whereas you add a suspension to Dutch's for extra, although it is still comparable in price). All of these basic hammocks would be high quality for hiking.
To get an idea of the merits of different fabrics and layers, several vendors have a chart - this one from Hammeck (http://www.hammeck.com/hammocks/breezy) should get you started (scroll to the bottom of the page).

Deathstar77
03-15-2015, 21:04
Go to YouTube and search for shugemery.

Rolloff
03-15-2015, 21:10
It would be good to know, just how you intend on using your kit.

Car camping?

Backpacking/Hiking?

What season, weather, temp range?

Budget?

All this infuences choice. The Warbonnet kit, is a great, if not legendary choice. If it doesn't work out for you, resale should be a cinch, even downunder.

Some serious distance and lighter weight hikers, prefer lighter gear from other sources. Starting out, you can go with BIAS, Dutchware, Dream hammocks, as well as several other HF cottage vendors, with entire hammock kits for much less than the top of the line XLC. I wanted only a WBBB and nothing else, out of the gate, that was the cadillac of the hammy world at that point in time.

I kept looking around, until I knew, Not what rig I wanted, but rather, What I wanted my hammock kit to do.

That saved me a lot of money and frustration. Keep asking questions, and finding answers that make sense to you. Most of us posted threads just like this one, in the beginning. It's part of the curve. When you've answered enough of those questions for yourself, your choice will really come into focus, and you'll just go ahead and place the order without having the urge to ask.

Keep researching and gathering data, until you reach that point.

What Else?
Suspensions. Most come with the hammock, others must be added at time of purchase.

Insulation. Top Quilts, Under Quilts, Pads.

Weather Protection. Tarp.

Cordage. For Tarp suspension and tie outs.

That should get your kit together w/o freezing you or getting drenched right out of the gate.

PaPaZeus
03-15-2015, 21:12
Edit..... Just reread and saw your best of everything comment..

The beauty of this place is there really is no "best" ... All the vendors put out amazing handmade gear. But being a narrow market they are all similar..

That said. If money is no object? There's a file here somewhere which I believe is a listing of all the various gear and its makers. Take your pick of the items listed there.

Top quilt = think sleeping bag. Down is "best"
Under quilt = think sleeping pad (under insulation) again down is "best"
Tarp + lines = any of the vendors have great options... Possibly cuben fiber could be deemed "best" by weight alone.
Though sil has its benefits as well....
Accessories? Dutch's titanium pieces. Titanium tent stakes? Ridgline organizer?

This can be as expensive or cheap as you want it to be. And its all a personal journey. Chances are you will be trying new hammock items in less than a year.... Its addicting [emoji14]. Welcome to the fold.

PaPaZeus
03-15-2015, 21:13
Fabrics and the 1.1s etc. Are the fabric the hammock is made of.. They determine the weight limits and "feel" of the hammock

Osulagh
03-15-2015, 21:38
While I believe in buying something that can last, hammocks are one of those items that sometimes don't mix well with people. I highly suggest you look into getting a Dutchware hammock (and suspension which can be used on most gathered-end hammocks) or make a tablecloth hammock (google it) to test if you prefer sleeping in them. From there, you can move into the bigger stuff and prepare to throw down $500 for a kit.

Also, weight matters a lot. You're at the height that nearly any hammock will be good for you, but a 10 footer will probably be the sweet spot. Weight matters so you can choose what strength of material you need. 1.0/1.1 ripstop is regarded as "throw-away", but double layer of it is a good balance between strength and dependability. 1.6/1.7/1.9 single layer is great for most people, and double layer is good for heavier people (or someone like me who is thru-hiking and wants reassurance). All this material adds up to the final weight of the hammock, so finding that proper match is vital to backpacking.

Shug
03-15-2015, 21:40
Read up here first.....http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
Research and read and re-read all you can. Get a simple hammock to start. Go step by step. Hammock clarity will come.
Carry forth.
Shug

Nodust
03-15-2015, 21:43
I would start with a simple hammock. DIY tablecloth, Dutch, or any other vendor that sells a gathered end without bugnet. Try that out see how you sleep in it. You can always upgrade from there. Get a good tarp, good insulation and you will have a setup that can work for most conditions.

Warbonnets are great. I don't know if I would call them the best. Best for me may not be for you.

JacobAllison
03-15-2015, 22:05
If you're looking for a quick way to compare hammock weights and sizes, the spreadsheet here has most of them listed. I built it because I was in the same position as you! Http://goo.gl/ofbMko

MississipVol
03-16-2015, 08:56
Hey guys! I am 110% new to hammocking and have no idea what so ever what to get or even what stuff i even need!
Im going to use it for hiking so the weight and size does matter but Im not over the top fussy. I also have this problem of having to have the best of everything, "buy once, buy the best" is usually what goes through my head when making a purchase.

Doing a bit of research it seems that Warbonnet seems to be one of the best hammock making companies? But what im so confused about is all the different models and numbers :scared:

Blackbird or blackbird XLC?
Muliticam non multicam?
single layer 1.1 or double layer 1.1?
single layer 1.7 or double layer 1.7?

Another question is what other equipment do i need other than the hammock itself?

I have no clue what any of this means or what I need and it would be greatly appreciated if someone could help a noob out :)

P.s. if it matters im roughly 5.9

Warbonnet is a great choice. It was my first choice and the hammock I still use. There are other great choices out there as well (as you've already seen in responses) but I don't think you can go wrong with a Warbonnet unless you are wanting to go ultra-lightweight.

If you are 5.9, you are roughly the same height as me. You will probably be fine in the regular Blackbird, however some people prefer the extra length in the XLC because it adds about an extra foot. Some people feel it helps them get a more comfortable, flat lay. But again, that is just preference and you should be fine with a regular one at that height.

Multicam - That's just a visual preference (whether you want a camo hammock or not)

single layer or double layer - I would go with the double unless you are worried about weight of your setup. A double is preferable in my eyes because #1 - it is much easier to use a pad with the double layer (pad goes in between the layers and doesn't slide around) # 2 - it keeps mosquitos or other creepy crawlies from biting you and #3 - that are more comfortable for a lot of people

1.1 or 1.7 - Your own weight here is the primary consideration. 1.1 is a lighter fabric but it also is going to stretch more. Depending on your weight, the 1.7 may be a lot more comfortable and durable as well. The folks at Warbonnet would be the best to ask about this.

The good thing about the Warbonnet Blackbird is that it comes with its own suspension. You may want to trade it out later for a lighter whoopie suspension but there is no need to right away. You only need a pair of carabiners or dutch hooks to hang it. There are videos right on the Warbonnet website.

Personally, I am not a DIY guy and can't sew and I think most newbies fit that category so don't feel overwhelmed by the recommendations that you should make your own. Warbonnet is a great place to start and, as someone already mentioned, you can always sell it for close to your purchase price if you ever want to go a different route. Then again, you may find that it is perfect for you.

Best of luck!!

Nickoli
03-16-2015, 18:18
single layer or double layer - I would go with the double unless you are worried about weight of your setup. A double is preferable in my eyes because #1 - it is much easier to use a pad with the double layer (pad goes in between the layers and doesn't slide around) # 2 - it keeps mosquitos or other creepy crawlies from biting you and #3 - that are more comfortable for a lot of people

I'll add that once I decided that I was going to use an underquilt instead of a pad, I actually cut out the double layer in my 1.7 because the weight savings were so great--about 9 ounces. So now I just use a 1.7 double layer, and am more than happy. A single layer of the 1.7 is thick enough to keep mosquitoes from biting like 99% of the time. I slept outside in Florida for 5 months in mine with zero issues.

Did you see this page? http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocking-101/

I got a WBBB 3 years ago in a trade, and have put hundreds and hundreds of days into it. I have since bought a mamjamba that got eaten by a lawnmower, a superfly, and a winter yeti. For backpacking this summer, I'm considering selling/gifting away my old blackbird and getting a simple traveller or dutch style gathered end with a separate lightweight bug net.

Scruff
03-17-2015, 04:17
Wow so many responses i dont think i can reply to them all!
Thankyou guys! :)

There seems to be allot more to hammocking than I originaly thought and i clearly need to learn alot :P

Look forward to spending a lot more time on the forums :)

DuctTape
03-17-2015, 06:17
Scruff, most of the learning comes from just hanging. Many get overwhelmed from all the choices and options and are worried they will pick wrong. Many of us who started in hammocks before all the new stuff was around did so on the cheap and we learned a lot. Plus it was so darn fun and comfortable even without the latest and greatest. I guess what I am saying is, one doesnt need to by a ferrari to find out if they even enjoy driving.

ShooTa
03-17-2015, 07:53
ill echo ductapes response - and add watching shugs videos on youtube
there are also a ton of other great youtubers , sintax77 fronkey proffessor hammock and many more.

Baby Huey
03-17-2015, 08:46
My main recommendation is to try to make it to one of the local hangs closest to your area. It is a great way to meet some fine people and put your eyes and hands (With Permission Of Course) on some of the gear that you may be thinking about investing in. My wife and I are still fairly new to hanging, but have garnered so much useful info at the Texas meetups and made a lot of like minded friends in the process.

TNStrider
03-18-2015, 22:08
Depending on your weight...either 1.1SL or 1.1DL would be perfect

Rob_3D
03-19-2015, 04:14
Wow so many responses i dont think i can reply to them all!
Thankyou guys! :)

There seems to be allot more to hammocking than I originaly thought and i clearly need to learn alot :P

Look forward to spending a lot more time on the forums :)

Yeahhh buddy! I am in the same boat, but as many other members have said research is key. This site along with many others have a wealth of information. I just bought my first hammock from dutchweargear, with tree slings and whoopie style suspension. To me it seemed like a logical starting point the ease of whoopies to adapt to different set ups, I also bought a ridgeline from dutch so I can get a consistent hang and find my sleeping sweet spot. (more experienced members please chime in if you feel I am wrong.) But as shug says there are really no rules to hammocking everyone has their own preference on what they like. But remember the basics
1. Hammock (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php/141-Camping-Hammocks) - Gathered end or a Warbonnet style, integrated bug net/ independent bug net.
2. Suspension (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php/86-Suspension-Systems-Ridgelines-amp-Bug-Nets) - There are many different styles
3. Insulation - Pads or Top quilts (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php/87-Top-Insulation)/ Underquilts (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php/88-Bottom-Insulation) (Pros pads are cheap and marginally effective. Cons not necessarily as comfy as quilts.)
4. Weather Protection (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php/89-Weather-Protection) - Keep the rain/weather away from you!

ShooTa
03-19-2015, 04:40
welcome scruff very sensible to get away from the ground in australia - that removes 50% chance of dying.... now all you have to watch out for is crocs who like tacos and any one of the 9999billion deadly spiders you have...
Happy hanging.

brohawk
03-23-2015, 05:05
Go to YouTube and search for shugemery.

Ditto....Watch them all. Shug will take alot of confusion out of hammocking and make you laugh in the process.
https://youtu.be/d7NZVqpBUV0