PDA

View Full Version : Blackbird XLC vs Thunderbird

Drum Man
03-18-2015, 20:17
Ok... So I have a regular sized blackbird and have been thinking about changing. I love the WBBB but am intrigued by some of these other options. I am curious what everyone thinks about both the WBBB XLC and the Thunderbird hammocks. I am 6'2" and around 255 lbs. I am personally okay with the double layer 1.7 setups. Any other suggestions?

gunner76
03-18-2015, 21:16
I have a plain old BB 1.7 double not the XLC but I do have and try a wide variety of different hammocks. My next two favorites are a simple gathered end DIY 1.1 DL Marpat Camo 64" wide that I have had for several years and a Hammeck Envy S DL that I got recently.

Try to make it to a group hang where you can check out a wide range of hammocks.

Ratdog
03-18-2015, 21:35
Stop by MAHHA and try 20 different types of hammock on for size.

I had the WBBB, have the XLC, and have tried a number of Dream Hammock setups. (along with many others)

Features is one difference worth of note, netting, shelf, tie out point location, etc.
Width and length are another. I happen to prefer a longer hammock. The Dream Hammocks are available in a wider width. (nice)

Fabric types/colors are a custom option with Warbonnet that need to be discussed with Brandon but he has done some. Dream Hammocks offers a veritable smorgasbord of options on the website. Feel free to call Randy directly with any questions.

I happen to be partial to my DIY hammocks the most and XLC next but I keep going back to Dream Hammocks and designing my own Thunderbird. Family will shoot me if I buy another hammock, but I keep going to the Dream Hammocks site anyway, like some Jedi mind trick, I am drawn to it. :laugh:

Regarding common features, like an over cover or removable bug net, I absolutely love the options. Handy under all sorts of circumstances. If I'm really worried about weight savings, I'll take my single layer DIY but most of the time it's the XLC because of the net or cover option. I also treat my hammock like a mini apartment so the shelf is handy.

Best thing to do, lay in an XLC and Thunderbird side by side. If you make it to MAHHA, we'll make that happen for you.

humer91
03-18-2015, 22:35
Hammocks are too personal and objective to give you a definitive answer.... With that said I switched from a DL XLC to Dream Hammock T-birds. I like the zipper system on the tbird better, i personally didn't like the "shelf" on the XLC and like the increased level of customization available from Dream Hammock. I have 2 tbirds now, # 1372 and # 1438 and love em both.

Yojimbo
03-19-2015, 06:38
As said above, both are excellent hammocks. It comes down to features. Some really like the foot box and shelf on the XZC. Some like the customability of the Dream Hammocks. I ended up with a DangerBird (the Thunderbird didn't exist yet and the BB didn't didn't have an overcover yet) I liked the dual zipper better. Some other newer items on the TB Im looking at are the peak shelf, cord hooks on side to better hold the UQ and the newer fabrics. The only downfall(?) for a Dream Hammock is the six week time frame.

hutzelbein
03-19-2015, 12:51
My go-to hammock is a 10' WBBB, but I also have an 11' DH. For me, the lay is very different; my guess is, that it is mainly the whipping. But the WB footbox adds to it. I get a much flatter lay in the BB - but it seems that I'm an exception. You'll have to try it to see which hammock fits your preferences better. The big advantage of DH is choice, while the BB has the footbox and shelf.

brohawk
03-22-2015, 16:02
Just sold my Blackbird XLC because I was not fond of the way the zipper started a 1/3 of the way down. Very cumbersome to unzip entire top when I wanted to go topless at camp. Otherwise very comfortable. I'm 6'2" @ 210lbs. After a lot of research I just ordered a Thunderbird from Papa Smurf order #1693. The top cover and bug net zip off and store with ease. Also I can't say enough about the customer service and quick responses to any question you may have, and the customizing options are endless and second to none. The hardest part is the waiting.