PDA

View Full Version : Video: Good hanging spot near Tucson, AZ

kwpapke
03-19-2015, 02:50
Made a little "How-to" video for a little-known backpacking spot very close to Tucson AZ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJoQYX_5-YQ

This is my go-to trail when I can't decide where else to go, or I just need a <24hr backpack. Scenic, reliable water, plenty of sturdy trees to hang a hammock. Pretty tough to beat.

Enjoy!

NM_Leo
03-19-2015, 09:57
looks fantastic. thank you for sharing.

Birch
03-19-2015, 19:09
Great video thanks for sharing never been there but Tucson is home for me. I haven't lived there since I graduated HS but my family and sister are there. I just get to visit every few years.

mrh_on
03-19-2015, 20:50
Thanks for sharing the video! It's still below freezing here so seeing the nice Arizona heat in a video made me feel warm again and brought back memories of my trip to the Grand Canyon.

kwpapke
03-20-2015, 07:01
looks fantastic. thank you for sharing.

My pleasure!

Great video thanks for sharing never been there but Tucson is home for me. I haven't lived there since I graduated HS but my family and sister are there. I just get to visit every few years.

Send me a PM the next time you are in town if you'd like to do a hike/hang.

Thanks for sharing the video! It's still below freezing here so seeing the nice Arizona heat in a video made me feel warm again and brought back memories of my trip to the Grand Canyon.

It is a great trail to train for the Grand Canyon. If you go all the way to the top, its the same vertical.

BillyBob58
03-20-2015, 14:55
That was a great video! I do love those Catalina Mtns, though actually I love AZ. I think the largest # of my favorite outdoors memories are in AZ.

SilvrSurfr
03-20-2015, 15:02
Thanks for sharing. I lived in Tuscon for a few years and really enjoyed hiking there.

Elvin
03-20-2015, 15:53
Thanks for sharing. Gonna have to add to my near-future hike list. I am in the Phoenix area. Would make a nice overnight trip worth the 2 hour drive from Phoenix.

kwpapke
03-21-2015, 06:31
That was a great video! I do love those Catalina Mtns, though actually I love AZ. I think the largest # of my favorite outdoors memories are in AZ.

Every time I travel around the state/country, when I return to Tucson I marvel at the magnificence of the Santa Catalinas.

Thanks for sharing. I lived in Tuscon for a few years and really enjoyed hiking there.

Lucky guy!

Thanks for sharing. Gonna have to add to my near-future hike list. I am in the Phoenix area. Would make a nice overnight trip worth the 2 hour drive from Phoenix.

They are easy to drive to from Phx - straight down I-10, exit Tangerine to Oracle, right to park entrance. OTOH, you have some good hanging closer to town: Superstitions, Mazatzals, etc.

Swizzlestick
03-21-2015, 08:34
Nice country! Thank you for bringing us along! I think the detail was great!

kwpapke
03-22-2015, 06:14
Nice country! Thank you for bringing us along! I think the detail was great!
Thanks! The details is kinda necessary because there's no signage on the trail.

dtp2c111
01-03-2016, 14:27
That looks like a great hike. I'm planning on doing a few 1 or 2 night hikes soon to get away from the cold in IL and maybe I'll let you know if you are interested in taking a hike and showing me and any other member around. What are the average high/low temps in March or April? Beautiful country.

kwpapke
01-03-2016, 20:58
That looks like a great hike. I'm planning on doing a few 1 or 2 night hikes soon to get away from the cold in IL and maybe I'll let you know if you are interested in taking a hike and showing me and any other member around. What are the average high/low temps in March or April? Beautiful country.

Temperatures: http://www.visittucson.org/about/weather/

Always looking for hiking partners. March & April are our most popular months for visitors from the North. Send me a PM when you know your travel dates and we'll see if we can connect.

Dusey
01-24-2016, 13:31
These videos are such a huge resource for those us looking to hang in AZ. Thank you!

Medical issues means if I do any camping in the next few months it'll just be car camping, but I'm hoping to hit some good hikes up north in the summer, and when it cools down again I totally need to hit all this great stuff in the valley.

Makowski
01-24-2016, 14:11
Love the video, Makes me miss AZ for sure.

kwpapke
01-25-2016, 07:45
These videos are such a huge resource for those us looking to hang in AZ. Thank you!

Medical issues means if I do any camping in the next few months it'll just be car camping, but I'm hoping to hit some good hikes up north in the summer, and when it cools down again I totally need to hit all this great stuff in the valley.
Hey, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Good luck with the medical stuff.

Love the video, Makes me miss AZ for sure.
Yep, I am lucky to live here!

Ron S
01-26-2016, 11:40
Wow, that's beautiful! Thanks for sharing this !!!

kwpapke
01-26-2016, 12:16
Wow, that's beautiful! Thanks for sharing this !!!
Glad you liked it. Not worth driving all the way down from Kansas for, but if you're in the neighborhood...

Ron S
01-26-2016, 12:46
I don't know, I've got a buddy in Phoenix and I'm afraid he'd have to "hang out" with me down there when I come to visit :cool:

rmagnus
01-28-2016, 23:38
Made a little "How-to" video for a little-known backpacking spot very close to Tucson AZ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJoQYX_5-YQ

This is my go-to trail when I can't decide where else to go, or I just need a <24hr backpack. Scenic, reliable water, plenty of sturdy trees to hang a hammock. Pretty tough to beat.

Enjoy!

I subbed your YT channel. Really liked the hikes you shared. I recently got an ULA Ohm 2.0 and really like it. Tucson has always been a special place to me. I recently got back into hammocking and want to do this Tucson hike. I'm lucky to have AZ back in my travels for work. Now I'll just have to schedule some Thursday/Friday morning business then hit the trail Friday afternoon for a couple over nighters.

kwpapke
01-29-2016, 07:37
I subbed your YT channel. Really liked the hikes you shared. I recently got an ULA Ohm 2.0 and really like it. Tucson has always been a special place to me. I recently got back into hammocking and want to do this Tucson hike. I'm lucky to have AZ back in my travels for work. Now I'll just have to schedule some Thursday/Friday morning business then hit the trail Friday afternoon for a couple over nighters.
Thanks for subscribing! Since you are traveling often to Tucson, check out the Aravaipa hike on my channel. It is arguably the best hike in Southern Arizona.

mojeb21
02-07-2016, 11:41
ill have to check that out one day

kwpapke
02-08-2016, 08:48
ill have to check that out one day
It's an easy drive from Phoenix. I am actually headed up there this afternoon, taking a good friend with me that has not backpacked in many decades. It's a great trail for noobs: the path is easy to follow, dependable water, good campsites.

AZsteelman
02-09-2016, 10:16
I just read this thread yesterday and subscribed to your channel as well. spent a little time last night watching a few of your videos and I can't wait to get down there and hike that trail in Tucson. I live in PHX and have never hiked the Superstitions - no reason, just haven't ever gotten over to that area. I'll be giving them a try this spring - looked like plenty of places to hang! Thanks for the tips and the videos!

hope to see you around!

Randy

kwpapke
02-10-2016, 09:47
I just read this thread yesterday and subscribed to your channel as well. spent a little time last night watching a few of your videos and I can't wait to get down there and hike that trail in Tucson. I live in PHX and have never hiked the Superstitions - no reason, just haven't ever gotten over to that area. I'll be giving them a try this spring - looked like plenty of places to hang! Thanks for the tips and the videos!

hope to see you around!

Randy
Glad you found them useful. I'm doing a new hike in the Supes next month, the Reavis waterfall, supposedly the highest falls in the range when the creek is running. If the conditions are right, I'll do a video of that hike.

Thanks for subscribing!!

--Kurt

caveat
12-27-2016, 17:10
I wanted to say thank you for this! While visiting my parents over the Christmas holiday, I was able to sneak away for the one day it wasn't raining and do a bit of hiking and hanging here. I got a late start due to how foggy it was earlier in the day, and only made it to the camp past the Romero Pools, but it worked out reasonably well as a hang site. Next time, I'd like to get up to the other sites you showed in the video!

kwpapke
12-28-2016, 07:01
I wanted to say thank you for this! While visiting my parents over the Christmas holiday, I was able to sneak away for the one day it wasn't raining and do a bit of hiking and hanging here. I got a late start due to how foggy it was earlier in the day, and only made it to the camp past the Romero Pools, but it worked out reasonably well as a hang site. Next time, I'd like to get up to the other sites you showed in the video!
Glad that worked out for you! I've never camped at that site just past the pools, doesn't look like more than one hammock could be hung there. Gettin' pretty chilly up there, there was snow at the upper sites a few days ago.

caveat
12-28-2016, 07:27
Glad that worked out for you! I've never camped at that site just past the pools, doesn't look like more than one hammock could be hung there. Gettin' pretty chilly up there, there was snow at the upper sites a few days ago.

No, I did wander around the rock formation there and there are a couple of other single trees scattered around it, but there's only one pair that's hangable. The brush around them made anchoring a large tarp a little tricky. If it hadn't ended up so windy, that wouldn't have been a big deal, but a few stakes did pull out in the night and I ended up with a little flapping in the breeze in the morning.

Barbi520
11-18-2017, 11:44
Thanks for the beautiful video. I am a Green Valley, Az home hanger. Enjoyed the video!

kwpapke
11-18-2017, 17:42
Thanks for the beautiful video. I am a Green Valley, Az home hanger. Enjoyed the video!

Thanks for the feedback! You should come to our Spring hang on Mt Lemmon, it would be a very short drive for you:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/142209-AZ-gt-Showers-Point-CG-gt-April-27-29-2018-Spring-Hang

--Kurt