PDA

View Full Version : weight limit on 1.9 oz rip stop for my diy hammock

Haszard4
03-22-2015, 17:40
Ok all you diy experts out there I need some advice. I have put together 2 hammocks for my children and I am starting on mine. For my son I made a 10 foot gathered end and my daughter's is 11ft out of 1.9 ripstop. She is almost 14 and her's should last her a while. My son will probably need a longer one in the future. He is growing like a weed and will be 6ft 2 plus by the time he stops. For both of their hammocks we used a channel and we made some whoppies and tree huggers from amsteel and webbing I ordered from Dutch.

Now. on to my Hammock. I'm 6 ft tall and my weight yo yo s between 240 and 270. I also sleep with my arms up when I'm on my back. Now my questions. Due to my weight should I double up with 2 layers of 1.9 ripstop?( I already have the material) or will on layer hold my weight? Should I whip the ends, rather than use a channel? Will 7/ 64 amsteel really hold me? ( sat in my daughters and it did hold but man that stuff looks thin.) And finnaly is an 11 ft or 12 ft better for me.

Now I understand that length is going to be personal preference but what length do some of you taller members use.

Also what type lines do you guys use for your structural ridge lines? I'm looking for light weight options for my kids particularly. If they have to carry to much weight, its not fun for them.

I really appreciate any advice

lilricky
03-22-2015, 18:04
As for fabric weight limits I generally refer to Dream-Hammocks chart, found here: http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html
As for 7/64 amsteel, no problem! I know, its hard to believe, but its as strong as 7/64 inch steel cable. As for a SRL, most use Lash-it or Zing-it, which is light and takes up almost no room. Its also hollow braid, so you could, if you're good at splicing, make it an adjustable ridgeline, which is handy if you are sharing a hammock with someone or are unsure exactly how long to make it.
Also, a 11 ft hammock should be more than enough room for you. I'm 6 ft and find my 10 foot hammock a bit restrictive, but my 11 foot hammock feels like I could stretch out another 6 inches.

Monkeyboy42
03-22-2015, 19:32
Amsteel is fine. Super strong minimal stretch. I'm 230 and use a 1.6oz hammock with no fear. 1.9 single layer should be fine.

For your height I'd go with an 11'. I'm 5'11 and found 10' too short.

Haszard4
03-23-2015, 14:33
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to whip the ends. I'm a little afraid of a sewn channel. Even if I roll it. I'll take your advice on the zing-it for the SRL.

daneaustin3
03-23-2015, 19:09
I've made 3 hammocks with 1.9 and sewn channel. I double roll it and see 3 lines in it. I'm 210 and haven't had any issues so far.

Bladerunner
03-23-2015, 19:15
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to whip the ends. I'm a little afraid of a sewn channel. Even if I roll it. I'll take your advice on the zing-it for the SRL.

im 300lbs and I can sleep in a SL 1.9 without much issue. check out dave xtrekker on youtube(hes also a member here) and look at how he attaches his suspension to his hammock. its what I use and what ive heard a lot of people use as well (in some way or another) you can use a piece of zing it or lash it for gathering the ends instead of the zip tie he uses (this is what ive seen on a few hammocks and what im moving to on my next one) good luck and post pics when youre done

Vid link-----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nU25t8Znx0

jaycooper
03-23-2015, 19:47
Thumbs up on 11 foot hammocks. I'm 6'1" and I have a ton of room in my diy 11 footer. Also, even though most people don't, I use amsteel for my SRL. I had some left over and didn't feel like ordering zing-it or lash-it.

Haszard4
03-24-2015, 19:36
im 300lbs and I can sleep in a SL 1.9 without much issue. check out dave xtrekker on youtube(hes also a member here) and look at how he attaches his suspension to his hammock. its what I use and what ive heard a lot of people use as well (in some way or another) you can use a piece of zing it or lash it for gathering the ends instead of the zip tie he uses (this is what ive seen on a few hammocks and what im moving to on my next one) good luck and post pics when youre done
-[/url]

Thanks I like it! Hopefully I can get some pics up when its all completed.

Im having trouble getting started