PDA

View Full Version : Whats in your spares/repair sack

ShooTa
03-23-2015, 05:45
am beginning to put together a spares/repair sack - thoughts?

spare tarp stakes
2x spare guyline (doubles as emergancy cordage)
1x 6ft treehugger
1x whoopie sling.
tarp glue/seam sealer
patches +thread.

edit - thanks guys very informative.
- yes fashioning stakes out of wood/sticks.
- using cordage to lengthen Ths - had not thought of that. (or actually just invest in some longer ones/ swap out as needed)
- ductape as universal repair till u make it home.

Dochartaigh
03-23-2015, 07:47
Sounds like a lot that can overlap in use. I carry a small roll of cuben fiber tape. That can double as a patch for pretty much anything (haven't tried it as a patch on an air mattress, but I use underquilts so that's a moot point right now).

I also carry 2x 12' lengths of Dynaglide. Those are normally used for porch mode on my tarp, but can also double as tree straps (in a pinch - when I have no other recourse since that would be bad for the tree), emergency cordage, and/or hammock suspension.

For spare tarp stakes, I've never camped where there wasn't trees within easy walking distance where I could easily fashion a stake from a fallen branch.

IRONFISH45
03-23-2015, 08:10
Not sure about your stakes.

One Tree Hugger of 6 ft.? Not much use most places I have hung. Either take two longer tree huggers or 2 spare short TH. Really frustrating when your TH does not go around the tree.

Thread, glue etc. I do not bother with. I carry a suture kit for humans, I have never needed to sew something non human on the trail. Duct Tape is my go to for all kinds of repair, even for sliver, cacti or thorn removal.

Small quantity of Duct Tape, great for many things. Tenacious tape is great if you have room for specialized tape. Duct Tape cleans off easy in the beginning, I sometimes use it and when home make a nicer/neater repair with proper materials.

Extra line I always have. I have a tiny ladies size multi-tool, I use the pliers a lot for fixing a variety of things.

Years ago I always had a cotton bandanna I wore on my head. I found many emergency uses for that scarf. Now my nice Buff gets called into action, although the cotton bandanna was a lot more versatility, it did not have the stretch my Buff's have.
Really creativity is the best "emergency" item.

Gadgetgeek
03-23-2015, 16:40
I carry some super glue, sewing stuff, and a few spare buckles and such. also zipties. very useful things those. My kit is a bit heavier than some as I'm more often leading a group, so I might need to fix someone else's gear, rather than slap some tape on my own. As for hammock specific spares, I don't carry all that much at all. But that being said, a lot of the things I might need, I could improvise, and anything else is a critical failure which I'm unlikely to be able to repair in the field.

Nickoli
03-23-2015, 16:48
Mine consists of super glue, duct tape, zip ties, a couple continous amsteel loops, and extra lash it. I won't bother with extra tree straps once I switch back from whoopies to the cinch buckle/webbing. I left a tree strap at camp once when I was using whoopies, and was extremely sad when I was on the ground the next night...

Regular thorough inspection of gear is key. Catching things before they fail catastrophically in the middle of a trip is my favorite.