PDA

View Full Version : HH clone, nearly finished.

NCPatrick
05-03-2007, 21:43
I just posted some pics of the hh clone I've been working on for my nephew's birthday present. I'm close to finishing, just need some minor touch-ups, and to attach some tie-outs.

I started with 3 yards of DWR from Ed Speer, Speer straps, small and medium spyderline, Quest outfitters noseeum, and some of Ed's velcro.

I'll be the first to admit that it was hard using velcro to attach the bugnet. Not hard to sew, just hard to get the measurements right, get everything to line up, etc. Probably NOT the way to go, but it worked.

lvleph
05-03-2007, 22:06
How many times did you roll that?

NCPatrick
05-04-2007, 06:40
I think it was 8 each side per end (about 1 - 1 1/2 inches each). Capiche? I tried 5 bigger rolls at first, but 8 smaller ones turned out to be more comfortable.

gstepclassical
05-04-2007, 06:56
Really nice looking hammock!!! I have yet to try a hammock but it looks like your skills are really progressing. Nothing like an old boat anchor Kenmore.

NCPatrick
05-04-2007, 07:13
Really nice looking hammock!!! I have yet to try a hammock but it looks like your skills are really progressing. Nothing like an old boat anchor Kenmore.

Thanks!

That's right, this Kenmore IS pretty solid. I'm not sure if they make them like that anymore. I think there's more iron and steel in it than there is in my car.

lvleph
05-04-2007, 07:58
It looks more like the HH from the inside than mine did and that is why I was asking how many rolls. Maybe I will try 8.

NCPatrick
05-04-2007, 08:04
I was going to try 11, but 8 just seemed to work right in. I think more rolls make it more comfortable (maybe makes it more flexible when it comes to shifting with your weight?).

Hooch
05-04-2007, 08:54
Patrick, that's a good looking peice of gear you've made. Congrats on it, well done. Ring buckle supports and everything. Impressive!

NCPatrick
05-04-2007, 09:02
Thanks Hooch for the kind words, I'm hoping my nephew will like it. I'm going to make a larger (10') one for my brother-in-law's birthday (with zippers instead of velcro), and then take the whole shebang to them when we visit them in July. It's good practice, anyway.

Hoping to make some converts to the hanging crowd...

I guess I'll either make some tarps for them, or make a 'Neo' tarp converted to a hex tarp if I run out of time or money.

Coffee
05-04-2007, 09:58
Looking good.

I had to try a lot of different ways of rolling it before I found what works for me. I don't know the exact number, but my rolls are about an inch wide.

Keep trying it's worth it.

headchange4u
05-06-2007, 17:39
Looks great Patrick. That's gonna be a nice gift.