PDA

View Full Version : dropped the head a bit

Bald Cypress
09-19-2009, 16:59
Well after two nights sleeping hammock style while on a river trip. Tonight I shall sleep in the wild back yard. Just trying a bit different set-up. Dropped he head another two inches or so and want to see how it works.

No better time to test than when you are 50 yards from your bed.

I also put on some different tarp tie downs for quicker set-up and adjustment. So far they have held in 10 mph wind. Time will tell if they work in a stronger breeze.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/rmax62/Clarksetup001.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/rmax62/Clarksetup003.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/rmax62/Clarksetup004.jpg

And here is a pic of the Sabine River as it should be seen

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/rmax62/018.jpg

JayS
09-19-2009, 17:23
Ahhh. Shreveport and the Sabine River! Fond memories. :D I had an aunt & uncle who lived in Shreveport when I was growing up. I believe they had a rope hammock in the backyard, too. My cousins were older and took us to the Sabine River a couple of times. To complete the circle, I was in the band in high school in Georgia with two kids named Shreve - it turns out their great great grandfather was the Captain Shreve who founded Shreveport.

Nice looking set up and good use of a workshed and a telephone pole! :laugh:

animalcontrol
09-19-2009, 17:30
No better time to test than when you are 50 yards from your bed.

You spoke the truth there!
The river looks amazing! Your a lucky man

Kankujoe
09-20-2009, 15:55
Thanks for posting the photos... looks like a beautiful area to explore.

Does the river or one of it's tributaries come up to your back yard?

Bald Cypress
09-21-2009, 09:13
Thanks for posting the photos... looks like a beautiful area to explore.

Does the river or one of it's tributaries come up to your back yard?

Nope, sorry to say, the Sabine crosses into LA. a few miles Southwest of Shreveport. The pic of the river was taken on a float trip a bit South of the Toledo Bend Resivour[sp].

The Bayou behind the house is off of Cross Lake here in S,Port.

P.S. For those who are not aware of the facts; the Sabine River is described as the deviding line between Coon A$$e$ and Smart A$$e$.
[On this side of the river at least] :lol:

ice man
09-21-2009, 09:34
That thing looks awful high off the ground, You use a ladder to get inta it?
And thats definitely not a factory tarp, is it? It jus don't look like my Clark NA.
So how does it feel with the head lowered? I just can't seem to get comfy in mine, and any tips are welcome.

TinaLouise
09-21-2009, 10:14
So how does it feel with the head lowered? I just can't seem to get comfy in mine, and any tips are welcome.

diffinately tie the foot end higher than the head end.
How many times have you set your hammock up, I've found that the more I set it up, the better I get at setting it up. That is until I have to set up on really unlevel ground where one tree is radically off level from the other tree. My brain says I've tied the foot higher:rolleyes: but when I lay in the hammock, I haven't and need to adjust the foot end up some.

If you've slept in yours overnight..... what kind of position did you find yourself in when you woke up? If you wake up and find your head is just about in the middle of the hammock instead of near the head end, then you're not tieing the foot end up high enough. If you're curling into a ball, you might not have enough insulation under you. What kind of problems are you having with comfort?

ice man
09-21-2009, 10:16
AAAAH, So!!
After looking real hard, I see that its one of those new-fangled Clarks with the spreader thingy that keeps it from being so confining. I guess the green tint on my arm isn't from the hammock, but maybe envy.

ice man
09-21-2009, 10:44
I haven't set it up that often. I jammed a pole in the ground in the back yard, and put a couple eye screws into the corner of the outhouse to hang it.(With ratcheting tie-downs) Then when it rained, I chickened out and moved it onto the garage, hung to the work benches. Trouble is, being 60 yrs old, I gotta get up to whiz a coupla times a night, get discouraged and just go in the house. I use a sheet of reflectix for a under pad. Woke up, maybe slid towards the foot end some? The problem seems to be that my knees are locked. Laying with left foot under right knee seem fairly comfy. I have taken several naps in the afternoon, tho. trying to get aclimated. The goal is to Take it up into the Bighorn Mts. on summer vacation and hike up Crazy Woman Crick. It rained too much out there this year, tho. The roads out there have a reputation for turning into gumbo muck when wet, so I stayed to the Black hills, as usual. Camping on a gold claim in my enclosed trailer for hauling the ATV. Hung the Clark out for a while but the Daily rainstorms chased me back in the trailer. Didn't want to hafta dry everything out.

TinaLouise
09-21-2009, 11:48
1- I haven't set it up that often.
2- Trouble is, being 60 yrs old, I gotta get up to whiz a coupla times a night,
3- Woke up, maybe slid towards the foot end some?
4- The problem seems to be that my knees are locked. Laying with left foot under right knee seem fairly comfy. .

1- practice, practice, practice!!!:D
2- your age has nothing to do with that, I'm a little younger than you, still gotta get up during the night (I've heard that even younger people have to get up too). I have found that if I eat enough food and I've drank enough during the day (sounds like that would make you need to get up more but it doesn't) and I've got my insulation right (I'm toasty warm) that I actually sleep all night and then wake up fairly early. If I'm cold at all, even a tenny tiny bit, I wake up and gotta go!!!
3- sliding towards the foot end, hang the foot end higher!!!
4- locked knees: turn your body from the waist down (so you're laying flat shoulders and up on one hip a little ways) and have your legs on their sides with either one or both knees bent instead of straight. Or try a bunched up jacket under your knees.

maybe other's will have suggestions for locked knees

Bald Cypress
09-21-2009, 12:05
The way it is set up there, I stayed in position all night. Woke up with my head right under the spreader bar, just as it was when I fell asleap.
Now all I have to do is remember where it was in relation to me when I put it up.

The pics may be a bit mis-leading. When I back up to get in, the side of the hammock hits just below my butt. When sitting down, my feet are about 3 inches off the ground and a small tilt lets me stand.

As far as the requirement for getting up in the night. I just turned 66 and used to be one of the get up and go types. Now:

THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL INDORSEMENT;

I take a Saw Palmetto every day and unless I drink a bunch of liquids within two hours prior to bed, I can sleep through the night.

P.S. I am not a quiet sleeper. I move around a lot during the night. Back side to side and even belly. Although not on the belly in the hammock. So far I have'nt had to worry about any insulation. Perhaps Sants will give me one of the CJH underquilts for Christmas.

ice man
09-21-2009, 13:24
I have the foot about 6inch higher than the head, and stretched fairly tight. Now that its getting cooler at night outside, I'll prob'ly give your suggestions a try. Thanks.