PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience hanging from Texas mountain cedar (juniper)?

tandl
04-05-2015, 01:54
We are planning a trip to Pedernales State Park, where the primitive campground is mostly low growing mountain cedar, the kind with the shaggy bark that you see all over the place in the hill country (according to the A&M website they are junipers). The stand there is mostly bushy habit: each tree has several trunks about 8-10 in diameter each, growing at 45 to 60 degree angles out from the base of the plant.

Anyone have any experience hanging from this type of tree? The angled trunks make me a bit nervous. All the trees looked healthy, and I didn't see a lot of deadfall in the underbrush, but they might have been cleared away, and the A&M site referred to them as "weak." We are planning on sleeping together in one hammock (a whole 'nother topic all by itself) and weigh 350ish pounds together. Hate to find out the hard way exactly what the Aggies mean about them being weak....

G Maurice
04-05-2015, 08:28
I've hung many times from a couple of differnt species of Juniper here in Arizona and Southern Utah. They seem plenty strong to me. I'm about #225. If you have to hang from a branch, attach as close to the trunk as possible and obviously as big a branch as possible. Hope this helps

FJRpilot
04-05-2015, 11:17
I've hung at Pedernales with no issues.....

tandl
04-05-2015, 11:26
Thanks everyone, mind now at ease!

UncleMJM
04-05-2015, 14:23
I've hung in the campsites at Pedernales and although I have not tried the primitive areas there, folks I know who have said they were able to hang.

swoody126
04-06-2015, 14:26
those trees sure have a lot of sap in them