PDA

View Full Version : What length hammock do I want/need???

William36
04-08-2015, 12:51
I seem convinced I am going to order a Simply Light Designs Single layer....

Question is what length should I get....they offer 9', 10', 11'.....

I am 5'8" tall....would like "enough" comfort/length to lay properly diagonally for good nights sleep...

What are the PROS and CONS of shorter and longer lengths....

Rolloff
04-08-2015, 13:09
I'd go with the 11'.

I'm a bit shorter and own hammocks of both lengths.(Not SLD)

SLD's when I looked at the Streamliner, it ran a little narrow for me in width, so I would have gone with the 11', at least in that model. 60" is about a narrow as I can go, and like a couple more inches in width, if I can get them.

Draw backs to be considered. Longer the hammock the less coverage with tarps built with 11' RLs. Slightly more weight, Some feel it reduces tree selection, although I've always used an 11' on the trail and cannot attest to this.

Pros. More comfortable due to more diagonal lay, and reduced calf ridge.

I sleep full time in a 10' x 60". It's way more comfortable than a bed for me, but I still can't wait to get out in the woods to use my 11 footer. It's just that much more comfortable.

eviscerate3
04-08-2015, 13:36
I seem convinced I am going to order a Simply Light Designs Single layer....

Question is what length should I get....they offer 9', 10', 11'.....

I am 5'8" tall....would like "enough" comfort/length to lay properly diagonally for good nights sleep...

What are the PROS and CONS of shorter and longer lengths....

I have never used a SLD hammock but have made my own from 9' all the way up to 13' just for learning sake. I find the 11 footer to be the most comfortable "bed" I have ever slept in. I found anything shorter to feel too confining and did not find any comfort advantage going longer than 11 foot.

Osulagh
04-08-2015, 17:40
You're in the height range where I think 10 feet is acceptable, but if you're not carrying the hammock or don't care about a few ounces a 11 foot hammock could offer better comfort.

cougarmeat
04-14-2015, 23:43
I tried a SLD StreamLiner and encourage you to note the cat cut on the side. I'm not saying it is bad; I'm saying it has an effect. The effect for me is when sitting in the hammock - admittedly a very small percentage of the time is spent sitting - is the fabric is very tight/ridged under my knees. To be fair, as advertised, the cat cut clearly reduces weight and adds visibility. And depending upon your height and suspension, you might not even feel that edge as you are getting in or out of it.

Pheonix6579
04-16-2015, 09:28
You cant go wrong with an 11 foot hammock, while a shorter version might be perfectly fine for you, without actually laying in one i wouldn't risk it if you have the option.