PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 tarp setups

wkborder08
04-10-2015, 09:03
I'm curious how people have rigged their 4x4 tarps.. Either for a shelter or camp kitchen..any pics or ideas would be great!

sandykayak
04-14-2015, 21:53
I've seen YouTube videos. Might have been for 3x3meters. There's a nifty way to make a tent out of it.

broadhat
04-18-2015, 15:50
I was looking for exactly the same thing - I've only found 3x3 videos and set up this semi open one today. I was surprised how fast and simple it was to set up and it's really stable. I also set up an enclosed one which was even faster and my kids are currently sleeping in.

There's loads of space in both versions and I'm going to try them both with a 4x4 tomorrow. I'll post pictures.

Semi-open:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMAtpWQdVbY

Enclosed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYO0JKPfAIo

claudio
04-18-2015, 16:18
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLqBaiFEllM

broadhat
04-22-2015, 08:39
OK so I didn't take any photos but I did set up the 4x4 in the tent and fully enclosed layouts - and it's huge. The enclosed was great but the slightly open tent was a real winner. You can easily have four people lying across the width with a lot of space for gear as well.

I think it'll be too tall for a walking pole to raise the roof as broom handles were too short. Maybe you could lash two poles together? No reason that wouldn't work or find a branch and stick a jumper over the end to protect the tarp.

I had been looking to buy an event shelter so we had a shelter to sit in when we camp as a family but the 4x4 tarp is more than adequate for that as well as being a lot lighter and faster to set up.

Snuggly_Jason
07-13-2015, 18:49
OK so I didn't take any photos but I did set up the 4x4 in the tent and fully enclosed layouts - and it's huge. The enclosed was great but the slightly open tent was a real winner. You can easily have four people lying across the width with a lot of space for gear as well.

I think it'll be too tall for a walking pole to raise the roof as broom handles were too short. Maybe you could lash two poles together? No reason that wouldn't work or find a branch and stick a jumper over the end to protect the tarp.

I had been looking to buy an event shelter so we had a shelter to sit in when we camp as a family but the 4x4 tarp is more than adequate for that as well as being a lot lighter and faster to set up.

How about telescoping painters poles? They are kind of light, some go a bit longer than broom handles, and completely adjustable. Also here is a bonus idea. Sometimes you can find paint rollers with rubberized grips that screw into those painters poles. You chop off the metal part of it leaving the handle, and then you have an adjustable length walking pole for when you are getting to camp!