PDA

View Full Version : How long?

climberslacker
09-21-2009, 00:06
I just watched Brandon's video on the tarp setup, and noticed that he had a cool method of setting up the ridgline cords. I was wondering how long those should be? Also, how long are your guy line cords? Finally how thick/ what type of cord do you use for them?

I love you all!

-CS

ikemouser
09-21-2009, 01:26
guylines on my tarp i use speer no tangle, hands down the best, ask any1. I keep about 9 feet on mine, but thats longer than most people i think. For my tarp ridgeline it is 25 feet long, if i could go back, speer is so light, i would make it 30. I will probably add some more line to my current ridgeline via double fishermans knot. I use speer no tangle for that too, i attach my tarp to my ridgeline below it via prussic knots with toggles. See my threads tarp attachment to ridgeline methods, and knot info.

One caveat, prussics are supposed to be done with different diameter lines (for ridge and prussic itself), but you can wrap it 5 times instead of 3 to remedy that.

good luck friend.

oldgringo
09-22-2009, 08:11
Make the oal of your ridgeline the same as that of your hammock/suspension.

Hooch
09-22-2009, 08:22
I also use Speer No-Tangle guyline on my ridge tie-outs. 12 feet on each end works just fine for me.

oldgringo
09-22-2009, 08:57
Make the oal of your ridgeline the same as that of your hammock/suspension.

Don't forget to add a couple of feet to compensate for the hammock's sag. My bad.

Doctari
09-22-2009, 11:42
Mine are 6' each, with mini biners & figure 9s attached. The tarp is 13.5' so I can theoretically hang my tarp from 2 8" trees about 21' apart. I can also (conveniently :D ) hang my hammock at that distance.

ikemouser
09-22-2009, 23:52
i got 25 on the ridge, 9 on the guys

climberslacker
10-03-2009, 09:58
Ike, is that 25 on each rl, or over all?

-CS

pgibson
10-03-2009, 10:29
Not Ike but I believe he is doing one long ridge line and then using prussic knots to attach his tarp to the line once it is set. As long as you have some line that will hold a prussic well this is a simple way of getting a tight line to hang you tarp from. I have played with the figure nines and am going to go back to a prussic setup for either single ridge or two shorter lines. I have been using about 12' for each end off the ridge of my tarp and some times that is a bit long, but most times I have some large trees to hang from.

climberslacker
10-03-2009, 10:40
What made you decide against the figure 9's? And I know what your taking about, my last hang was on a 2' diameter tree!

-CS

pgibson
10-03-2009, 11:00
What made you decide against the figure 9's? And I know what your taking about, my last hang was on a 2' diameter tree!

-CS

I just didn't feel like they added anything that I could not do more simply with some good old rope skilz. If you want to do a single ridge all you need to make it super fast and simple is a few of the smallest mini biners you can find, 30 or so feet of light cord and a few prussics. Tie loops in the ends with what ever knot you like, I usually do a overhand figure 8, and put one small biner on each loop, rap the tree and clip the biner back on the running line. Then with another biner clip two prussics together like you would for a crevas rescue rig with one minding the other.

Like this (sorry camera focused in the wrong spot.)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3484/3977463270_a8b7caf82d.jpg

Then you can attach your tarp how ever you wold like.

climberslacker
10-03-2009, 15:40
Thanks!

-CS

ikemouser
10-05-2009, 23:45
I currently have a bowline on one end of my 25 foot ridgeline (one single piece), i wrap the bowline around the tree, then run the rest of the wrapped up line through this bowline loop to secure it to the tree. Next i hold the line in my hand and walk over to the other tree, unwrapping it as i go. I wrap around the other tree and tighten with fig 9. I only use 1 fig 9 o my whole setup, that is the extend of my tarp hardware materials. i like it this way because knots are more reliable to me.

Triggerhpy
10-08-2009, 01:17
I have a 12x12 GG tarp and 1/8 amsteel blue that I want put all together with snake skins. So would 30' for the ridgeline be enough? I want it to be all in one neet package ready to deploy.

lazy river road
10-08-2009, 08:35
Hope this isent a hijack but it is a tarp ridge line ???...Ive watched Brandon's video as well...And with the super fly dont you just attach the two ends of the tarp to the same tree you attach you hammock to....Why do you need a ridge line running down the middle of the tarp when you can just tie the tarp to two trees...does the ridge line keep the tarp taught preventing sag...or am i missing something...take it easy on me in still learning

pgibson
10-08-2009, 09:08
Hope this isent a hijack but it is a tarp ridge line ???...Ive watched Brandon's video as well...And with the super fly dont you just attach the two ends of the tarp to the same tree you attach you hammock to....Why do you need a ridge line running down the middle of the tarp when you can just tie the tarp to two trees...does the ridge line keep the tarp taught preventing sag...or am i missing something...take it easy on me in still learning

No worries, we are all here to keep learning more stuff everyday. There are literally dozens of ways to do everything, be it set your tarp, insulation, hammock suspension, you name it. That is what makes it hard to get a grasp on hammocks at first. #1 get out and experiment with different setups and see what you like. I tried doing a set up sort of like Brandon shows in his video initially, then I tried using the figure 9's and did not like the way they held, so I have been playing with double prussic knots on a single ridge. But I think what I will use in the end is separate lines for each side with a single prussic that then attaches to the tarp ridge tie out and slides along the line to the tree to tension.

The main reason to try different ways of setting up your tarp would be to find what system you are comfortable with and can do as fast as possible, in the cold, dark, rain, snow, hail, heat, what ever so that you can get out of the weather. Once you have done it some you can get a hammock set up in just a minute or two. But setting up a tarp usually takes a lot more practice to get set in a reasonable amount of time.

Practice :) that's all it takes.

Paul

Agfadoc
10-08-2009, 17:20
I have a GG 12 x 12 and I made a single ridgeline with 12' tieouts, so 12' guyout, 12' ridgeline, 12' guyout = 36'

I have the setup in snakeskins and it works great, right now I have paracord and figure 9's but I have some Amsteel coming and I plan to do a minibiner / whoopie sling, with it.

I am looking for the fastest, easiest configuration for the tarp as I want to set the tarp and take my time with other things in the rain.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=134&pictureid=1120

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=134&pictureid=1114