PDA

View Full Version : Snipe or Dutch or?

keith
04-13-2015, 14:10
Looking for camping hammock without netting for bugless seasons. I have looked at Dutch Argon, poly, nylon
and the Snipe setup I am 5'10" 185lbs. and love my WBBB. And now I feel I need another hammock without netting. So if you would give me some opinions I would greatly appreciate them. I do a lot of motorcycle camping weight is not an issue.

Thanks

Keith

punkisdead
04-13-2015, 14:20
I would say either Dutch or maybe even a WarBonnet Traveler since you like your WBBB. I loved my WBBB XLC so much that I got a matching Traveler XL to hang indoors.

Shug
04-13-2015, 14:27
I don't have a Dutch hammock though the price is roght on them.
I do have a Snipe though.......
Many hammocks have I.
Good luck,
Shug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WsBGnwTi00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Grh7SXUIJU

roman01ca
04-13-2015, 14:46
Just ordered a Dutch 11 ft polyD. Great price for hammock and suspension. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

cataraftgirl
04-13-2015, 14:52
I have never had a Snipe, but it looks like the main difference between the Dutch and the WL Snipe is that the Snipe has the head & foot Knotty mod. The Dutch comes without suspension, so you could get what you want. Snipe comes with whoopies & tree huggers. Both great vendors otherwise.

WaffleBox
04-13-2015, 14:57
I had a Snipe and really loved it. I only got rid of it so I could get something that weighs less. The knotty mod is great.

SaltyCajunHanger
04-13-2015, 15:00
I love my snipe!! and i agree the knotty mod is great.

lckeeper1
04-13-2015, 19:06
I can't speak for Dutch's hammocks as I don't have one, but I'm sure it's quality.

On the other hand, I love my snipe. It's super comfy and I can get a flat lie, plus it's pretty light weight for what is offered

olddog
04-13-2015, 19:41
I'm sure that Dutch's products are excellent as all of his products are but I don't have any personal experience. I do have a Snipe as my hiker hammock and spent a great past weekend in it. Actually wish that it would fit in my fulltime stand.

Rolloff
04-13-2015, 21:24
Knotty Mods are one of the easiest DIY Mods you can start out with.

Melt a couple holes into the side channel near either where your head or feet hit when in the hammock, or where you feel the need to gather the loose material, with a hot needle. Thread a length of shock cord into the channel, in and out of the holes. Tie a Knot(ty) on one end. Slip a cord lock on to the other end. Tie another Knot(ty) at that end and you are done.

Big Sweets
04-13-2015, 22:17
I went with the Night Owl because of Shug's review of the Snipe, its a double layer version. The knotty mod is essential to me so definitely consider it. I will, however, be ordering a Dutch hammock in the near future.

matjbrown
04-13-2015, 22:37
I have the argon 11 footer from Dutch. It was worth every penny. Never had a WL so can't speak to those. I am betting whichever way you go you'll be happy.

jamaulwall
04-13-2015, 22:37
I have an 11' dutch PolyD as well as a wilderness logics lite owl. It all comes down to personal preference. I personally prefer the low stretch of the PolyD. Having said that, they are both great hammocks. IMO the sewing on the lite owl is a little higher quality (more uniform etc.) But I've never felt like the stitching on the PolyD would let me down so that's extremely minor for me. I really like the Knotty mod but as mentioned above, it's pretty easy to do yourself. I also really like that I can gather the end of the PolyD any way I want. Maybe I just haven't figured the whipped end thing out yet but I feel like it causes a slight calf ridge for me. I am 6'1" so having the whipped end shorten the hammock a couple of inches could be the cause of that. Regardless, it is still a very comfortable hammock. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Hobbit
04-14-2015, 04:29
I am 5' 11'' and 205 lbs. I have multiple nights up to a week long in both hammocks. The Dutch is the argon fabric. Both are 11 foot and I placed a ridge line to the same length on both hammocks. Nearly identical lay to them going from one to the other hanging in the back yard. I don't miss the knotty mod on the Dutch as the edge is up and away from my face and top quilts stay in place on the foot end. I enjoy them both.

keith
04-14-2015, 05:27
I went with the Night Owl because of Shug's review of the Snipe, its a double layer version. The knotty mod is essential to me so definitely consider it. I will, however, be ordering a Dutch hammock in the near future.

Thanks the night owl actually sounds great double layer and all. I know Dutch has quality stuff also, eventually I will most likely own both.

12trysomething
04-14-2015, 06:43
I have all 3 from Dutch and the Snipe. My Snipe was my first hammock and I still love it. Out of the 4 the Argon or Snipe would be my recommendation.

HillbillyHanger
04-14-2015, 08:33
Do not have the Argon hammocks. I've been trying to decide if I'm going to buy one of them next or an XLC. I do have the Lite Owl from WL and I absolutely love it. I called Marty and was going to order the Snipe, but after a little conversation I ordered the Lite Owl. I use partial quilts so I really don't need the double layer, but it was nice this past winter as I put my clothes that I was going to wear the next day in between the two layers. Don't know that it helped with that much heat loss, but the clothes were warm enough when I put them on the next day. As others have mentioned, the Knotty Mod is really nice and the fabric on the Lite Owl is super comfy.

keith
04-14-2015, 08:50
Do not have the Argon hammocks. I've been trying to decide if I'm going to buy one of them next or an XLC. I do have the Lite Owl from WL and I absolutely love it. I called Marty and was going to order the Snipe, but after a little conversation I ordered the Lite Owl. I use partial quilts so I really don't need the double layer, but it was nice this past winter as I put my clothes that I was going to wear the next day in between the two layers. Don't know that it helped with that much heat loss, but the clothes were warm enough when I put them on the next day. As others have mentioned, the Knotty Mod is really nice and the fabric on the Lite Owl is super comfy.

I am torn between the lite owl and the night owl which Marty informs me is now made from 1.6 HyperD. Weight no being a factor the only thing to decide is black only on the night owl and choice of brown or green or both on the lite owl. Though decision :confused:

cougarmeat
04-14-2015, 23:33
I have a lite owl and a snipe and enjoy them both. For economy, Dutch has some nice offerings. A friend gave her son an ENO double nest for Christmas. But he is 6' 4" and the ENO double is only 9'4" - a 9 ft hammock. I'm trying to talk her into returning it for an 11 ft (Dutch, BIAS, Hammeck, etc.). But the ENO is also over 6 ft wide - so there's that.

As far as snipe vs lite owl - I guess it's single vs double layer. When I started, I got everything double layer with the anticipation of using a pad. But I'm using a UQ 99% of the time and when I have to go to ground, I hope to just use a tarp and pad with plastic ground sheet.

keith
04-15-2015, 05:16
I pulled the trigger yesterday afternoon on the night owl.

binfordw
04-15-2015, 07:58
Nice,

For what you get, its a good deal Imo. We've got 2 night owl's, great quality.

keith
04-15-2015, 08:39
Nice,

For what you get, its a good deal Imo. We've got 2 night owl's, great quality.

Thanks for the re-assurance, I'm sure I will be happy with it.

Deathstar77
04-15-2015, 10:36
Snutch. Why not both?

keith
04-15-2015, 10:57
Wow did I say wow
I ordered the Night Owl late yesterday afternoon, I just received shipping conformation my hammock is on its way.
Marty rocks!! :)

TallPaul
04-15-2015, 11:56
Wow did I say wow
I ordered the Night Owl late yesterday afternoon, I just received shipping conformation my hammock is on its way.
Marty rocks!! :)
I've been real happy with WL gear. Love my lite owl.

Rob_3D
04-16-2015, 02:18
I've spent quite a few nights in my dutch 11ft nylon 1.6, it is fantastic. It's you basic gathered end hammock for a good price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygKXUgpdFtw

Ridge_Dog
04-16-2015, 03:27
Dutch all the way. Can't beat the price and comfort. I have a comfort and table top review of the Poly D.

Dutchware 11ft Poly_D hammock review and field co…: http://youtu.be/g6VXwOVH1U4