PDA

View Full Version : How long and how wide?

HungOger
04-13-2015, 15:23
I'm 5'9" 180lbs. What is the minimal length and width I should use? I currently use a Grand Trunk Double that i believe has likely spoiled me. I would like to get something lighter. I have already stripped it as light as it will go. How much am I going to dislike the other fabric options other than that of the parachute nylon? I am looking at the DH freebird, GT nano7, GT ultralight, GT single, ENO single. I am an AT section hiker and I like to be as ultralight as possible but sleep comfortably. Any info will be appreciated.

Pheonix6579
04-13-2015, 16:46
i would give the GT Ultralight a shot. I mean for $16 on amazon, if it works great if not your not out a lot of money. I use that one for my son and he loves it. Fabric isn't as soft as more high dollar options but its not bad. the size might feel a little tight but its doable and not completely uncomfortable.

ShooTa
04-13-2015, 17:43
i currently have the ukhammocks woodsmanX single - and as hammocks go its stupidly light for what you get concidering its got a removable bugnet etc. just another hammock idea for you.

Burning_Daylight
04-13-2015, 20:48
I'm 5'6" 140lbs I have a 9'6"ish hammock without a structural ridgeline that I keep in my car to throw up wherever and whenever I can. I have a 10' 1.9oz ripstop from Hancock Fabrics that has a structural ridgeline that I used for camping, until my new 10'6" HyperD 1.0 I'm still dialing in the ridgeline length but I absolutely love it. All of them are full width of the fabric around 58". The 9'6" is great for hanging out by the lake or around campus, short naps are comfortable but I need some more room for all night sleeping. The 10" is great for sleeping or just relaxing, long naps in the yard at home or sleeping all night while camping. I feel that the 10'6" HyperD 1.0 is much more comfortable and I haven't even had that much time in it yet.
As for the weight of them being an issue my 10'6" HyperD 1.0 with 6' tree straps made from http://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-2-1-inch-x-12-ft-lashing-straps-67386.html, 6' whoopies http://www.westmarine.com/buy/new-england-ropes--hts-75-dyneema-single-braid-line--P012357679 all together it weighs 278g.
That is how I get hanging, doesn't mean that you will feel the same way about the same size hammocks.
HYOH. There is no right or wrong as long as it isn't dangerous.