PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Moderator...

Crawldaddy
09-21-2009, 11:42
Im def not a computer guru and this is my fav site in the whole world but Im having a problem/question...
Whenever I turn on my computer, I do an AdWare scan and it continually finds cookies planted on my computer. This happens when I know Hammock Forums is the only site I visit. Is it possible that somehow other sites have added something on my comp that loads the cookies on even when Hammock Forums is the only site I visit? thanx, bill

Hetairoi
09-21-2009, 11:47
I'm not a mod here, but I do play one in real life. Almost all sites use cookies to some extent and HF is no exception, plus, some of the google ads I see at the bottom of the page come from doubleclick, which most adware scanners will want to remove. I would wager this is what you're finding.

As a donating member you have the choice to turn ads off, I've not tried it, but I bet that would solve your problem.

HTH.

animalcontrol
09-21-2009, 11:54
I'm not a mod here, but I do play one in real life.
HTH.

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? :lol:

angrysparrow
09-21-2009, 12:49
I do an AdWare scan and it continually finds cookies planted on my computer

Hetairoi is quite right.

Cookies aren't 'planted' to track you. They are a normal site validation tool, used for a number of different purposes (read posts, read threads, last visit time, etc). Without cookies, many of the site features wouldn't carry over from session to session.

Donating members can indeed remove the ads. Simply typing 'off' in the 'Turn Off Ads' box at the bottom of the UserCP Panel (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions) will do that. But, I like seeing the banners at the top (let's you know when JRB is running a sale...)

Crawldaddy
09-21-2009, 16:34
Replies accepted and...thanx!