PDA

View Full Version : Decent beginners set up.

CowPlow
04-15-2015, 21:18
I know this has been asked countless times but bear with me, I have a good reason for asking.

I am looking for my first Hammock and recently received about $100 in Amazon gift cards and would like to use them towards a hammock set up.

I have seen many positive things about the Grand Trunk UL which is available for pretty cheap. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with hammocks avaible from Amazon dealers only?

Thanks for any input provided.

ccolclou
04-15-2015, 21:35
I had the Grand Trunk double, did not like the width or stretchiness. I loved the hammock bliss (http://www.amazon.com/Hammock-Bliss-Sky-Bed-Asymmetrical/dp/B00AQEO78Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1429151535&sr=8-7&keywords=hammock+bliss) I got afterwards. Not as much of a fan of the version with a net though. I will say I had a minor problem with it at one point and the owner, Dov, treated me wonderfully.

grannypat
04-15-2015, 21:45
I know you asked about a hammock, but I'd suggest you get a tarp with the amazon gift cards. Many people seem to be happy with their hennessey hex tarps: http://www.amazon.com/Hennessy-Hammock-ft-x12-Double-Wide-DOUBLE-WIDE/dp/B0094NLB8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429150941&sr=8-1&keywords=hennessey+hex+tarp. Tree straps: http://www.amazon.com/Eagles-Nest-Outfitters-Polyester-Hammock/dp/B008OXZNDO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1429151048&sr=8-5&keywords=hammock+tree+straps

If you watch, sometimes the tarp goes on sale.

Neither of these items are the lightest gear, but not the heaviest either. You don't mention your height, weight and probable use (i.e., hiking, car camping, lounging about the yard, etc.) which would help with a hammock selection. The GT UL is pretty small and you will still need to get some type of suspension.

cataraftgirl
04-15-2015, 21:45
I would highly recommend the Trek Light hammock, either the single or double. I bought a Trek Light double 5 years ago, and it is still going strong. I have tried out numerous other hammocks, but I've always kept my Trek Light. It's a quality product, and available on Amazon. Get a better suspension system, and a simple bug net and you'll be set.

Mrknot
04-16-2015, 00:03
I know this has been asked countless times but bear with me, I have a good reason for asking.

I am looking for my first Hammock and recently received about $100 in Amazon gift cards and would like to use them towards a hammock set up.

I have seen many positive things about the Grand Trunk UL which is available for pretty cheap. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with hammocks avaible from Amazon dealers only?

Thanks for any input provided.
Another newbie here, but I have a couple of questions.
How much do you weigh?
How tall are you?
The GT UL is a pretty nice hammock, but it is only rated for about 200# and is pretty short to boot...
I bought a couple of them for my 8 & 10 yr old daughters and they love them!!
I do like my GT Single, but at 5'11"(me), I just ordered a longer hammock...the 10' single just felt a little short...
Like others have said, use the gift card to get a decent, light(ish) tarp.
I opted for the Kelty Noah's 12...huge, (12'X12'), weighs in at 2#, but it's rugged, versatile, and pretty bomb-proof...

TallPaul
04-16-2015, 01:11
If you don't limit yourself to Amazon, its going to open up a lot more suggestions.

Can you use the Amazon $100 for groceries/dog food/whatever and then use the cash money you saved toward the hammock?

12trysomething
04-16-2015, 02:14
If you don't limit yourself to Amazon, its going to open up a lot more suggestions.

Can you use the Amazon $100 for groceries/dog food/whatever and then use the cash money you saved toward the hammock?

This is a really good idea.

ShooTa
04-16-2015, 02:41
i would certainly look at the cheeper hammocks/ trying to MYOG - hell even i have ordered a dutch hammock - and ill probably pay more in shipping than the hammock itself.

as everyone has said spend your gift card carefully on a tarp - take your time - watch the sales...

xrayit
04-16-2015, 08:00
Take a look at the Snugpak All Weather Tarp on Amazon, I bought a couple of these to use in fair weather. The weight is much heaver than the WB superfly with a lot less coverage but also less than half the price. The all weather shelter packs up to a reasonable size considering the 9x9 diamond layout.

Pheonix6579
04-16-2015, 09:05
Actually just had his conversation with a scout troop I am trying to introduce hammock camping to. For a beginner, without knowing height and weight, you could get a whole system for about 100 bucks. I echo dumping a lot of money on a good tarp. For the troop we went that route because if the hammock doesn't work out you can always use the tarp for a newer hammock or use it for tarp camping as well. think of the tarp as a reusable investment The GT UL is a solid first hammock for a great price if it falls in your weight range. IMO unless your way over 6ft, you still can probably get a comfortable lay in the GT UL. Will a longer hammock be more comfortable...yes, but with starting out you can have a cheap entry and see what is important to you.

FWIW, this is the setup we got for the scouts to introduce them to hammocks

$70 Tarp:http://www.amazon.com/Hennessy-Hammock-ft-x12-Double-Wide-DOUBLE-WIDE/dp/B0094NLB8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429150941&sr=8-1&keywords=hennessey+hex+tarp

$20 Hammock:http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Trunk-Ultralight-Hammock-Forest/dp/B001AIHB76/ref=sr_1_14?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1429192222&sr=1-14&keywords=grand+trunk+hammock

$10 Tree Straps: http://www.amazon.com/StanSport-31005-Stansport-Hammock-Straps/dp/B001RKYMJW/ref=pd_sim_sg_or_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=12WX3SCY75Q9BD7S6CW0

total cost: $99.53

just brush up on a few knots to get things all together: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/70824-Essential-Outdoor-Knots-according-to-Rat!

Happy Hanging.

CowPlow
04-16-2015, 10:11
Thanks for all of the advice. I forgot to add the essential information needed in buying a hammock haha! Anyway, I am 5ft 8in and around 210. I plan on using the setup for some hiking trips and possible a motorcycle trip or two.

It never crossed my mind to look for a tarp from Amazon and get a hammock from another supplier. Seems like the Grand Trunk may be a little small and not able to hold up my roundness. I'm exactly limiting my budget to $100 but would like to get some decent gear. I understand only using Amazon has narrowed the choices available to me but there isn't much else I can use them on at the moment.

This may also be a stupid question but what is the difference between PolyD, NylonD, and Argon for Dutchware hammocks? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to any of the fabrics?

muckypops
04-16-2015, 15:31

This is a really good idea.

I second that opinion. Then you can get whatever you want!

muckypops
04-16-2015, 15:39
This may also be a stupid question but what is the difference between PolyD, NylonD, and Argon for Dutchware hammocks? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to any of the fabrics?

The PolyD is not very stretchy, NylonD is in the middle and Argon is the most stretchy. That's what I've been able to surmise from reading the forum. I have the PolyD and it is indeed not stretchy.

If you're having trouble finding info on the forum because the search isn't very good, try googling whatever you are searching for followed by site:hammockforums.net.

For example: hammock fabrics site:hammockforums.net

This method of searching the site always seems to return better results for me at least.

Hope this helps.