PDA

View Full Version : Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

nitsud315
04-16-2015, 15:55
Hello all! Before this past weekend, i was just a recreational hanger, but then got my first nylon hammock. I have decided to jump into hammock camping, and hopefully drag some friends and family along with me.

A little about me, I am a Navy Veteran and live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Tulsa is where I was raised, and is where I am raising my kids. After serving as an Aviation Electrician's Mate for 8 years, I decided to leave the Navy. I now work in an engineering department, and am using my G.I. Bill to go get an EE degree.
Most of my time is spent sitting in a cubicle, poking at a computer. The change from the fast-paced life on an air-craft carrier, to office has been rough, and its showing itself in my steady transformation into a pale loaf of a person. It is time to get active again. This Summer I plan to get outdoors and get my self right again.

For the past seven days or so, I have been stalking the forums and ravenously devouring YouTube bandwith, trying to figuring it all out. Words that i thought i knew, such as "whoopie", "ridgeline", "tree-hugger", and even "hang", all have new meanings to me.

I am excited to get outdoors, go out to the woods, and find first two trees!

Tree Hangers
04-16-2015, 17:22
Its good for the soul :cool:

skater
04-16-2015, 17:25
Welcome, and thank you for your service. Now go get some sunshine!

Shug
04-16-2015, 21:04
Whoooooo Buddy))))) Welcome to the hammock quest.
Shug

BillyBob58
04-16-2015, 23:14
Welcome! Must be fun hanging where there's a bright, golden haze on the meadow, and the corn is as high as an elephant's eye, and all the sounds of the earth are like music!

ylnfrt
04-17-2015, 01:27
Welcome, I'm kinda new also but love it. Thank you for your service and maybe we can hang sometime.

irondog
04-17-2015, 07:33
Welcome out and welcome to the forum. But, most importantly... Welcome to hammocking! Lots of vocabularial expansion and jargony lingo to keep folks on their toes and seduce innocent browsersby. :) And, as you've doubtless discovered, lots of innovative & novel gadgetry to set the hook and play the old hands to shore. I'm from, and started my life in, Great Falls, MT, where I'd (as much as you) enjoyed the Great Plains, but suffered an agonizing sparseness and scarcity of trees. Hopefully you'll not have to overcome such a deficit in your region. - P.S. I was army, but, while attached to the U.S. air force, in Germany (Ramstein A.F.B., Bitburg), I'd had occasion to meet lots of avionics personnel/nerds and they gave me the best times I'd had, while attached. Not the same as, but, similar to, your M.O.S. Jussayin', by way of friendly conversation.

DamnYankee
04-17-2015, 08:42
Welcome. Get out as soon and often as possible. It's good for the mind and body.

nitsud315
04-17-2015, 09:03
Thanks all!
This really seems like a nice community! -(even got a "woo buddy" from Shug!!)-
I am looking for a local overnighter to do a shakedown hike. Any suggestions? I've got some DIY gear that im anxious to destroy...