PDA

View Full Version : Nube Shelter: Sierra Madre Research

BackPackHiker
04-20-2015, 11:35
Hey HF members! I just finished a review of the Nube Shelter and have officially decided that this will be my go to shelter for most trips, it is outstanding! Check out the video if you are interested.

8u4pOZILQa4

Jari Perho
04-20-2015, 12:52
Nice voiceover work! I first thought that your hammock was exposed to the wind, but I guess that's actually just the gear stash.

I still wonder for what purpose such a heavy, bombproof shelter is actually intended? I imagine a tent making more sense, if a large, well pitched tarp isn't cut out for the job.

dakotaross
04-20-2015, 14:36
Overengineering sells (to those who don't know what they want/need).

mmorton
04-22-2015, 07:41
Well, I think it's pretty cool. It seems like a lot of people go to a lot of effort to "mod" or "tweak" this tarp or that tarp to stay dry or bug free using rings, poles, this or that, so, I don't know if its bomb proof or "over engineered", or if it's just taken the tweak factor out but I'm thinking about getting one . Thanks for the review!

Shug
04-22-2015, 07:47
Nice to see the Nube system. Been kinda curious to see what hammockers think, those who actually have one.
I would like to see a walk-around view and a distance shot of the whole set up.
You look excited to have it.
Whooooo Buddy)))))
Shug

GoatHanger
04-22-2015, 08:59
I think it looks pretty cool. I like the idea of an integrated gear hammock. I respect their mission, too. Really cool of them.

I wouldn't buy one, only because I told myself I already have too much stuff. I need to DIY from now on.

I'd love to check one out in person though. Derek Hansen did a little review on one also.

Boston
04-22-2015, 09:26
Well, I think it's pretty cool. It seems like a lot of people go to a lot of effort to "mod" or "tweak" this tarp or that tarp to stay dry or bug free using rings, poles, this or that, so, I don't know if its bomb proof or "over engineered", or if it's just taken the tweak factor out but I'm thinking about getting one . Thanks for the review!

At 42oz (2.625lbs) for just the Nube system (no hammock) it's very heavy. Interior space seems fairly low for it's size (width wise) due to the way it's constructed. It's exorbitantly expensive (because it's complicated to make) at $275. It also doesn't provide wind protection without the added "winter barrier" (bringing system cost to $350).

As a comparison, you can get a Superfly for $130, and a Traveller Bug Net for $65 and have the same or better protection for $80 less, and 15.5oz less weight (just about a pound). And there are cheaper options out there for the bug net (like Dutch Fronkey style for $50). And I'm not convinced the Nube provides even the same protection the Superfly gives. Definitely not wind coverage. This set up works with no tweaking.

In that context, I argue this is over engineered/too complicated for what it provides. Sounds good in theory, in practice it just doesn't seem worth it.

BackPackHiker
04-26-2015, 21:06
Good points, I am going to do a comparison review on the superfly with the Nube shelter after reading your comment, I am interested to see how they compare. Thanks

BackPackHiker
04-26-2015, 21:08
Nice to see the Nube system. Been kinda curious to see what hammockers think, those who actually have one.
I would like to see a walk-around view and a distance shot of the whole set up.
You look excited to have it.
Whooooo Buddy)))))
Shug

Thanks Shug! I am really excited to play around with it. It is a fun system. The creators are fantastic people with an awesome mission as well. I will make sure to get the shots you mentioned in the next video.
LOVE YOUR WORK BY THE WAY

SilvrSurfr
04-26-2015, 21:29
Due to the weight alone, I think the Nube will always be limited in popularity. It hasn't exactly caught Hammock Forums by storm. Of course, there are folks who are attracted to over-engineering, and they certainly have good marketing, so they'll probably sell quite a few.

ScouterForLife
05-15-2015, 01:09
I have a Nube that I purchase last black Friday and a Kelty Noah's tarp that I had before that. During the fall and winter I use the Noah tarp because it provides great rain and wind coverage in terms of square footage of protection and I don't have to worry about bugs. But as Spring warms up I have been using the Nube. And definitely will be using the Nube this Summer at Pictured Rocks in the Michigan Upper Peninsula. I sleep in a 11 foot long by 80" wide hammock that I made myself from RBTR 1.6oz HyperD. I'm 5'10'' 200lbs and I think hammock sleeping out to be comfortable and as worry free as possible. I use an Incubator 0deg +4oz or a 40deg +2oz from Hammock Gear as my under quilt depending on the temp and a down sleeping bag unzipped 3/4 of the way as my top quilt. Obviously with the specs I've outlined I like a spacious hammock so I can lay on a good angle and with a good curve so I can toss and turn to my hearts content and be comfortable and warm.

I'm definitely not a minimalist and would rather be prepared then sorry. Unless you are talking about Cuban Fiber or Dyneema fabrics, which are the most expensive fabrics out there, the lighter and thinner these nylon or polyester fabrics get the less durable they become whether it be from a snag from a thorn, a rock, wind whiplash, or just general wear. There is a balance between weight and durability. So I prefer to use Noahs tarp (polyester) in the winter because it does not stretch like nylon, provides really good square footage coverage, and seems to be the perfect denier to feel like it won't fail me. I feel the same about the nylon on the Nube.

I used the Nube down in the Coyote Gulch of The Grand Stair Case (Escalante in Southern Utah) National monument for 4 nights with 8 year old daughter this April and then again recently at a Wilderness First Aid training course where I slept outside because I knew sleeping in the cabin with all the other men (aka bears) meant no sleep. With my daughter we hambunked it inside the Nube. She slept in her slightly shorter hammock above me. While thier were not a lot of flying insects down in the canyon there was plenty of caterpillars and a few spiders so the integrated bug net that encompassed both of us together was great and I still had a spot below me to throw my clothes for the night. I feel the weight for one thing is not bad and two the setup provides me a great way to be as protected as I would be in a tent and also make my gear all available to me as it sits below in its own hammock.

My fear about these ultra-light hammocks and tarps is that they may be too small in a rain storm with some good wind, too small for comfort and inconvenient when it comes to keeping your gear dry and easily accessible. I don't want to have to pop out of my bug net and let mosquitoes in to grab something from my back pack or heaven forbid have to get out of my hammock to go get it. In my "perfect world" it should be just as convenient as a tent but suspended in the air, off the ground.

irondog
05-15-2015, 15:14
I've not touched, nor even laid real eyes on, the actual article. So there's my qualification to comment on the thing. It's weak-to-dead, at best, but that's not enough to stop ME.:D That said, here I go! The thing offends me in ways deep, and not easily described. And "fantastic people" with an "awesome mission" alert and alarm me.:thumbdown: I've not yet seen such good things come from such bad combinations, and I'm yet unconvinced that it has now given us The Hammock of the 21st Century.

jdenkevitz
06-10-2015, 12:35
How is condensation in it?

Paul-Stefi
06-12-2015, 16:16
I do not have one so let that be my disclaimer...But from my experience with those who do have them, the people who tend to buy these are the ENO people who haven't seen a real quality setup. People like to be able to shop at one place and buy everything they need even if that means extra weight, cost or headache down the road. I have some ENO using friends that have the NUBE, they so far rarely ever use it and if they do its just in the backyard. Final thought, does anyone else think it was pronounced Newbie? Kinda funny and ironic when you think about it that way.

-Paul

Kamper Kurt
06-14-2015, 23:17
Looking at it, I think that they have included several nice options. Attaching a small velcro strap where the guy line is attached for easy storage is nice addition. It looks so roomy, but at a cost. If you don't want to set up the tarp one night it means that you can't have the bug net. On a starry night I love to fold my tarp back to get a full view of the sky. Nor can I tell how optimized the space/coverage is for the amount of material. I am hoping that I will run into someone that has one at some point so that I can get a better look. I am sure there are ideas/features that could improve other setups.