PDA

View Full Version : Fat Boy Dumping His Hammock--What Now?

chrislrob
04-26-2015, 12:29
I've owned a Eureka Chrysalis bridge-style Hammock for years. Loved it. But 2 years ago, I made the mistake of grabbing the spreader pole above my head while turning over, and it bent in half... On my first winter camp... Not a good night. But okay. Mistakes were made. I researched on the forum and ordered a replacement pole that was three pieces. Been using it occassionally since, with no problems. Last weekend I went camping in the Shawnee National Forest, here in Illinois. Beautiful, even though it rained most of the weekend. Two minutes after climbling into my hammock and out of the rain, the replacement pole had a catastrophic fail. It was a sudden snapping at the center joined ends that sent the pole whipping past my face. I spent a second carefully checking to ensure my eyeball hadn't been torn out. And that's it. I'm done with this hammock. Ready for a change, anyway. I spent the night in my car.

So after seriously considering going to the ground, I've decided that I need a new hammock.

Because of that, I need your help. I'm 6'1, 260 lbs.

--I'm a three-season camper
--I want to go lighter*. With straps and carabiners, I was at about 5 lbs in my Chrysalis.
--I want to avoid shoulder-squeeze. But accept that I don't necessarily need a bridge to do that.
--I have limited funds.
--I accept that I'm going to need an underquilt and am resisting buying a new sleeping bag since I probably need a topquilt, BUT...I have limited funds.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

*I realized last year that I was a backpacker that wasn't backpacking much because there was so much IN my backpack that it had stopped being fun. So, no more 35+ lb packs for me. And if you're wondering, that was for 2-3 day trips! In summer!107386

Rolloff
04-26-2015, 12:47
Dutch has excellent price points right now. I'd at least give him a call.

BIAS is another. SLD or Simply Light Designs can fix you up, all for around the same price points and weights light enough to qualify.

Dream, Wilderness Logistics, Warbonnet, just take a look at our vendors section, can all put you into their signature models for a bit more, and Papa Smuff basically makes every single unit custom to order, all for extremely reasonable pricing.

Now that you know what you don't want contact a few of the vendors and let them know. They know their products, can and will do what it takes to get you into something that suits your needs.

chrislrob
04-26-2015, 12:58
Thanks for the reply! Going to take your advice. A little out of the loop--never even heard of SLD. Haven't been nearly as involved as I'd like.

gunner76
04-26-2015, 13:03
While Dutch makes some great hammocks I find them a bit too narrow for me at 6ft 2 & 275+lbs. I have been using a BB 1.7 DL for 5 years and lately I have also been using an ENVY S DL from Hammeck in the ACU Camo which is 64+ inches wide. Both are very comfortable and I find the ENVY S to have a massive amount of room inside to move around in.

chrislrob
04-26-2015, 13:20
Wow. We have very similar builds. The BB is the first hammock that came to mind when I thought about a new hammock. I'll take a look at the Envy S. Thanks. How's the lay for you? Can you get fairly flat?

gunner76
04-26-2015, 14:04
Can you get fairly flat?

I feel like I get a slight flatter lay in the BB but I am still extremely comfortable in the ENVY S. I have more room in the ENVY S but I like the shelf in the BB. Hard to say which is a better hammock as the two hammocks are built differently. I don't think you would go wrong with either one.

Picture of my ENVY S at the Umstead Park Hang. I did use a UQ and TQ but I never did have to deploy the tarp past the way you see it in the picture.

daneaustin3
04-26-2015, 15:09
If you can diy you can save some cash. I did a complete setup for my son for $250. That's hammock, uq, tq, tarp and suspension. All good to about 30*.

tbird911
04-26-2015, 15:52
Talk yo Randy at Dream Hammock

Ratdog
04-26-2015, 16:26
You have nothing but options.

A sleeping bag works fine for a top quilt. If the zippers annoy you, that's what bugged me, then get a TQ.

The for sale forum here on HF has loads of gear at sub retail prices.

Underquilts are sweet but a pad works and some prefer them.

64" wide, 10-11' long, you'll be set. Have really wide shoulders? Go a bit wider on the fabric.

Heck a tablecloth hammock can be pretty darn comfortable, I still use mine.

Check out the vendors mentioned, keep an eye on the For Sale forum, set a budget, decide what you want, if something pops up, pull the trigger. Best of luck.

cjayflo
04-26-2015, 17:38
One of our forum members makes large size bridge hammocks on a as needed basis. He will work with you and make what you need, you pay the materials cost only. If you like what he sends you I think you then pay him what you feel it was worth. For the life of me the name escapes me right now.

chrislrob
04-26-2015, 17:44
Thanks. I've done some DIY gear, but have given up on the idea of really sewing anything. I'm thinking a Jarbridge UQ to start. Maybe buy a used one and use with my current sleeping bag as topquilt and my Grand Trunk UL, just to get an idea of how it feels. Then add on a good topquilt and a BB or some other hammock in the coming months.

chrislrob
04-26-2015, 17:45
Is that Dr. Hammock on Youtube? I think he may actually live in Illinois.

cjayflo
04-26-2015, 17:49
Here he is.
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/99086-Mackinac-Bridge-Hammocks

chrislrob
04-26-2015, 17:50
Thanks. That's good advice. Probably my biggest frustration with my Chrysalis was trying to use it with a pad inside the hammock. I'd just figured out how to get it held into place last fall. And now this has happened. I don't like fiddly and getting my hammock, pad, and bag to play nice was like trying to stack three marbles! I'm going to try an underquilt.

chrislrob
04-26-2015, 17:55
Oh! Not the guy I was thinking of--if I was thinking of anyone! Hope his MIL is feeling better...Hasn't posted for a while.

Dux
04-27-2015, 07:30
I also am 6'1" 250lbs +/- 10lbs. My 60lb +/- 5lbs Drahthaar (hunting breed dog) sleeps in my hammocks with me. Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter-Pro is my go to during bug season. Trek Light Gear Double and Infinity Leisure the rest of the year. None have failed yet (SB-Pro is 4-5 years old, TLG is 3 yrs and showing some wear, Infinity is 1 yr). No shoulder squeeze, many comfy hangs in four seasons in each of them.

Never tried a bridge other than naps in the usual yard hammocks most nonhangers use. With the above 'mocks I put a rolled up flannel shirt or such under my knees. They're getting old (but I'm not! lol) and sometimes ache after long hikes, which hanging can sometimes exacerbate. That could be more the condition they are in after a lifetime of stompin' the woods than hanging. Easy fix at any rate. YMMV.

chrislrob
04-27-2015, 07:52
Nice, Dux. I think the first hammock I ever bought was a Skeeter Beeter knockoff...never used it because I could never figure out how to keep the netting up properly! Then bought my Chrysalis. Probably around here somewhere... What do you use for an underquilt? I think I am going to buy a Jarbridge--new or used before--I buy another hammock.

Zilla
04-27-2015, 12:57
I am alittle over 400 lbs and have a diy bridge that holds just fine,, if the spreader bars are your only real issue and your willing to give your hammock one more try then do what i did,, go to Quest and buy a set of the bigger poles, al, .742 - 2 piece pole, then go to Lowes or home depot and pick up a piece of pvc that's just big ehough to slide your pole into, it may be a hair loos so you may need to do one or two wraps of duct tape just at the very end of youe pole, then once you slide it in it wont move.
My bars are 42 - 44 inches wide and hold my 4-- lb butt just fine in my bridge.
Y ou would be surprised at how much stronger the bars are once inside the pvc,,, you wont break them.!!

chrislrob
04-27-2015, 14:18
buy a set of the bigger poles, al, .742 - 2 piece pole, then go to Lowes or home depot and pick up a piece of pvc that's just big ehough to slide your pole into,

Now THAT is an interesting idea. I don't want to get rid of my hammock, but that can't happen again. But I still can't figure out why it happened the first time...

Mrknot
04-27-2015, 23:13
Thanks. I've done some DIY gear, but have given up on the idea of really sewing anything. I'm thinking a Jarbridge UQ to start. Maybe buy a used one and use with my current sleeping bag as topquilt and my Grand Trunk UL, just to get an idea of how it feels. Then add on a good topquilt and a BB or some other hammock in the coming months.
Just curious,
How does your GT UL work for you?
It's only rated up to 200 lbs...
I bought a couple of them for my daughters and I've been afraid to even look at them for fear of instant explosion :-)
You and I are about the same size, more or less...

ironfish77
04-27-2015, 23:45
I am very concerned about falling, I did something similar to Zilla, however, I used some heat hardened bamboo out of my yard. Light, natural, cheap and sturdy and no chemicals were used to grow it.

Oops, I just re-read Zilla's post. I put the bamboo support inside the spreader bars. Same principal I think, added strength with a small weight penalty.

I recently finished a DIY Bridge, I just used bamboo for the spreader bars, so far so good.

chrislrob
04-28-2015, 01:20
Just curious,
How does your GT UL work for you?
It's only rated up to 200 lbs...
I bought a couple of them for my daughters and I've been afraid to even look at them for fear of instant explosion :-)
You and I are about the same size, more or less...

In truth, I've never slept in it overnight. And I never hang it high. But I've been in it many more times than my camping hammock. Never a problem. It is my number one summertime, outdoor, party favor! I bring it to a bbq and people always react like I brought a pony for the kids to ride! And this link: http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Trunk-GT-05-Ultralight-Hammock/dp/B001AIBJSI says it's rated to 250 pounds.

chrislrob
04-28-2015, 01:21
I am very concerned about falling, I did something similar to Zilla, however, I used some heat hardened bamboo out of my yard. Light, natural, cheap and sturdy and no chemicals were used to grow it.

Now THAT is neat!

Dux
04-28-2015, 12:01
I still don't have an UQ. :( Been using a closed cell foam ThermaRest pad (much better than WallyWorld blue pads in warmth, nonslip and weight) with and without Reflectix or a car Windshield reflector between it and hammock. I find that space between the Reflectix/Windshield reflector/Space Blanket and me equals warmer and dryer. I have sleeping bags in three different temperature ratings so I grab the appropriate one for that trip or just a couple blankets in summer. Did buy a down sleeping bag and a couple woobies that I plan on turning into DIY UQs soon. :)

For suspending the Skeeter Beeter's bug net there are a couple tricks I figured out. First, loop the shockcord through the tabs (the four black loops stitched to the bug netting) once. In other words, put the end of the shockcord through the tab like threading a needle then come back over and through again. Do that with each tab. This holds the tension and I can then adjust the width of the bug net however I want and it will stay. Having a pooch in the 'mock I want as much room as possible!

I have a SRL (structural ridgeline) outside the bug net and run the shockcord over it. I run the SRL that way because in winter I can flip the 'mock and hang without the bug net being in the way. The SB-P was my first "real" hammock and I set it up for four season camping. If you don't want to have a hammock ridgeline, use the tarp's or just run a line between the two trees you're hanging from and use that. You can get away with bug netting without a ridgeline but it's easier having one.

In fair weather with no tarp or the tarp up high, tie the ends above the height of the hammock and so there is some tension on the shockcord. Then when you get in, the hammock goes down plus tension is increased and the bug net stays nice and high.

In porch mode run the shockcord on the porch ("open" or horizontal) side same as in the fair weather method above. Then on the "closed" (vertical) side of the tarp run the shockcord along then out from under the tarp and otherwise tying the shockcord as in the fair weather mode. Or up to the ridgeline, depending upon the trees you have to work with.

In really windy and rainy weather with the tarp sides down, you can run the shockcord out and up to the trees you're hanging from or just tie the shockcord to the ridgeline. You won't have as much width but it still works ok.

Just a matter of fiddling with it a bit and you'll soon find a way to HYOH!!

sampson
04-28-2015, 20:20
I am 6'0 260lbs. For lightweight backpacking I use dutch 11' PolyD & bugnet. I sprung for a hammock gear under quilt and top quilt. I have both a HG standard cuban and toxaway tarp. Even with the heavier toxaway, ground cloth, quilts, SRL, stakes, guy lines and everything my whole sleep setup is right at 5lbs. I find this more than comfortable. I would consider a dream hammock if I purchased again, but very happy with the dutch hammock.

I also have the dutch argon, but don't take it in the woods as it is a little too stretchy (but very comfy). I also have a warbonnet xlc 1.7 dl. This is a very nice hammock. Great for the back yard or car camping. But that alone is 2.5lbs and very bulky. The dutch setup is less than half in both size and weight including the winter sock or bugnet. Good compromise of comfort for weight.

chrislrob
04-29-2015, 07:49
Interesting, sampson. I am determined to lighten up. My Chrysalis didn't need a tarp, but even with lightened suspension, I was bang-on 5 lbs for it alone. I have assumed that the end game for me here is the WBBB xlc 1.7 dl--just like you have. But if I could save the money AND the weight AND the bulk... I mean, I've heard the Dutch 11' is a little tight in the shoulders, but there must be a dozen inexpensive alternatives.

As for the bulk, that's driven me crazy for years. I have a 5 lb Aether 70 pack--why does my sleeping bag, hammock, and pad fill so much of it up?! But I realize the gram weenies are right--big packs make it easier to justify more gear. Or, in my case, heavier, bulkier gear. And whenever I would think about replacing my 5 lb backpack, I would remind myself that I would STILL need a 70L pack to carry all of my bulky gear, so why not just keep using my good one?

A vicious circle, reinforced by financial considerations.

But I've now decided to reduce my pack size to about 45 liters and MAKE it work. Probabaly either a REI Flash 45 or Osprey Hornet. Both weigh in the 2 lb. range. I'll dump my 2 lb pad for an underquilt--Jarbridge, probably--and pick up a decent-sized inexpensive tarp. Make a fronkey bugnet.

Really appreciate your comment. Gave me a lot to think about.

chrislrob
04-29-2015, 08:00
Thanks, Dux. I'm going to dig out my SBP knockoff from Parrot Bay this weekend and see what I've got! I think your way solves my problem.

Trail Runner
04-29-2015, 13:37
One of our forum members makes large size bridge hammocks on a as needed basis. He will work with you and make what you need, you pay the materials cost only. If you like what he sends you I think you then pay him what you feel it was worth. For the life of me the name escapes me right now.

That would be opie. I've been sleeping every night in one of his Mackinac Bridge Hammocks since last July. Excellent hammock and he specializes in making them for larger folks but also offers them for us lighter people as well (6', 160 lbs.).

sampson
04-30-2015, 06:18
Just to give you a visual, the one one the left is my Dutch Polyd setup with the winter sock stuffed in there. The one in the right is the wbbb xlc 1.7 dl And sure dream hammock or others can make something wider but similar in size to Dutch.

chrislrob
04-30-2015, 07:00
BIG difference, sampson! Funny story: about 5 years ago, when I decided to really start backpacking, I went to an REI store. While there, I joked with the clerk about backpacking advertisements. I said, "So funny that in those ads in Outside magazine, they never show the person carrying a sleeping bag on their pack, huh?! I mean, what do they sleep in at night, amirite?!"

She seemed confused. Then she said, "But the sleeping bags are IN the packs..."

And she took me over to the sleeping bags section. And as I stood there thinking about my 45 degree, 5 lb, Coleman sleeping bag that packed down to the size of a large beach ball, I was like, "Wow. I've got a lot to learn..."

RisingEagle
05-05-2015, 13:49
I'm 6'1", 230lbs, and have also been struggling a bit finding gear light + comfortable + cheap (you really only get to pick two of the three)...

I have an Osprey Atmos 65 AG pack. right about 4lb, but the suspension (for me) makes up for it. after 28 years in the military, carrying military rucks - this thing is a dream. Gram weenies scream at me for having such a heavy ruck - but I really like the features of the back air channel, the adjustability to my size, and it's the most comfortable pack I've put on to date. I did also try an Osprey Aether, there was no comparison for me, this was 4lb well-spent. Oh and I don't use the lid - it has a nice flap that works as a rain-lid when you choose to not carry the lid.

I also have a WBBB-XLC, DL. with woopie sling and tree hugger suspension, that bag comes to 34oz (so just over 2lb). Again, I'm balancing the three choices, with a bias toward comfort. I admitted to myself that I would never be a 10lb ultralight guy - but I can easily hit 25lb packs. At my size, I don't really notice a 25lb pack. For me - the WBBB-XLC is way more comfort than my dutch 11' argon hammock, or the ENO doublenest i used to use. the dutch hammock is great, don't get me wrong - and the price can't be beat - but for comfort, a WBBB with the integrated bug-net, and the foot box, and the shelf, and just the overall comfort of that hammock - well, it's like comparing a luxurious recliner to an office chair. It is an expensive choice to make, but weight-wise it's not so bad. I went DL because I slide a pad inbetween the layers (which is awesome) but I just ordered a UQ. Still - 34oz for a double-layer hammock that's as comfortable as the WBBB-XLC - for me, 2lb is worth it.

so with those two items I get to 6lb, when if I went with lighter options (and less comfortable) I would be at 3lb. Is the 3lb difference worth it? In my opinion, absolutely. You can't beat a good night's sleep, and you carry the ruck almost the entire time you're awake - those two pieces of gear have got to be the most comfortable (and capable) in your entire kit.

FWIW - my entire load-out for a "AT thru-hike" (which I haven't done yet, although I've done multiple gear shake downs and 3-5 day sections) is about 21lb without consumables (food, water, fuel - no hidden hanky-panky). If I add in 9lb for 4 days of food/water/fuel (a bit high of an estimate) I'm still only at 30lb. That's carrying a WB SuperFly tarp(23oz with rigging), a 12oz hygiene kit, and 5lb of sleeping bag / pad. A bit heavier than many, but it allows me to sleep in peace and comfort in 35-40 degrees, with the torrential rains pouring down. AND it gives me a nice, comfortable pack to put my stuff in that feels like it conforms to my body.

anyway, thought I'd share my personal experiences since we're pretty similar size-wise. I would recommend against getting caught up in the "lighter is always better" syndrome (I know, that's blasphemy over on WhiteBlaze) and instead say to go by REI or someplace, and try on some packs. You may be amazed at what a 3-4lb pack feels like, especially with some weight in it, compared to a 1-2lb pack that has thinner straps, etc. And don't write off comfortable hammocks just because of weight - it's an option, but really it takes a self-eval of what kind of hiker are you. For me - 21lb is pretty nice for all of the comfort I get to have - I can occasionally "camp" when I want to instead of just always "hiking".

good luck!

-c0de-
05-05-2015, 15:23
If you can diy you can save some cash. I did a complete setup for my son for $250. That's hammock, uq, tq, tarp and suspension. All good to about 30*.

Where did you get your insulation for the TQ and UQ, what was the cost, and what amount did you end up having to buy?

chrislrob
05-05-2015, 19:22
RisingEagle, you and I do have a lot in common on this. My eventual setup was to be WBBB xlc with superfly. I have already ordered an REI Flash 45. Weighs 2.5 pounds. And your post makes me feel better resisting an even lighter pack that was only 35 Liters for the same price.

I mean, let's not go crazy! LOL!

But tell me this: money is a concern for me in the short-term--how well did your pad really work in the WBBB xlc? I have a large Thermarest Prolite (http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Therm-A-Rest-ProLite-Sleeping-Pad_10085795_10208_10000001_-1_)already . If I buy a DL xlc, will it be sliding around in the pocket like crazy? I would love to just go ahead and buy the BB if I'm going to end up there anyway. It's a $200 hammock vs. $150 full-length quilt. Especially since these bugnet prices are considerably higher than I thought. As it stands, I was going to buy the UQ and test it in my GT Ultralight, but I already know that I'm not going to be comfortable in it overnight. But I am really looking forward to solving my sliding pad problem, although that was happening in my slippery bridge hammock versus an equally slippery sleeping bag.

But if I could buy the WBBB and just hold out a bit on the underquilt.... And you really give me hope on my ability to go lighter, if not ultralight. And you're right, guys our size don't necessarily need to go sub-10 to get relief.

Thanks for your comment. This thread has been great! Thanks, everyone!

Dux
05-05-2015, 20:24
...have also been struggling a bit finding gear light + comfortable + cheap (you really only get to pick two of the three)

...lb difference worth it? In my opinion, absolutely. You can't beat a good night's sleep, and you carry the ruck almost the entire time you're awake - those two pieces of gear have got to be the most comfortable (and capable) in your entire kit. Words of wisdom right there.

genixia
05-05-2015, 22:52
For 3 season use on a budget I'd look to save both money and weight in the hammock first - you should easily be able to get a hex tarp, hammock and associated suspensions under 3lbs on a reasonable budget. Consider synthetic quilts, for 3 season use the weight penalty (vs down) is not a major issue, but the cost savings are significant. You'll need to allow a bit more room in your pack, but that shouldn't significantly change your pack weight or costs.

daneaustin3
05-06-2015, 00:44
Where did you get your insulation for the TQ and UQ, what was the cost, and what amount did you end up having to buy?

I purchased 5.0 climashield from ripstopbytheroll. 5 yards covered both the tq and uq.

chrislrob
05-06-2015, 07:01
Ginixia, you make very good points. If I can buy a good hammock, especially one with a pad insert, I can use my old pad for the summer. And I probably will stick to synthetic quilts first. daneaustin3, I have made a DIY plastic tarp--and I have accepted that it is the limit of my abilities or will. I am not going to make an UQ. My denial about that is why I haven't bough one in the last 2 years.

joshcrsn
05-06-2015, 08:54
6'1" x 235. I've tried several hammocks by the cottage vendors on here but wasn't able to find one wide enough. I purchased a "Pares" from Sierra Madre and i LOVE it. It's 78" wide a allows me to REALLY get flat. No shoulder squeeze, no calf pressure. I own top and underquilts from HG and the Jacks and have had no issues keeping them under me in the ultra wide hammock. I also purchased a Yukon hammock during the "woot" sale a couple weeks ago ($19.99) and its pretty wide as well. Total lbs with the superfly, suspension, hammock and quilts = 5.25 lbs and I'm good to about 15º

RisingEagle
05-06-2015, 16:58
But tell me this: money is a concern for me in the short-term--how well did your pad really work in the WBBB xlc?

But if I could buy the WBBB and just hold out a bit on the underquilt.... And you really give me hope on my ability to go lighter, if not ultralight. And you're right, guys our size don't necessarily need to go sub-10 to get relief.

my pack works really well for me, but it's probably about 10L too much space for summer; I started getting 'serious' about gear in feb, when it was cold, and I was carrying a lot of extra stuff to boot. Since then I've scaled back on some things, eliminated some gear entirely, and replaced heavy stuff with (more expensive) lighter stuff. BUT - I would bet my current, 21lb loadout (which is still 3-season, has gear to take me to the 30s) would fit in a 50ish-L pack. I'm betting you may have to hang a thing or two off the Flash45 outside, but overall I think it will work well for you. I usually have thru-hike on the mind tho, but really the only huge difference in a 3-5 day hike and a thru-hike is resupplying so...

as for the WBBB-XLC - if I had to do it all over again, I would do the exact same purchase. Even when I did my VA-in-mar hike, and used the sleeping pad and sleeping bag (in an ENO hammock of all things) I had followed a lot of advice on here and only partially inflated the sleeping pad. Probably about 2/3 inflated - squishy, but still enough to push me up. To be honest, it didn't move under me at all, in an open, single-layer hammock.
once I got the WBBB-XLC, and have the double layers - that mat stays in place exactly where I put it. it is a square mat, so probably a bit different than the ProLite, but I would bet as long as you inflate it 2/3 of the way, and align the pad so it's in the footbox and headbox, that pad won't move at all. I've had my hammock on a home-built stand in the garage the past two weeks, and have slept in it probably 5 days (I open the garage door some to let cold air in, testing different insulation configs) but that pad hasn't moved with all of the hopping in and out, sleeping, reclining, etc.

I would highly recommend - purchase the WBBB if that's anywhere in your future plans. Keep using a pad and sleeping bag if you need to for cost until you save more up. I was actually contemplating carrying a pad and using it instead of a UQ in case I had to go-to-ground or sleep in a shelter occasionally, but I decided to give a UQ a shot (incubator-20) so I just ordered one monday. But the pad has been great, has not shifted around in the pocket, and does insulate very well.

another (very cheap) option to try is a piece of reflectix in the pocket. a 16"x6' weighs 8oz, so a 32"x6' would be about 1lb. I am not comfortable with what reflectix will be comfortable at (not enough cold nights to test it) but I do know a 32" wide pad doesn't move at all in that pocket either.

my purchase order has been tarp (WB SuperFly), pack (Atmos65), hammock (WBBB-XLC with top cover), and now UQ. This was driven by my not wanting to spend a ton at once, and using stuff I had (and didn't have) - I had a military ruck (marpat ILBE - heavy sucker at 9lb just for the ruck but it worked), a borrowed ENO doublenest, a sleeping pad, and sleeping bag. I didn't have anything for a tarp and could have gotten a cheapo blue-light-special, but I learned years ago to buy-once cry-once, otherwise I wind up spending 3x the amount of what the final purchased item would cost. So I got the tarp first because I didn't have one, and then the pack because cutting 9lb to 4lb was huge. The UQ to be honest was a luxury-purchase, because the pad has worked just fine, but I recently retired from the military so figured what the heck, treat myself. I am still struggling with my next item - either a down sleeping bag or a TQ - but I'll probably wind up getting a TQ (burrow-20) to save some weight, and fully commit to hammock life - like I haven't already ;)

Another side-note, as I was weighing items, I'm actually down to 19.8lb - so just hit under 20lb. When it warms up a bit more and I can drop long-john bottoms, sleep-shorts and shirt - I'd be around 18lb. The difference from 18lb to 12lb isn't worth the comfort I'd have to give up to get there ;)

hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to hit me up. I agree - great thread.

chrislrob
05-06-2015, 18:59
6'1" x 235. I've tried several hammocks by the cottage vendors on here but wasn't able to find one wide enough. I purchased a "Pares" from Sierra Madre and i LOVE it. It's 78" wide a allows me to REALLY get flat. No shoulder squeeze, no calf pressure. I own top and underquilts from HG and the Jacks and have had no issues keeping them under me in the ultra wide hammock. I also purchased a Yukon hammock during the "woot" sale a couple weeks ago ($19.99) and its pretty wide as well. Total lbs with the superfly, suspension, hammock and quilts = 5.25 lbs and I'm good to about 15º

I'm coming from a bridge hammock, so yes, shoulder squeeze is a fear of mine. Most of what I've read suggests it shouldn't be a problem in the WBBB xlc, at least. I'm not some freakish 6'1" 260 pound guy in the shoulders--just a regular one. And a couple of 300 pounders have said they've been fine in them. Not sure that I need a "flat lay" because I've never not had one! We'll see...

chrislrob
05-06-2015, 21:18
That's all good news. The large REI Flash 45 holds 50 liters. It's on its way. Really probably going to pull trigger on WBBB xlc. Then Superfly tarp. Then UQ. Figuring this all out has been a rollercoaster ride! But I really like your philosophy. I cut 2lbs 11 ounces with the new pack. The WBBB xlc will cut 2 lbs 12 ounces. With the fat I found in other smaller gear, I can keep my current pad, homemade tarp, and sleeping bag, and still end up cutting about 10 lbs total.

Good enough for the first round.

chrislrob
05-09-2015, 01:10
I found a WBBB XLC DL 1.7 for sale. Should be here by Tuesday. I am thrilled. You convinced me, RisingEagle!

NYmark
05-13-2015, 16:55
I just received the wbbb xcl dl 1.7 slept three night in it so far great. I'm a big guy to 6 285. i used a thin pad and slept down to 45* with a 32* down sleeping bag open like a TQ

chrislrob
05-13-2015, 19:39
Got mine yesterday! Will set it up this weekend, hopefully for an overnighter. I have a poncho liner on its way. Hoping that it works as either a top or bottom quilt. I'm a warm sleeper and I'm only looking at buying 40 degree quilts so if I can make the liners work...

You didn't have any trouble with the pad sliding around? What width was it?

troutalope
05-18-2015, 20:49
I just ordered the same pack! Should be here tomorrow! Glad you found a hammock! Can't wait to see some pics of it hanging in the trees!

chrislrob
05-18-2015, 21:07
I took the pack out this weekend when I tried out the Blackbird. Think it's going to work great now that I've lightened my load a bit! Had a little trouble getting my little boy out of it! 108901

TRU
05-24-2015, 21:15
I think you'll be happy in your XLC. I'm a round guy - 350# at 5'10". I only get out in my XLC a few times a year, but absolutely love it. My first hammock was the WBBB, but the WBBB XLC feels much better to my wider body. Enjoy your XLC!!

chrislrob
05-24-2015, 22:07
Good to hear, Tru! Was hoping to do an overnight tonight but tons of rain so I bagged it.