PDA

View Full Version : Cuben

ikemouser
09-25-2009, 23:31
Seriously, i had no idea cuben was NEARLY $30 A YARD!!!! I was thinking about making a pack cover that would double as my water bag for a gravity filter system using a sawyer inline filter (like a ula amigo pro just different filter and cuben bag), it would also double as my food hang bag if needed. however..i am thinking twice since i saw the price. What is close to cuben at weight/strength? anything? might just make it in sil.

Trout
11-18-2009, 20:18
You could try and do a group buy.

Trout
11-18-2009, 20:19
I was thinking cuben could be nice for a DIY rain jacket - like a packa.

GrizzlyAdams
11-19-2009, 00:47
You could try and do a group buy.

Cubic Tech are the people who make Cuben material. Here's their current product sheet (http://www.cubictechnology.com/Product_Information_files/Cubic_Tech_Product_Line_Specifications.pdf)

You buy from them in increments of 9m. I've participated in a couple of buys involving a small number of HF members. It's still ain't cheap! I got a quote on CT2K.08 (0.6 oz /sq yd) in the neighborhood of $21 /m for standard, $24 / m for olive drab.

it's a light olive drab :cool:

It makes sense to partner with others not only because of the cost, but because no matter how much you buy, Cubic sends it in a big heavy tube by UPS that has a big heavy shipping cost associated with it.

Grizz