PDA

View Full Version : first hang :)

jesusfreak
09-26-2009, 09:23
hello i'm new here, i just got my first hammock yesterday in the mail its an explorer ultralight and i love it i hiked out into our woods and slept out over night, and i'll tell you i've never been so comfortable in the woods before, my feet got kinda cold and i still need a good sleeping bag but it was great and i'm looking forward to many more nights in it :D. i was just wondering what you guys use under you to stay warm?, or what a cheap way is until i can get a better insulation system. thanks

medicdude332
09-26-2009, 09:27
Welcome Jesusfreak! I'm relatively new here also, but I've found this place ROCKS for anything hammock and backpacking related. There are some great, very well-versed folks here.

Again, welcome to the addiction! Hello, my name is scott and i'm a hammock addict.... :D

medicdude332
09-26-2009, 09:29
And to answer your question about keeping your backside warm - two letters you'll learn very well very quickly: UQ

Stands for Underquilt - there's an entire section dedicated to this - I know HH has their own system for an UQ, but there are MANY options available.

angrysparrow
09-26-2009, 09:33
Welcome to the forum.

The cheap insulation route is to use a CCF pad under you, like the blue foam pads from WalMart. Try that first. If you have problems getting/staying on the pad in your Hennessy, then you might look into a SPE (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm). That will keep you warm for little $.

There are some here that can't sleep on pads because of sweating/condensation. After experimenting, if you find that you are also like that then you can save your pennies for a nice UnderQuilt from one of the manufacturers here on the forum.

Hawk-eye
09-26-2009, 09:36
Cheap and quick ... pad ... works ... not as comfortable and has issues but that'll get you through the night. Most people that use them use the pad extender at the torso .. shoulders to hips so you can get the extra width. Check the forums ... lots and lots of possibilities and good tried and true advice.

Ramblinrev
09-26-2009, 09:37
I'm a real advocate for the HH Super Shelter. I like mine a lot. That said, a good quality underquilt will do as well just costs more initially. _For the price_ I think the Super Shelter is the best deal bar none for the Explorer.

Hawk-eye
09-26-2009, 09:38
Wasn't quick enough ... dang those "sparrows" fly fast! :rolleyes:

MacEntyre
09-26-2009, 10:08
For the price I think the Super Shelter is the best deal bar none for the Explorer.
That is a fact! The alternatives are fascinating, though, and not much more money!

Use a pad for as long as you can. Find out how to use it in comfort at low temps. Use your existing sleeping bag as a top quilt for now. Read up on how to use the Supershelter, as well as down and synthetic Top Quilts and Under Quilts. Don't replace your pad until next spring! By then you will know what you want. :cool:

- MacEntyre

jesusfreak
09-27-2009, 19:32
thanks guy's, i'll definitely do the pad for now, the one from speer hammocks looks nice. hennessey actually sent me the super shelter first on accident and it looked good but i was wondering if it would fit in the snake skins?

jesusfreak
09-27-2009, 19:37
oh and does an uq go on the bottom of the outside of the hammock or do you sleep on it on the inside of the hammock? thanks.

angrysparrow
09-27-2009, 19:39
UQ's hang below (outside) the hammock fabric.

MacEntyre
09-27-2009, 19:53
oh and does an uq go on the bottom of the outside of the hammock
Yes.

or do you sleep on it on the inside of the hammock? thanks.
No.

You're off to the races now!

:cool:

jesusfreak
09-27-2009, 19:59
ok so now i'm wondering if i could buy a down comforter and sew a cover for it that has loops at both ends and, boom, you got an under quilt, but that sounds to easy so tell me why that would not work lol

KerMegan
09-27-2009, 21:10
It would work with some caveats- rather heavy for backpacking- very bulky- comforters have way more feathers than decent sleeping bags and it would need a gathering channel at both ends or some radical surgery to fit under your hammock without wasting half the material at points above/beyond your head and feet. as a "Proof of Concept" you will gain valuable information; which will inform your future decisions. Just don't spend too much; try and get a used one at a garage sale or thrift shop.
HTH, KM

jesusfreak
09-28-2009, 16:22
well i have a down comforter for a twin bed that i used inside the hammock the other night,and it rolled up really tight i thought, so i'll try that idea, but this week i'll use it to sleep on inside the hammock and i'll bring another blanket to use as an over quilt. its going to be in the low thirty's at night so i'll let you know how it worked.

Ramblinrev
09-28-2009, 16:33
well i have a down comforter for a twin bed that i used inside the hammock the other night,and it rolled up really tight i thought, so i'll try that idea, but this week i'll use it to sleep on inside the hammock and i'll bring another blanket to use as an over quilt. its going to be in the low thirty's at night so i'll let you know how it worked.

Be prepared with some kind of closed cell foam if you are going to sleep on the quilt inside the hammock. The down will compress and you will lose loft, essentially negating your warmth. A quilt _can_ be adapted well for an underquilt if you don't mind doing some sewing on it. A gathering channel on the head and foot is not a hard thing to add.

The problems I've had with my quilt/sleeping bag adaptations is the weight of the quilt has required a very burly suspension system to avoid the weight of the item from causing sag that opens up gaps underneath. But the problem is not without solutions. You just have to tinker with it.

Thijzzz
09-30-2009, 15:29
Is use my HH with a Snugpak underblanket (=underquilt), works for me but I have a zipper in the netting so I can get in from the top.

Quick question for thos who know:

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Snugpak.html

It seems that the only commercially made cheaper underblanket/quilt on the market today is Snugpak's. Snugpak is based in England, but I know only of 2 shops who sell this in the UK, so I suppose it's a rare item.

Are there any other commercial underquilts from the US for under $ 100,-??
(Speer and Jacks R Better ar at least $ 200,-.)