PDA

View Full Version : new to hammocks and can use some advice.

rayman87
05-05-2015, 01:14
Hello all,

I'm new to the world of hammock in and like many, woot got me. I bought a yukon Outfitters v2 camo but haven't got to try it cause I need things to hang it with. I've been watching shug religiously to learn what I can and I'll be going the tree strap with whoopee and Ridgeline.

What I wanted to ask is, I'm 6 ft and 220 lbs, do you think the YO hammock I got will fit me comfortably? It'd 9 ft 9 in long and 4 ft 11 inch wide.

Also, any got any suggestions for really cheap but quality (the best my cheap bums can afford) top quilts and underquilt or underblanket or anything really that can keep me warm but for a low price. I spent too much on other things and the wife is on me like a hawk.

I was thinking of repurposing a sleeping bag. I've even seen people do like a pea pod sleeping bag style. Is that really effective? I like backpacking will that add a lot of weight?

thank you all

webhanger
05-05-2015, 02:08
On the cheap! Work with what you have. Lots of folks around here are using ground pads and sleeping bags for the main thing, starting out in particular.

Hang out in the DIY section for some good ideas. Repurposing old gear can be pretty effective and not too expensive. At least until you get addicted. Good luck

Rolloff
05-05-2015, 02:41
Yukon is going to be a little short and also narrow for you. I'm thinking an 11' from BIAS or Dutch will at some point have your name written all over it.

The Yukon will give you a good idea though if hanging is going to be for you, and any decent whoopie sling or cinch buckle suspension you get to put on it, will be able to be switched from one hammock to another, when you do upgrade.

Like mentioned, use what equipment you have Sleeping Bag, Ground pad, until you can swing an UQ. The under insulation is the most important, and for most it's the most dramatic comfort upgrade. No more fighting all night to stay on a pad. You can roll around and find insulation every where you need it. Even though the UQ i's just better at slowing heat loss than a pad, it still feels to me like it's making heat itself. Pads just don't do that for me.

Gideon
05-07-2015, 01:20
I can appreciate your questions. When it comes to quilts and such I have a few strong opinions...

1. to maximize your experience in the woods; save the cash (no credit :) ) and buy quality up front. Stuff from Hammock Gear etc. In the long run you'll enjoy it more and you may spend less by simply buying the right/best thing up front.
2. DIY "can" be economical but be realistic. You have to buy the stuff and put it all together and if you don't do it well, you'll spend a lot of money and end up with subpar results. If you're really handy and doing it yourself sounds like a lot of fun then "maybe" it's for you.
3. Use pads to start. I don't really recommend this because you will want quilts at some point! However, you can go online to the foam factory and buy 1/2" or 1" closed cell foam and that does a reasonable job of keeping you warm. It can be a pain to carry and it can move around alot at night but it can get you by.

When it comes to hammocks and warm sleeping my ultimate recommendation is simply to save up and get the quilts. They are that good and if you spend the money once on the right thing it really is more economical in the long run.

Enjoy the day
Gideon

Burg54
05-07-2015, 11:17
Congrats on getting into the hammock game and off the ground.

I would say that hammock is going to be a fine starter-hammock for you but I would guess that if you find you love hanging in the woods, you will eventually upgrade. You can do that for $100 or for $400....but eventually you will want something better/more suited to your needs.

As far as a quilt goes, I say if you have a pad give it a try. I did (with my eno) and it was just OK. Once I decided to go for that upgrade I was telling you about, I went for the HammockGear quilts (to pair with my new WB XLC and Superfly Tarp) and its a whole new world. Easy. Comfortable. Warm. Start saving now :-)

If you really want a quilt now and don't want to dish out tons of cash, I would take a look at the Arrowhead-Equipment synthetic quilts. I have heard nothing but good things about them and they are affordable.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/c3/KAQ_Synthetic_Quilts.html

Txfly
05-07-2015, 22:03
As rolloff said, I think it will be a bit short on you and you will get that calf ridge pressure. I would recommend an 11' hammock to maximize your comfort. As everyone else has eluded to the insulation, do it right and start out with at least an UQ which is most important (look at arrowhead equipment for affordable quaility) and use what you have sleeping bag wise for your top insulation. You could try a CCF pad for under insulation as another option, but you will soon switch after messing with it constantly.

Dhagan
05-11-2015, 11:53
I just bought the same hammock a few weeks ago. Im 5'10" and I can get an extremely flat, comfortable lie in the hammock. For 50 degree, you might want to try a PLUQ. Poncho liner under quilt. I picked up a poncho liner for $10 at an army surplus store. Im going to make one for summer use. I can tell you, anything under your hammock is more comfortable that fighting with a pad. Just have to make sure it has right temp rating. So a repurposed sleeping bag will be more comfortable than a pad, but not necessarily warmer.

Nodust
05-11-2015, 12:49
The best thing about hammocks is the system is modular. Pick the item that you are most displeased with and upgrade. Under 10' hammock is a little tight for me and we are same height. Get a good tarp and insulation. The hammock is the cheapest thing to upgrade.

DCJohnson
05-11-2015, 23:44
I am also new and am 6'0" 220lbs. I just tried out the hennesy expedition asym and it was pretty decent. To be honest, I wouldnt mind a little more length. But, amazon has the hammock AND tarp for $160 right now, so thats not too bad for value based purchasing. Ill tell you this though, I recently realized that your bottom insulation is going to make more of a comfort difference than anything else. I can move and get comfy in the expedition, but theres nothing I can do to get comfy when my backside feels like an icecube.

Russtang
05-12-2015, 12:35
I'm 6'2"/6'3" 185 lbs. I started out in a Yukon 11'6" hammock and felt comfortable in it. Tried a buddy's 9'something hammock and felt cramped. I'm a pretty restless sleeper though.