PDA

View Full Version : Can you use shock cord for drip line?

brohawk
05-06-2015, 19:17
Regular string I use as a drip line on my continuous loops keeps sliding or coming off. Larks heading shock cord tightly seems to hold really well, but not sure if the shock cord material will channel water like string.

nothermark
05-06-2015, 19:19
I would think the braided cover would be fine for grabbing the water. The core will not matter. Try it. ;-)

aka.jobbe
05-06-2015, 19:30
how do you attach the string?

mine dosnt move at all.
shock cord is heavyer and wuld brake with time.

brohawk
05-06-2015, 20:29
how do you attach the string?

mine dosnt move at all.
shock cord is heavyer and wuld brake with time.

I have it larks headed on the continuous loops. Set up and tear down while stuffing into the double ended stuff sack has loosened them up a time or two. Just trying different materials for a better bite.

Gideon
05-07-2015, 01:13
Just about anything the water runs into will work. Your idea is fine. You'd be surprised how little it takes to get that bead of water to follow it and drop down :)
Gideon

aka.jobbe
05-07-2015, 04:41
try using a prosik knot, thats what i'm using. 1 wrap around at the start any 3 at the button, so that the drip line is closest tot he water.

brohawk
05-07-2015, 14:50
Thanks. After watching Dericks video on water breaks, Im more inclined to make sure they work.

lattie11581
05-08-2015, 03:14
I had good luck with a piece of cotton the shirt about 1x6" with a 1" slit as to larks head it onto the line

Russtang
05-12-2015, 12:44
Regular string I use as a drip line on my continuous loops keeps sliding or coming off. Larks heading shock cord tightly seems to hold really well, but not sure if the shock cord material will channel water like string.

Have you tried poking the string through the loop rope with a needle? Then just tie a knot in it to keep it from pulling out?

aka.jobbe
05-13-2015, 06:32
Have you tried poking the string through the loop rope with a needle? Then just tie a knot in it to keep it from pulling out?

That wont work, unles he tyes the string the hole Way around the loop rope.
Ore ells water could run past it.

ShooTa
05-14-2015, 16:36
an old shoelace is the ultimate drip point ... and it does not matter how you fix it to your suspension....

irondog
05-15-2015, 11:15
Yes. Bungee would work near as well as anything anyone else's using. -- The following is merely fluffy filler. -- Let us recall that even a well placed STICK will function quite admirably as a perfectly functional waterbreak/dripline. That said sincerely, I'll admit to having superstitions and suspicions that prussiked absorbent, natural fiber (Cotton?) strings, especially when double sequenced, make superior material for driplines. Something to do with (Take off your science hat and put on your tinfoil!) after having been saturated with water, absorbent fibers becoming a sort of "super conductor" for further, even rapidly moving, dynamic volumes of water. This to do with water receiving less resistance from, and enjoying a stickier attraction to, water, than the substance of our waterbreaks/driplines. As previously stated: This's all been fluffy filler. All we're really doing here is tying together two trees and feathering our nests. The rest is just consequential symptoms of the original obsession. H.Y.O.H. and keep dry as you will; with bungee or without. I believe it was Shakespeare, or Lao Tzu, or Ol' Mrs. McGillicuddy, who'd said: "It's quite the sticky web we weave, when first we tie together trees. When once begun it's never done. And he who enters never leaves." Sagely words of wisdom, those, and ominous words of warning.

brohawk
05-19-2015, 17:18
Well hit the Thunder Swamp Trail in our area here and it poured all night. The shock cord did not seem to work well enough. My new Dream hammock got damp under my HG cuben fiber tarp with doors. Had hammock pretty well covered, so maybe its back to the drawing board.

mrh_on
05-19-2015, 21:25
Well hit the Thunder Swamp Trail in our area here and it poured all night. The shock cord did not seem to work well enough. My new Dream hammock got damp under my HG cuben fiber tarp with doors. Had hammock pretty well covered, so maybe its back to the drawing board.

I haven't tried it yet this year but once summer actually gets here and I have some time to setup in the rain I will for sure...but I have seen a few folks who use whoopies say to just tie the tail end of your whoopie sling to the taught portion of the sling which is under the tarp and you have a perfect drip line with nothing extra to carry.

brohawk
05-21-2015, 07:22
[QUOTE=mrh_on;1460183]I haven't tried it yet this year but once summer actually gets here and I have some time to setup in the rain I will for sure...but I have seen a few folks who use whoopies say to just tie the tail end of your whoopie sling to the taught portion of the sling which is under the tarp and you have a perfect drip line with nothing extra to carry.[/QUOTE

What a great idea! I will have to try that. The only problem I see is if your whoopies are maxed out because of tree distance and the tail is not long enough. I will definetley check into it.

mrh_on
05-21-2015, 08:03
What a great idea! I will have to try that. The only problem I see is if your whoopies are maxed out because of tree distance and the tail is not long enough. I will definetley check into it.

Heh yes I did think of that right after I posted...that would definitely be a time you'd need something else.