PDA

View Full Version : RBTR HyperD 300 Dry bag

hk2001
05-11-2015, 20:00
I picked up a Molly Mac Pack 2 weeks ago, and I was instantly hooked. The one thing I was missing was some dry bags. I have a love/hate relationship with Sil when it comes to dry bags. I love that they're waterproof.. and they hate that I tend to try and overstuff them. I've ripped through more lightweight dry bags then I care to admit.

So I ordered myself some HyperD 300, with pure experimentation in mind. I didn't follow a pattern, I simply made a standard square bottom stuff sack, and instead of using a draw cord closure, I added 3/4" webbing and hardware to the top. Without seam sealing it, the clothes inside remained dry after 20 minutes in the shower. I intend on hitting the PU side of the stitching with Mcnetts (due here in 2 days) and then I'll test it's dunk ability. But as it is, it more than meets my needs for resisting rain while strapped to the MMP.

The material itself is strong, yet no where near as stiff as some other 300d materials I've used. It's great to work with.

I can't wait for more colors. I cranked out 2 in orange tonight, the 4 liter bag shown in the pics, and an 8 liter bag. I used what hardware I had available.. next time, I'll order some 1/2 hardware and webbing to save some weight.

Ratdog
05-11-2015, 20:30
I really like this. Need some more large size dry bags, would like to make some custom for my pack.

Have some 1.1 Hyper D DWR I was going to use but now I need to go back to the website and check material.

boulderv7
05-11-2015, 20:31
Looking good. I love that fabric. My DIY pack out of it is great, I too can't wait for more colors (that'll be a good excuse to make another pack!). I agree, it is very flexible for its weight.

Xtrm tj
05-11-2015, 21:17
I picked up a Molly Mac Pack 2 weeks ago, and I was instantly hooked. The one thing I was missing was some dry bags. I have a love/hate relationship with Sil when it comes to dry bags. I love that they're waterproof.. and they hate that I tend to try and overstuff them. I've ripped through more lightweight dry bags then I care to admit.

So I ordered myself some HyperD 300, with pure experimentation in mind. I didn't follow a pattern, I simply made a standard square bottom stuff sack, and instead of using a draw cord closure, I added 3/4" webbing and hardware to the top. Without seam sealing it, the clothes inside remained dry after 20 minutes in the shower. I intend on hitting the PU side of the stitching with Mcnetts (due here in 2 days) and then I'll test it's dunk ability. But as it is, it more than meets my needs for resisting rain while strapped to the MMP.

The material itself is strong, yet no where near as stiff as some other 300d materials I've used. It's great to work with.

I can't wait for more colors. I cranked out 2 in orange tonight, the 4 liter bag shown in the pics, and an 8 liter bag. I used what hardware I had available.. next time, I'll order some 1/2 hardware and webbing to save some weight.

Very cool idea, I may have to give this a try. I am needing some DIY entertainment and this looks like a great project.

ripstopbytheroll
05-11-2015, 22:29

Very cool I also want to make one of these. During my breaktime today I tried to make a wallet with the HD300. A functional success, but not so pretty lol.

NWAlabamaHiker
05-11-2015, 22:39
Very nice! I just finished a dry bag out of SilNylon (from RBTR) I had left over from my first tarp project. I made mine a double layer since I was just using SilNylon. I haven't really tested it out yet, but I think it will keep things relatively dry. I think yours looks better than mine does though! Thanks for sharing. I may have to buy some of that material and try one of those myself!

hk2001
05-12-2015, 11:57
Very cool I also want to make one of these. During my breaktime today I tried to make a wallet with the HD300. A functional success, but not so pretty lol.

I should try a wallet.. I need a new one, and I should have enough scrap HD300 left over... hmmmmm

Oh, and btw DEEP PURPLE HD300 PLEASE :cool:

The bags side by side.. Quilts in one, hammock and tarp in the other.

daverr
05-12-2015, 12:48
Despite the glaring orange, all I see is the beautiful view in the background.

NWAlabamaHiker
05-12-2015, 20:01
Did you put any kind of closure at the top besides the roll top and buckles? I thought about doing mine just with a roll top and buckles, but ended up putting Velcro at the top with webbing behind it, so I have Velcro closure and then a roll top. I like the functionality of it, but the Velcro tends to want to pick my topquilt which I don't like. Just wondering about other solutions.

ksbcrocks
05-12-2015, 21:51
Looks good! I've got to make one of these now. I kept putting off ordering some HyperD 300 because I wasn't sure what I would use it for. Should have gone with my gut and bought some with my last order.

FJRpilot
05-12-2015, 22:13
Nice job! I wonder how it would work for a backpack cover? I just got a new Maxpedition sling back for my notebook at work... Nice and small but I'd like to have a waterproof cover for when it rains...

hk2001
05-13-2015, 19:24
Nice job! I wonder how it would work for a backpack cover? I just got a new Maxpedition sling back for my notebook at work... Nice and small but I'd like to have a waterproof cover for when it rains...

For something like a Maxped pack, I think it'd be a good fit. It is a little more heavy duty than most people are used to, but so is the Maxpedition pack. You could also look at using Epsilon Multicam (http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-55-oz-ripstop-nylon-multicam). It's a little bit tougher than 1.1 and has a DWR coating on it as well.

FJRpilot
05-14-2015, 20:24
For something like a Maxped pack, I think it'd be a good fit. It is a little more heavy duty than most people are used to, but so is the Maxpedition pack. You could also look at using Epsilon Multicam (http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-55-oz-ripstop-nylon-multicam). It's a little bit tougher than 1.1 and has a DWR coating on it as well.

Thanks, I will take a look at the epsilon to. Great job on this project, I really like the dry bags.