PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Options

DCJohnson
05-12-2015, 18:51
Hey Everyone,

I am looking at possibly upgrading my current hammock setup. See link below for another thread with more detailed specifics and pictures.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/109839-Beginner-Needs-Insulation-Help

1. Hammock: Hennessy Expedition Asym
2. Pad: Big Agnes Insulated Q-core (Rated to 15F)
3. Sleeping Bag: Big Agnes Bellyache (Rated to 17F)

I am thinking about buying a more expensive hammock such as the warbonnet blackbird. Basically, the tarp that comes with the hennessy Exped is so small I will have to upgrade it anyways so Im thinking it may be wiser to just return the hammock (full refund ~$200) and use that money to purchase the blackbird or something comparable. However, this will mean I need to buy a tarp separately and will STILL need to purchase an underquilt.

If this was your setup, would you go for the blackbird (or something comparable) and slowly piece together the rest (i.e. tarp and underquilt) or would you keep the exped (comes with hammock and tarp) and purchase the underquilt? Btw, Im 6'0 220lbs. The Hennessy is acceptable on comfort level but the main issue is the tarp. Thank you!

SilvrSurfr
05-12-2015, 19:13
Full-featured hammocks are certainly popular, but the hammock can be the least expensive part of your system. I like simple, affordable, gathered-end hammocks like those made by Dutch or BIAS. I like to save my money for items that provide infinitely more comfort, like a decent tarp and UQ.

goobie
05-12-2015, 22:01
If it were me, I'd listen to SilvrSufr. Go with a simple gathered end and spend your money on a good tarp. Return your current setup, take the $200 and invest in a tarp and hammock. WL Tadpoles are $90 though there are others at comparable prices.Dutch's hammocks are $33 and BIAS starts at around the same money.

In the end, I think you'll be better off, and more comfortable = happier, going this route.

SilvrSurfr
05-12-2015, 22:36
I started with a HH Expedition Asym Zip before I found out about this forum. As soon as I joined the forum, I realized the WBBB was the most popular hammock and had buyer's remorse with the HH - I really wanted a WBBB.

Luckily, I got to spend the night in one at a group hang. That's when it hit me - the WBBB is nice and all, but I'm freezing my tail off with this pad underneath me!

I scrapped the WBBB plan, bought a BIAS Weight Weenie Micro and 20* HG Phoenix UQ, and have never thought about a high-end hammock since. The UQ did more to improve my hammock camping experience than anything else (which may explain why I have three HG UQs now).

DCJohnson
05-13-2015, 02:36
Thank you for the advice everyone!!!

I like simple, affordable, gathered-end hammocks like those made by Dutch or BIAS.

How do you deal with the bugnet tarp? I was really considering a dutch hammock, still am, but the bugnet issue worries me. I know he sells a nice bug net but, and maybe this is a bit knit-picky, I like the aesthetics of a bugnet that can be zipped onto the hammock. It makes sense and many keep the net well above the body so as to prevent a mosquito from landing on the net and getting through to the body. I had a mosquito bite on my cheek last month and I really dont want to deal with that again if i can avoid it. However, I also like being able to lounge around without a bugnet in my face. Thats why i figured a WBBB would be a great option.

I started with a HH Expedition Asym Zip before I found out about this forum. As soon as I joined the forum, I realized the WBBB was the most popular hammock and had buyer's remorse with the HH

That is exactly what i was worried about and am thankful i posted this thread :)

WL Tadpoles are $90
I saw those quite a bit on this forum, I will look into those more. Thank you!

Thank you guys for your responses, I am really digging this forum!!!!!!!! Everyone is very helpful and my perspective is definitely elevated ;)

Nodust
05-13-2015, 06:52
My normal setup for bug season is a
Dream Hammock Darien -$125, zippered bugnet
Tadpole tarp-$90

By the time you buy a Dutch hammock, bugnet, and suspension you will be over $100 on it. But it is a great hammock. Just got an argon on in and like the feel of it. I'm trying the Fronkey style net out for an upcoming trip.

ShellHammock
05-13-2015, 09:58
Listen to those who have been around a long time. The importance of bottom insulation is the #1 most important thing you need to sleeping comfortably in a hammock. If you're cold, you're miserable. You can make lots of things work as bottom insulation (pads, thick blankets, PLUQs...) and many on the cheap, but you can also spend a lot of money avoiding buying something like a down quilt which will last you a very long time.

Bug protection is probably #2 on people's list of needs. It doesn't take much to fool those pesky flying bugs. Search the forums for discussions on bottom entry bug nets (commonly called Fronkey-style) and read for yourself how successful they are for people basically draping some mesh over a RL. Zippers may look cool and/or secure but can be a pain when you need to get in and out.

sargevining
05-13-2015, 10:17
Listen to those who have been around a long time. The importance of bottom insulation is the #1 most important thing you need to sleeping comfortably in a hammock. If you're cold, you're miserable. You can make lots of things work as bottom insulation (pads, thick blankets, PLUQs...) and many on the cheap, but you can also spend a lot of money avoiding buying something like a down quilt which will last you a very long time.

Bug protection is probably #2 on people's list of needs. It doesn't take much to fool those pesky flying bugs. Search the forums for discussions on bottom entry bug nets (commonly called Fronkey-style) and read for yourself how successful they are for people basically draping some mesh over a RL. Zippers may look cool and/or secure but can be a pain when you need to get in and out.

Agreed.

The insulation is much more important than a tarp.

SilvrSurfr
05-13-2015, 10:27
How do you deal with the bugnet tarp? I was really considering a dutch hammock, still am, but the bugnet issue worries me. I know he sells a nice bug net but, and maybe this is a bit knit-picky, I like the aesthetics of a bugnet that can be zipped onto the hammock. It makes sense and many keep the net well above the body so as to prevent a mosquito from landing on the net and getting through to the body. I had a mosquito bite on my cheek last month and I really dont want to deal with that again if i can avoid it. However, I also like being able to lounge around without a bugnet in my face. Thats why i figured a WBBB would be a great option.

You would not be alone in placing your faith in a zippered bugnet; the vast majority think like you. Most of us came from the ground-dwelling tent world. We know zippers; we trust zippers; zippers make us feel secure. However, I've found the Fronkey-style bugnet, sprayed with permethrin, offers better bug protection than an integrated bugnet.

I'm a mosquito magnet, and when I entered my HH Expedition Asym Zip, the mosquitoes followed me in to the hammock, snickering to themselves, "It'll take him a few seconds to zipper the bugnet so that's when we sneak in."

The Fronkey-style bugnet bottom-entry totally bamboozles mosquitoes who are used to a full-frontal attack. They can't figure out the bottom-entry. Permethrin makes even touching the bugnet a matter of certain death for any insect. With a hammock ridgeline, the bugnet stays well away from your face and body.