PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Width?

Teegs
05-14-2015, 07:08
Hey all-

So I've decided I need to get another hammock. I currently have a Hennessy Hyperlite with dimensions of 100" x 48" (From his website). I like it, it does the job, but a long time ago I tried a Dream Hammocks Dangerbird and thought it was simply amazing. Now I'm considering getting a Roaming Gnome because it's the lightest out of the bunch with the features I'm looking for.

But I'm not sure what width to get. Their hammock calculator has a range of 55" - 72" and I have no idea how to size this. Any thoughts? What does a wider hammock get me?

For the record I'm 5'8", and a lean 150lbs.

Bubba
05-14-2015, 08:32
More width with get you a little more diagonal but too much width will give you excess material that can flop over on you. I find 60 inches to be just about right for my height (5'6").

12trysomething
05-14-2015, 08:41
I am 6' and find 60" wide fabric to work just fine for me. In fact, the debate about 10' or 11' is a bit lost on me as well, I can get equally comfortable in both, but the 10' does require a little more adjusting to get into the sweet spot. The 11' you can just lay down and you seem to be there.

At 5'8" I wouldn't go past 60" (as a recommendation). I hope this helps.

Rob

MAD777
05-14-2015, 09:50
My perfect width is 54" in an 11' hammock. I'm 190# and 6'-1" tall.

perdidochas
05-14-2015, 11:19
Hey all-

So I've decided I need to get another hammock. I currently have a Hennessy Hyperlite with dimensions of 100" x 48" (From his website). I like it, it does the job, but a long time ago I tried a Dream Hammocks Dangerbird and thought it was simply amazing. Now I'm considering getting a Roaming Gnome because it's the lightest out of the bunch with the features I'm looking for.

But I'm not sure what width to get. Their hammock calculator has a range of 55" - 72" and I have no idea how to size this. Any thoughts? What does a wider hammock get me?

For the record I'm 5'8", and a lean 150lbs.

I'm a fat 250 lbs, 5'11". I have tried an extra wide hammock (90" tablecloth), and the comfort difference between that and a conventional (60" tablecloth) was negligible. The 60" is much easier to get out of.