PDA

View Full Version : Trying out new equipment

Spiguyver
05-15-2015, 08:07
Yesterday I received some new things, and over the past month I've gotten some other things that I haven't had a chance to really test yet. The last backpacking trip I took, I used a Dutch NylonD Double 1.0, and loved it. The problem that I encountered was that I didn't have a bug net, and the mosquitoes wouldn't give me a moment of peace. As a result, I had a less than restful night of sleep.

Expanding my options, I ordered an additional hammock, so that I can bring at least one of my kids with me when I head out. I got another Dutch hammock, this one the Argon 11 ft. In addition to that, I also ordered a BIAS Nano Buginator so that I could provide a layer of protection between me and the biting insects. For insulation on the first trip I used a way too warm Sierra Designs down bag, so I ordered a Jacks R Better Shenandoah quilt. To reduce a little extra weight from my pack, I replaced my Thermarest pillow with a Wilderness Logic down and fleece pillow.

Last night I set up my hammock and set out to see how I liked it. I will say that the 11 foot over the 10 foot does provide a flatter, more comfortable lay. The Argon fabric didn't seem quite as soft to the touch as the NylonD, however, it seemed to not be as slippery and provided a nicer spot to lay, not sure if that's due to the slight increase in give of the material, but it was noticeable. I immediately fell in love with the pillow. The fleece and down (other side is nylon) provided a nice warm feel behind my head, it was the perfect size and gave just enough cushion and support to make me happy. The quilt was perfect for the high 50's that I slept in last night. As I read before going to bed I was half under and half out of the covers, as I would be at home, but as the night cooled, I ended up under and even tucking the quilt, which provided a nice warm cover. The only issue I had was that I didn't use any under insulation. I do have a Gossamer Gear 1/4 wide pad that is perfect for hammocks, but didn't expect the temperature to be something that would require it last night. I will probably set it up again tonight and do it again with the pad to see if that adds the warmth I'm looking for. I was wearing under armor coldwear gear and didn't expect the cool night to have much of an impact. I was wrong, I woke up twice in the night with a cold backside. Oh well, you live and you learn.

The piece that really earned it's keep in my mind is the Buginator! No bugs getting to me was great. Only once did I even hear a mosquito outside the net, and while I hate hearing them flying around, I knew it couldn't get to me, and I woke up bite free! I did wake up and have to relieve myself in the middle of the night, and found getting in and out of the net easy. Even if you don't cinch up the cord on the bottom, when laying in the hammock it creates a seal both on the bottom of the hammock and along the edges of the hammock, allowing you to feel secure and bite free.

I experienced a great night of sleep in the hammock and look forward to tweaking my setup even more to get the most out of the experience. Last night I went tarpless as there was no threat of rain, and I have to say, looking up through the tops of the trees and seeing the stars was an amazing experience. So glad I gave up the tent for the hammock!

Spiguyver
05-16-2015, 16:06
Here are some photos from the overnight trip.108707108707108708108709108710108711

OutandBack
05-16-2015, 16:50
A copperhead now that's a good reason to get up off the ground.

Colonel Panic
05-16-2015, 22:14
A copperhead now that's a good reason to get up off the ground.

You got that right!!!:scared::scared::scared: You never know when one of those deadly copperheaded water rattlers is going to slither into camp!!!

Lastczarnian
05-20-2015, 06:43
I bought the Eno Bug net and really debated on how useful it would be and it turns out being my best piece of equipment. Bugs can sure mess up a trip!

sandykayak
05-29-2015, 14:22
Heh heh. He SAID it: "cold backside". Otherwise referred to here as CBS (Cold Butt Syndrome).

Do yourself a huge favor and get an UQ (Underquilt). Cost varies. From synthetics (AHE - Arrowhead Equipment has nice ones 3/4 length Jarbridge or full-length New River) to the on-so-nice down ones.