PDA

View Full Version : Shower Curtain Tarp, or . . . My Fair Weather Friend

Optimus
09-29-2009, 19:53
A while back I was taking a shower in a motel bathroom, thinking about backpacking gear as I often do . . . and I couldn't help but notice the water beading and sliding right down the nylon shower curtain. This got me thinking, if this curtain can keep water inside a shower . . . it should be able to keep water outside of my hammock. Being new to using a hammock to sleep in while camping, I was still looking to upgrade from a blue polyethelene tarp (heavy, noisy, ugly).

So when I got back home I very excitedly made my way down to Bed,Bath, & Beyond and purchased a nylon shower curtain liner.

:huh: :: pause ::

Ok, this is the first time I've ever been excited to go to B,B,& Beyond. :p

Where was I ? Oh yeah, so it said "Super Nylon" on the package and it was about $20. It looks to be a semi-thick nylon, I'm guessing coated. I improvised some tie-outs. They consisted of a small wooden bead pushed into the fabric in strategic locations, wrapped with a mini zip tie, with another mini zip tie inserted in that for a little 'D' ring of sorts.

-update- I had one of the zip ties fail, probably due to cold temps so I think I'll change to wrapping the bead directly with the tie out (larkshead) and just using a bread loaf twist tie to secure it.

Ok, Details . . . It's about 5'6" square (give or take) and about 8'6" on the diagonal so barely workable. I attach opposing corners to my cams (upgrading to rings when I can) and then stake out the rest. Given the length of my ridgeline this works out very well for me. The weight with mason line tie-outs (equiped w/silicone tubing tensioners) and stuff sack is 15 oz. and packs down to about half the size of a 32.oz Nalgene.

So needless to say I don't get much coverage, but it is mainly to keep leaves, pine needles and bird droppings off of me. I have used it in a light rain and a moderate hail/snow (it was kinda inbetween, like god sliced open a giant bean-bag-chair in the sky and let the styro.balls fall). More often than not it has just provided me with a false sense of shelter, and that always feels good :)

So to recap, twenty bucks and crossed fingers . . . got me away from the blue poly . . . and so far so good. :thumbup:

Slopes :)

Dutch
09-29-2009, 19:57
Looks like a real good fit. And I imagine you can get any color you want, even purple.

sir_n0thing
09-29-2009, 20:24
Hah, that's pretty cool actually! I dig the ingenuity!

lori
09-29-2009, 20:59
I saw one of those just last week!

Cool setup. Where's the brag about the homemade underquilt? :thumbup1: That was pretty cool too.

Optimus
09-29-2009, 21:32
sir n0thing, thanks . . . I do, what I gotta do.

Thanks lori . . . it's-a-coming . . .

BEAS
09-30-2009, 07:20
I believe I heard of a lady thru hikng the A.T. and used a shower curtain for her shelter. She may be the one that carried everything she had in a sack tied to a stick like a hobo.
BEAS

lazyboy
09-30-2009, 07:55
I believe I heard of a lady thru hikng the A.T. and used a shower curtain for her shelter. She may be the one that carried everything she had in a sack tied to a stick like a hobo.
BEAS

That would be Grandma Gatewood, she hiked it south to north and them turned around and hiked it north to south.

TeeDee
09-30-2009, 16:39
5' 6" - 2 hemmed together would give you almost an 11' ridge line.

Say 11' x 5'6" - not bad as a tarp. A little heavy at 30 oz, but hard to beat $40. The seam would be side to side so some silicone caulk to seal the seam and it would seem to be good to go.

chiefams
09-30-2009, 17:23
I actually thought about picking up one of these and converting it into a poncho/tarp/undercover the other day... pretty small for the multiple uses

Optimus
09-30-2009, 18:12
Tee Dee . . . Good point . . . and if you hemmed them bottom to bottom, you would have an array of grommits at either end from which to attatch from.

asimmons4 . . . I was thinking about some other uses for this once I hit the lottery and can afford to upgrade to a 'big boy' tarp. I was thinking of maybe cutting it down to the size of my DIY 2/3 UQ, attatching a reminant of space blanket (I wish I had a small piece of thermadrape, hint,hint,kind souls) by way of industrial spray adhesive, and using it as a vapor barrier/conductive heat reflector between the UQ and the hammock for a cold weather 'add-on'.

It's good to have aspirations . . .

jons4real
12-23-2011, 15:54
That is so freaking cool!

Tillamook
12-23-2011, 16:51
pretty cool! Thanks for posting:)

Josh

oldgringo
12-23-2011, 17:25
Some few of our members can turn a simple, "There I was...", into a sublime narrative. Thanks for an amusing read.:)

WonderMonkey
12-23-2011, 17:40
Good thinking! Love the creativity.

wisenber
12-23-2011, 21:35
I do not care if you did in fact use a shower curtain and have it work as a tarp or even that you have photos to prove it! Conventional wisdom says that it is not feasible! Please cease and desist from any further variances from conventional wisdom.:glare:

I would also highly recommend that you discard any plans for teaching pigs to fly!

jons4real
12-26-2011, 11:14
:huh: :: pause ::

Ok, this is the first time I've ever been excited to go to B,B,& Beyond. :p :thumbup:

We do not believe you :lol::lol::lol:

Optimus
01-02-2012, 18:51
Thanks everybody :) I'll have to take some pictures of the flaps cut off.

nateseviltwin
01-02-2012, 19:00
This is just bad ***. I'd love to see the look on one of those designer types that go to bed bath and beyond when they learn you took their shower curtain in the woods.

-Nate

TheNumberSix
01-02-2012, 19:18
Some shower curtains are teflon treated...so that makes them techy too.