PDA

View Full Version : Advice sought - comfort, hammock length, and asymmetric hammocks

jdenkevitz
05-20-2015, 18:45
Currently have an Eno Doublenest. I'm 6'1" and mid 250's.

Been finding it somewhat difficult to get a comfortable lay. I know how to hang it with atlas straps to get a 30 degree angle. What I am finding is that my left calf (i lay head to the left, legs to the right diagonally) often rubs against a tight stream of fabric tension running down the center of the hammock.

Would a foot box or asymmetric hammock alleviate this at all?

Would I benefit from a 11 foot hammock, such as the blackbird xlc or traveller xlc?
Does a longer hammock make it easier to get a flat lay?

WaffleBox
05-20-2015, 19:07
Would I benefit from a 11 foot hammock, such as the blackbird xlc or traveller xlc?
Does a longer hammock make it easier to get a flat lay?

Almost certainly, yes. But consider getting one of Dutch's hammocks to try before spending huge money on something like a BBXLC. That way you can be sure that you like the additional length with a much less expensive hammock.

jdenkevitz
05-20-2015, 23:37
I recently read that the foot box in the BBXLC is a part of the bug net, and without the net the hammock is identical to the traveler hammock. If this is the case, is there still extra fabric on one side of the hammock which gives extra foot room/alleviates calf pressure?

I'm not sure I need the BBXLC as I have a DIY bug net that works well over my ridgeline. Mainly looking for a comfortable lay.

Phantom Grappler
05-21-2015, 07:27
Try a gathered end 11 foot hammock.

sargevining
05-21-2015, 08:00
Longer and wider worked for me. The combination does not remove what folks call "the calf ridge", but there's enough room in the hammock that your legs go right past it.

The best lay I've had thus far has been on a 12 foot hammock made from material that was 68" wide. Right now I'm in a 12 footer that was made from 60" material, and I can notice the difference. I'm awaiting delivery on some 72" wide material.

The principal disadvantage of a wider hammock is "the wall" of fabric that prevents you from seeing outside the hammock while laying in it. I'l be trying the method that GoHammocks has come up with and see how that works:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/110073-The-GO!-Hammock-Fabric-Tensioners-explained

I don't see "the wall" as big a problem as some folks do. I figure my eyes are going to be closed most of the time I'm using the hammock, so it doesn't really matter.l

WaffleBox
05-21-2015, 08:06
The principal disadvantage of a wider hammock is "the wall" of fabric that prevents you from seeing outside the hammock while laying in it.l

To me the principal disadvantage is the extra weight.

jdenkevitz
05-21-2015, 10:20
Try a gathered end 11 foot hammock.

Phantom I noticed you are using the Night Owl, do you find it comfortable in regards to calf pressure? I understand that it has shock adjustments for the foot box. Does this help? Is the night owl asymmetric cut? Right now i'm looking at the BBXLC and the Night owl.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Phantom Grappler
05-21-2015, 10:35
Jdenkevitz Night Owl no calf pressure on diagonal lay and the knotty mod helps to reduce but not eliminate wall of fabric. Can lay either right or left just by flipping hammock over and the wall of fabric is on side opposite the porch mode side. No wall of fabric on porch side. I might see if Marty at WL will make a 12 footer as he does custom work. But I like my Night Owl.

Phantom Grappler
05-21-2015, 10:37
And the knotty mod helps to make a foot box and head box of sorts-- it keeps you from hanging over the edge.

ccolclou
05-21-2015, 10:41
I found the seam uncomfortable on the Eno as well. I also found that it was too stretchy for me to get a comfortable diagonal lay - the stretch kept allowing gravity to gradually push me towards the center. I would try a hammock that is one sheet of fabric, and with less give than an Eno - any of the manufacturers here, or a tablecloth. Let us know what you find.

gunner76
05-21-2015, 16:54
I am 6ft 2 and 275+ lbs and I have a ENO DB that I have slept in. I found it wide enough but too short to very comfortable. There days the ENO only goes with me on day hikes so if I feel the urge to stop and take a break I have a hammock that I can set up and take down fast.

MAD777
05-21-2015, 18:21
Hammock comfort is most affected by length. Width has a lesser affect. Footbox like Warbonnet, makes it effectively longer (at the price of some versatility).

Ridge_Dog
05-21-2015, 19:42
I started with ENO DN and then the jungle nest hammock. I was never really comfortable. I am 6'1" and 230lbs. I bought a WBBB XLC and loved it. I decided to try an 11ft Dutchware offering because I needed a back up for my friends. I think the Dutch hammocks are just as, if not a bit better, then the BB XLC. Add a bug net and you have a great hammock, which is super comfortable, for under 90 dollars.

jdenkevitz
05-22-2015, 20:42
Thanks everyone for all the advice.

I ended up ordering a 12 foot Trail Lair from Simply Light Designs.