PDA

View Full Version : What is the PERFECT length?

tight-wad
05-08-2007, 20:33
Some say that I'm kinda dense, and others say that I'm kinda insensitive (but they all say that I'm ugly...) I've been experimenting with a couple of Speer style hammocks trying to find that PERFECT sweet spot in length. I can't really say that I can feel the difference. Is this topic already extensively covered in a forum somewhere?

I'm 6- feet tall (5'11 5/8" for the engineers in the room), and I have experimented with 7, 8, and 9 foot lengths, 54" width, straight fabric, and the asym dimensions that ? hammock engineer? posted. Longer is better, but too long just adds weight and could extended beyond the rain fly. Too short, and you can't do diagonal, and you're cramped. Where's the sweet spot? 2 ft longer than height? 1.5? 3.0?

Thanks

Just Jeff
05-08-2007, 20:37
I like 3+' longer than height, between the knots. So I start with about 10', then hem and whip. I could probably trim a few inches off of that and be just as comfortable. I'm 5'10".

tight-wad
05-08-2007, 20:56
so ~9 foot hammock length, and then you like a structural ridge line, so how long is that (to set the perfect sag)?

Just Jeff
05-08-2007, 20:58
Play around with it...probably somewhere 95"-105" range, depending on what feels good for you.

slowhike
05-08-2007, 21:09
i like starting w/ a 10' length if i'm whipping the ends & not tying a knot in the ends.

tight-wad
05-08-2007, 21:10
ok thanks. Compared to the ground, all the lengths and sags I've experimented with feel good. Just wanted to try to get it just right before cutting up bug nets, etc., and doing more sewing.

blackbishop351
05-08-2007, 21:24
You'll be amazed what a difference the ridge length makes. Letting it in or out by as little as an inch is like night and day.

funbun
05-09-2007, 00:59
You'll be amazed what a difference the ridge length makes. Letting it in or out by as little as an inch is like night and day.

I second that. I say start with 12 feet and go down, instead of ten feet and go up.

I like 12 foot hammocks. I'm 6 feet 2 inches with linebacker shoulders. I think my ridgeline is 109 inches. It's longer than that if you count the biners.

Doctari
05-09-2007, 07:36

yes! As little as ONE INCH, can make a difference.

IMHO a ridge line is very important for a backpacking hammock. For a back yard hammock on a rack, not so much, but on the trail finding two trees exacltly the right distance can be, , , chalenging. But with a ridgeline (set the right length as above) all you need do is find trees that are within range. For me "within range" is from 9' to 13' apart. I can actually hang the hammock from closer trees, but that is too close for my tarp.

lvleph
05-09-2007, 07:55
Do you think that by shorting a ridgeline one can reduce sliding towards the foot end? It seems to me that might help. I should try.

blackbishop351
05-09-2007, 08:09
Do you think that by shorting a ridgeline one can reduce sliding towards the foot end? It seems to me that might help. I should try.

I solve that problem by adjusting my hang so my ridge is slightly out of level. I could see how adjusting the ridge itself could possibly work though. For a narrow hammock a shorter ridge generally means more of a "U" shape, in which case you'd tend to end up more centered instead of at the foot. For a wider hammock a shorter ridge means more sag and more opportunity to lay flat, also dealing with that particular issue. It could work - try it out! I'm not changing mine, so somebody else be the guinea pig :p

funbun
05-09-2007, 08:18
I'm not changing mine, so somebody else be the guinea pig :p

Yeah, I'm the same way. Once you get your hammock all dialed in you don't want to go messing with it.

lvleph
05-09-2007, 08:18
I think I will do it. I am currently using a 100" ridge on 120" hammock, maybe I will go down to 95".

Coffee
05-09-2007, 09:30
I made a 14' long hammock and started playing around with it from there. It turned out that I like a 10' long by 60" wide hammock. I use a 10' ridgeline with around 6" on the support ropes. Basically a long hammock with a tight pitch.

funbun
05-09-2007, 09:35
I made a 14' long hammock and started playing around with it from there. It turned out that I like a 10' long by 60" wide hammock. I use a 10' ridgeline with around 6" on the support ropes. Basically a long hammock with a tight pitch.

Hmm, I like a long hammock with tons of sag. Man, that's what I love about DIY: total customization.