PDA

View Full Version : ultralight hammock camping

Chandlercole
05-22-2015, 21:41
Hey I was wondering what are some good ultralight hammocks and general ultralight conversationsuch as suspension tarps excetra

I'm trying to assemble complete system under 2.5pounds lf at all possible

bigguy
05-22-2015, 22:10
As far as I can tell the Dutch gear hammocks are the lightest. Also his Kevlar tree straps are pretty light. Get a Cuban fiber tarp and you should be able to have it under 2.5. Unless you want that to includ insulation.

brianb
05-22-2015, 22:48
Unless you want that to includ insulation.

Good advice from Bigguy. Dutch doesn't plaster UL all over his site, but his stuff is some of the lightest. Insulation will push you over 2.5lb.

My DIY hammock, whoopie sling and nylon strap suspension, & sil diamond tarp are just under 2.5 . Once you add in TQ, UQ, bugnet, and pillow; I'm just over 5lbs. My goal is total weight under 20, so 5lbs works for me.

Good luck

Chandlercole
05-22-2015, 23:03
Thanks a lot for the input and I'm weighing the under quilt and top quilt separate from the hammock, tarp, and suspension, for the purpose of separating things into three separate categories( the big 3) backpack shelter and installation. Also any other ultralight gear you guys can recommend would be great

craige
05-22-2015, 23:20
11ft 1.1oz single layer hammock with loops - - 8oz or so
Fronkey bugnet - 6oz or so
4ft kevlar straps and hammock anchor suspension - 2.1oz
11'x10' silnylon hex tarp - 15oz or less
Guys, rl and hardware around 1 oz
Pegs - 2oz
Total 34oz give or take. Easy :)
Obviously that'll depend if you are light enough (both in actual bodyweight and in how you use your gear) to get by with a 1.1oz fabric.
You could lighten it further by skipping straight to cuben to knock off 10oz, lighter guy/rl, use sticks for pegs, shorter and/or narrower hammock (also saves weight by not needing as large a tarp) and use a H.U.G or head net for bug protection and you can be hovering around a pound without too much difficulty.

slbear
05-23-2015, 00:23
Anti gravity gear has muletape suspension that might be the lightest if you skip the huggers. I'm planning to take it along as a backup in case of a big tree or Amsteel failure.

I picked up a cuben asym tarp from zpacks that I think is only 4 oz. It's lighter than a hex or winter tarp, and you also save with fewer guylines and stakes.

I'm thinking you could connect the tarp to the hammock suspension, and skip the continuous ridgeline like the Hennessey expedition setup, but for me the would be approaching stupid light - giving up usefulness for very little savings.

locknload
05-23-2015, 07:34
I just weighed my 11' Dutchware Nylon D 1.6 with whoopies, aluminum toggles and 6' poly straps and it came out to 15 1/2 oz. SUPER comfortable!

Briguy114
05-23-2015, 09:12
Dutchs polyD 1.2 halfwit hammock with whoopie hook suspension with 4 ft huggers is like 14.5ounces. that takes care of hammock, bugnet, and suspension. then if you go hammock gear cuben fiber hex, its 5.3 ounces. You're at just under 20 ounces there without ridgeline, guylines, and stakes for the tarp. Then a 40 degree set of quilts from hammock gear will come in at 23-24 ounces. That'll get you to 2.75 lbs for your whole set up

sargevining
05-23-2015, 09:23
Check out the Butt In A Sling Weight Weenie.

11 Foot hammock weighs in at 6 oz:

http://www.buttinasling.com/wewemi.html

SGT Rock
05-23-2015, 18:58
Check out the Butt In A Sling Weight Weenie.

11 Foot hammock weighs in at 6 oz:

http://www.buttinasling.com/wewemi.html
That looks like the ticket. I'd use one of those and some AGG mule tape straps with a HUG and a Zpacks cuben tarp. That would be right in the range you want.

gunner76
05-23-2015, 21:07
Sgt Rock..good to see you posting again.

SGT Rock
05-24-2015, 05:22
Thanks, looking around to see what is new these days.

To the OP, about 5 years ago I made a post about the commercial components for a sub 1 pound hammock. Things would be slightly different today: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/20614-Full-hammock-Setup-for-13-oz-and-360

Helium33
05-28-2015, 21:10
Hey I was wondering what are some good ultralight hammocks and general ultralight conversationsuch as suspension tarps excetra

I'm trying to assemble complete system under 2.5pounds lf at all possible

Get the Half-Wit. UL and comfy

Levi Tate
05-28-2015, 23:41
That looks like the ticket. I'd use one of those and some AGG mule tape straps with a HUG and a Zpacks cuben tarp. That would be right in the range you want.

Are you suggesting that people use 1/2" tree straps for hanging?

I thought the hammock community was promoting the use of 1" tree straps (min) to help protect the trees and our future use of trees in national parks?

SGT Rock
05-29-2015, 08:29
Are you suggesting that people use 1/2" tree straps for hanging?

I thought the hammock community was promoting the use of 1" tree straps (min) to help protect the trees and our future use of trees in national parks?

I don't subscribe to group-think on hammocking. I remember the days before there were tree straps when we would protect trees by making extra wraps around the tree with the cords. I've found that 1/2" muletape with a couple of wraps is fine. However when I wrote about this on HF a couple of years ago I had plenty of people that never actually tried it tell me how wrong I was for suggesting it.

So do what makes you happy. I will say 1/2" tape is all you need. But if it offends someone or they feel I am wrong, then people can do whatever they want and carry whatever they want. I don't tell other people how they have to hang, I tell people what I have used and what works.

mychal
05-29-2015, 08:45
I don't subscribe to group-think on hammocking. I remember the days before there were tree straps when we would protect trees by making extra wraps around the tree with the cords. I've found that 1/2" muletape with a couple of wraps is fine. However when I wrote about this on HF a couple of years ago I had plenty of people that never actually tried it tell me how wrong I was for suggesting it.

So do what makes you happy. I will say 1/2" tape is all you need. But if it offends someone or they feel I am wrong, then people can do whatever they want and carry whatever they want. I don't tell other people how they have to hang, I tell people what I have used and what works.
I think the point of 1-inch straps isn't just to protect the tree. It's for political purposes and outward appearances. And that might be important over the coming decade, as hammock camping grows in popularity.

SGT Rock
05-29-2015, 08:56
Whatever. That wasn't the question.